Blizzard Warnings

Friday, December 3, 2010 "Blizzard Warnings!"
We are very homesick. I can't wait to get home to "sunny and warm" Clearwater! The talk today during my dialysis was about a possible "BLIZZARD" tomorrow. Are you kidding me? a BLIZZARD! I haven't been outside in weeks but am still freezing. People in Minnesota think hurricanes and alligators are scary - and they may have a BLIZZARD!

Our week wasn't dull - I'm getting good at keeping things exciting. We were released from the hospital last Thursday. Saturday morning I had a significant amount of bleeding. We went to the hospital to get checked out and they told me I "had bought myself a new admission and a colonoscopy." People no longer respect promises - I had my regular colonoscopy in August 2009 and was "promised" I wouldn't need another for 3 years!

Seriously, colonoscopies are nothing - everyone seems to agree the preparation is the worst part. This time the preparation caused some nausea and vomiting so Sunday was not a fun day. Monday morning I was taken down for the procedure and by Monday night we knew the bleeding was not a major problem. One of the concerns was that the bleeding might be caused by the amyloidosis attacking my digestive system. It was quite a relief mentally to know the doctors do not think that has happened. I added 4 more days to my hospitalization total and was released on Tuesday afternoon.

Please continue to lift us up in prayer. God has been so faithful and I don't like admitting when I have a "faith crisis." I totally lost my focus one night early this week and convinced myself in the middle of the night that I would never make it home to Clearwater to see my kids or grandkids again. I'm sure it was precipitated by a discussion with the doctors upon my re-admission to the hospital as to whether or not I wanted them to use "heroic measures" to resuscitate me if I "coded" during any procedure. When you lose your focus and your faith falters, you begin to imagine things - I convinced myself the doctors knew something about my condition they didn't want to tell me and that's why we had that discussion.

Now that I am again an "outpatient," I go to the Mayo Clinic every day for appointments with doctors, physical therapy or dialysis. Wednesday I had physical therapy - I did not do well. I'm having a difficult time with balance.Candidly, I'm not performing well with the strength or walking either. I've got some real helpers in Clearwater who have come out in the past to encourage and walk with me in the mall. They helped me recover from the bone marrow transplant. I'm looking forward to seeing them and having them help me again. Right, friends?

I have physical therapy this morning (Friday) and depending upon when we travel HOME I will have one or two more physical therapy sessions here.

My next dialysis is Saturday and a Mayo social worker is coordinating with a dialysis center in Clearwater to make sure I am set up for dialysis when we GET HOME.

Patra may take away my role praying for our meals. Lately, I can't get passed praying for the kids and grandkids without getting emotional. She can't get passed me being emotional. Meanwhile, the food is getting cold!

When we met with the nephrologist yesterday, he discussed my staying in Rochester another week to allow a vascular surgeon to install a "fistula"in my arm which I will use for dialysis. I told the doctor I didn't think I could handle any more "procedures" right now. I am down to 150 pounds and frankly need a little break from the probing and cutting. An additional procedure would mean an additional delay in getting HOME. I told him I was "homesick" and that I was confident I could find a qualified vascular surgeon in Clearwater.

Also today (Friday) I am scheduled for "autonomic reflex testing." Monday we meet with the doctor to discuss the findings. I'll be honest with you - I have no idea what it is about or why I am taking it. Once the doctors told me it wasn't "invasive" I was satisfied that everything else would work out. Monday's meeting with the doctor may be an important one. Please pray specifically that the doctors will say we can GO HOME!

Father, you are so faithful. Help me not to lose my focus - to keep my eyes on You! If it is Your will, I pray that we can go home soon and continue my recovery there.

We love you and appreciate you more than you will ever know. God Bless!
Until next Friday - and hopefully from WARM, SUNNY Clearwater where the only place they talk about BLIZZARDS is at the Dairy Queen! God willing.

Bob

Comments

Pam said…
Bob and Patra, I come here to check on you every week - I am just not a regular commenter. Today I want to make sure you know Dave and I are praying for you both - for all aspects of all that you are going through and for you to get HOME soon! Sending you much love through the worldwide web. Love Pam
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: Again, we look to you for your faith and strength during this ordeal of your "nasty little disease" and again, we still find comfort and solace in your journey and your willingness to share that sometimes your faith gets "tested". We ALL go thru this, especially with a time of trauma or something that seems to last "forever" and we understand where you are and that you do "refocus" and that is the important thing. Yes, you are missed in Clearwater and I know you are anxious to come "home". We pray for that to happen really soon. Blizzards are not fun, for sure, at least the sun is shining here today and supposed to get to 65 and then to 70 tomorrow. It is a little "chilly" this am, but our Sonshine is what brings us back!

You have every right to get emotional about the children and grandchildren; they are so close to our hearts and thanks for continuing to share your heart with us; that is what makes humans "connected" and knowing we are One with Jesus makes our bond even stronger!

