"Freedom and Responsibility"

(Friday, April 16, 2010) "Freedom and Responsibility"

Quick Update: Patra told me earlier this week not to focus on a day – “I don’t feel as good today as I did yesterday” – but instead to compare how I am doing to a week ago. That was excellent advice because I clearly do see improvement from that longer perspective.

The medication change seems to have worked. I have not had an episode of severe chest pain in over a week. That is wonderful.

I took hormones earlier this week that were prescribed to stimulate my appetite. They work REALLY well. Megan and Avery better watch out. “You have so much sugar, Grandpa is going to eat you up,” may be literally fulfilled.

On March 4, 1993, Jim Valvano, the former coach of the N.C. State basketball team (which won the NCAA Tournament in 1983) was awarded the inaugural Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award at the first ever ESPY awards. Jimmy V died of metastatic cancer later that year. At one point during his televised acceptance speech, he was told that he needed to wrap it up, his time was up. Valvano stopped his prepared speech and told the audience:

“That screen is flashing up there thirty seconds. Like I care about that screen right now, huh? I got tumors all over my body. I'm worried about some guy in the back going thirty seconds? You got a lot, hey va fa napoli, buddy. You got a lot.” [Disclaimer: I have no idea what the Italian phrase means.]

I have watched his speech several times over the years and it is clear that Valvano was letting the world know that his cancer had given him a freedom. In light of his diagnosis and prognosis, Valvano wasn’t worried about going past his allotted time, even on national television where every second is measured in tens of thousands of dollars.

Many times since my diagnosis I have sensed a freedom I never had before. These “nasty little diseases” have given me a new perspective on my life. What’s important in my life has become clearer and I am more focused on those things. I surprise myself by the number of things that aren't of great concern now. Only a few months ago, I would have spent time and energy trying to fix unimportant concerns.

Part of my new perspective is an appreciation for the priorities of life. Faith, family and friends are most important.

There is an even greater freedom than the freedom from a serious illness. In the Gospel of John, Jesus makes some profound statements about faith and freedom. John 8:31-32 … “If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine: and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:36 “If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.”

Unfortunately, over time, we often relinquish some of faith's freedom because the distractions of life distort the perspective and priorities of our faith.

With freedom comes responsibility. I struggle with this part of the equation. For some reason(s), God has allowed me to take this journey. He knows His plans for me and His plans are always good. (Jeremiah 29:11) What does He expect of me? Will I be open to whatever His plans are? Will I be faithful to His call? Will my answer be “Yes” to whatever He asks?

I don’t want to waste this cancer. I want to be responsible as I enjoy the freedom I have been given.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: Again, I say we all look forward to your posts and yes, sometimes we need to look back as to where we came from and where we are headed and know that we are in God's hands. I am glad the medications are working for you and that each day you see progress in your physical healing. The spiritual side is okay for sure. Thanks for the uplift as I head for work this am. We can only take "one day at at time" but we certainly can look forward to the future. We enjoyed our grandbaby for his short visit last night as well as Matt & Angela and to see their strong bond and raising their child in a Christian home. I am tired today, but a good tired as they left about 11:50 last night. Enjoy your day and look forward to your next post!

Ted & Carol W
ucfjustin said…
I love the Jimmy V reference! I am so thankful to see you getting better every day.
Anonymous said…
This is an amazing post and one I will print and take to share with others. Amazing writing, Bob -- You are ministering more than you know through your posts and I thank you for that. I am praying long and hard for you and your family daily and think of you very often. Keep getting better, buddy as it has been to long since I last saw you. Thanks for making me think long and hard every time you share a post. I believe you are doing exactly what you have been called to do. May you continue to heal in Jesus' name,

All the best - STAY STRONG!

Marc Crumpton
Anonymous said…
hello to all --- so happy to hear you are feeling better and better each week. (I like the week idea too Patra!) I realy enjoy reading your messages each day and I think we have all learned to take each day as a precious gift and pass on the blessings of that gift to who ever we can. My friend in Boise, Id. was in the hosptital going through treatment for lymphoma when they found out her son, who was caring for her in the hospital, was on the verge of a stroke due to extremely high blood pressure. She knows now that is why she had to go through cancer - to save her son's life.He would not have been diagnosed had she not been in the hospital. BTW, he is responding to meds and she is in remission.
As hard as some lessons are for us, there is a purpose for everything. I think you have touched a lot of people with your daily doses of faith and inspiration through this journey. Thank you. God's blessings to all of you. ~~ Mary Lib
ps - loves the post about the kids -- give them all a squeeze from me.
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We are so glad that you are gaining strength every day. The process does seem slow.
However, you are certainly making the best of a not so great situation. You have given much already to those of us on the bus with you and Patra.
Thanks for sharing so completely with us.
See you soon.
We love you and continue to praise and pray.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bugg,
I think you are my hero. You are so inspiring and as I read your writing, I think of God's word describing the peace He gives in such trying times, that "Peace flows like a river" - peace in a raging, whitewater, rocky, turbulent river - and that is what you have and I, along with all of humanity, want. I believe many people will see that in you as I do and be amazed and blessed beyond measure or description. Few will ever witness such or see what they will and do in your life. Oh, the GLORY of the Lord is just bursting out from you. It is truly blinding.

May God continue to bless you and care for you and your family and to use you mightily to increase His kingdom. I am quite confident that even you have NO IDEA how far reaching you words will be as a testimony to the living God. You will be used to set people free and bring abundant hope where there is none. I am overwhelmed just thinking about it.

Love,
Jennifer N. (Jenny and Emily's friend)