Can't wait for you to get "home"
God bless you real good today!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra,
We continue to pray for and are proud of you and your faith. But I am going to "talk turkey "to you. The Lord made you human so He could use you with all of US. He didn't tell you couldn't have human moments. That discussion is an obligation for Doctors and is scary to us. I just got it the other day. It is OK to have those times. Also, the emotional and tears is a side effect of surgery and is a physical body reaction that I think God Himself designed to release the stress in our bodies. Somehow over the years we Christians tend to beat ourselves up when we have a "human " moment. DON'T feel that makes you weak.I know homesick is real. Please know I am not making light of your situation. Just know that it is too ominous when you are going through so much. Love you lots, and by the way, it was 39 degrees here early this morning. Get physically strong for the trip home. Rana
Anonymous said…
Good Morning from 30 degree TN, warm weather here, right? I always wonder at our friends, Wayne and Ruth, for retiring to MN; then, I remember the reason==== Kids and grandkids. That explains it all, doesn't it?

Bob and Patra, you are both so dear to us, and we continue to pray for God's wisdom and a miracle for you. As people who hurt from tiny little hurts, it is hard to imagine the BIG hurts that you have been and are enduring.

We are anxious for you to get back to Clearwater HOME. Even we are not going to mind leaving TN to get back to Clearwater and the nice weather in January, February, and March.

Please know that we LOVE you and continue to PRAY and PRAISE on your behalf.

Carrying you both in our hearts, Lex and Linda
Yes, let's do those mall walks again SOON!
Also I continue to practice making brownies and apple muffins so that I won't get out of practice and can share with you again.
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,
Can I relate when you said that you had had enough of procedures!! I have had a few myself. After a while you have to say enough is enough, even though I have not had to go through anywhere near what you have gone through. We are praying for you to be strengthened in your inner man as well as your outer man Thank you for your continuing faith, and we know that God will bring you through in victory!!! Tom and Margie
Anonymous said…
Sending loving thoughts your way. We continue to pray daily for your strength and healing. We'll add an extra prayer today for no blizzard -- and a speedy trip home to Clearwater. God bless you. ~~ Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
You are an inspiration in so many ways. God Bless you and your family. You'll be home in Florida soon!

- Bob in NYC.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like things are moving along for you both...really miss seeing you and know you both miss your kids and grandkids..keep getting updates from Sharon and Adam...our prayers are going your way...just think it will be a while before you see snow again..hugs to you both
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
bob and patra,
thinking of you and praying for you both daily. we have been following your writings for many weeks now more closely.
bob, your blog is a great inspiration and humbling how one man (that means you) is showing another man (that means me [and many others i am sure]) how to keep the main thing, the main thing. and ever faithful patra, the caregiver of caregivers
--bob,what a woman you are blessed with! you both have not been forgotten back in clearwater.
looking forward to seeing you when you get back. i guess no more tennis or grey firebirds, but it is funny how perspective can change when your focus is on Him.
we love you. keep the faith. keep focused. see you soon.
jim and polly hammond.
Anonymous said…
Tis the season for HOME, isn't it? Being an Israelite in the desert (with blizzards!) is toughest at this season..Remember the manna? God sent enough manna for ONE DAY. Just make it through today, my friends, and leave the next day for the next day. Pretty soon, it will be time to come HOME and we can all celebrate! Dear God, I am lifting up my friends, Bob and Patra, your children. Father, I'm asking for peace of spirit so that the love that they share with so many overshadows any other emotion. And, may today's manna be far more sufficient than they need....Amen
Sue B.
Anonymous said…
Mr Bugg,
You would not be human if you did not experience discouragement. I feel a bit silly reminding YOU of such, knowing how much wiser and experienced you are than me but I feel compelled to say it. I think of (somewhere) in the Psalms that He made us and knows how weak we are. I do not know why you have been dealt this hand but I do believe that His grace covers you like a giant (electric!) blanket!! Lindsey and I are praying for you. Also, we are looking forward to seeing Andrew tomorrow, as he is the only boy invited to a princess bday party at our house! What a good sport that he is coming!!! Actually, perhaps his mother did not fully explain that to him... I will send pictures!
Love, Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
Dear Mr Bugg, I love you. I know you miss Andrew and the rest of your family and the people you love. We were praying for you a minute ago. Bye bye. Lindsey N (I will be 5. It is almost my bday)
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra,
Thank you for being "real" in your faith and also in your fears and being transparent enough to share these from your heart. You know about the rock being dropped in a pond and you watch the rippling effect as it expands....so is your impact on all of those who are privileged to follow your journey and as we share this with others who don't even know you but yet have been impacted by your life and your family and are praying for you all...the ripples keep moving outward. We are praying for you to be home soon because as Dorothy said "There is no place like home!" We love you!...Linda and Steven
Praying for y'all, and hoping you get home to see those grand babies soon....

Sarah
(Thom's daughter)
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra, We continue to pray for your healing, comfort and return to Clearwater. It is a blessing that God gives us the ability to express the love we have for our children and grand children through tears. The love is so great, we can't hold it in.
Thinking of you...J.R. and Pat