"Put the Pedal to the Metal"

(Saturday, February 20, 2010)

In the last 7 days, Patra and I have made the 30 mile drive from our home to Moffitt every day. So about 420 miles and almost every day we came home through the 6:00 traffic – at least 14 hours in the car this week.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were basically 10 hour days at the hospital with procedures, tests, consultations and injections. I quickly became a fan of my catheter. It saved me a lot of shots and pokes. Wednesday, they were able to collect 4 million white blood cells which are now safely frozen and awaiting transplantation into my body next Friday.

Thursday was not a good day. Because they were able to collect all of the needed stem cells on Wednesday, Thursday was to be a day off. We should have known early, it was not going to be a good day.

Patra fixed me breakfast (you have to understand that I love all meals but especially breakfast). I sat in the chair and just looked at it. I had absolutely no appetite. I was able to eat one bite of toast and that was it. A few minutes later, I was in the bathroom and almost passed out. I was dehydrated and began to sweat profusely.

Dehydration is a recognized problem with amyloidosis, and the powerful narcotic which enabled me to produce stem cells very rapidly may have played a part. Just going through the procedures this week may have contributed to it. Nausea didn’t help.

Patra called Moffitt and after a brief discussion about where to go, it was decided I should go to Moffitt.

That’s when the NASCAR driver in my wife came out. She was good. (Please understand that I am not being critical of her driving. We both agreed that we needed to get there quickly – literally we were in one “Accord.”)

I was not able to open my eyes (I’m not sure I would have wanted to) but I could tell she was drafting well, cornering sharply and may have bumped a few cars that thought they were in the lead. Looks like I’m married to “Danica Patra.”

Moffitt took immediate steps to remedy the situation. I received a I.V. fluid and medication to help with the nausea. We were released about 6:00 p.m. It may have been the drugs, but when we got to the car, it looked like it had been painted with a big godaddy.com logo on the hood.

Yesterday (Friday) we went back for a dressing change for my catheter site, lab work, and a check of my fluid levels.

In addition to the catheter, I wish they would install a dip stick.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like we better get Patra a helmet and a good jumpsuit. I know the feeling while I was driving to Orlando when Matthew called me to tell me Zachary was coming early. I left work at 2:30 and was hoping to be in Orlando by 4:00. I had to stop by the house, grab clothes & toothbrush & prayed for no traffic on the Howard Franklin! That drive to Moffitt is no fun, especially in traffic. We were near there today, went to Busch Gardens and I showed Ted where Moffit was. I worked at USF at the Medical Center when we first moved to Florida. The campus has surely grown. If you feel up to it later, there is a good Italian restaurant just east of USF called CDB's, just past 50th street, I think. (We ate there for lunch) When I worked at USF we would go there on paydays for a good lunch! Ted had a small chef salad which was huge, I had the chicken alfredo fettichine. Delicious! I am sorry you were nauseated, if they will give you something to take or have on hand, don't wait until you feel bad; it may already be too late. Yes, the port (catheter) is a real blessing; too bad about the dip stick! I have been called a dipstick before but that is different.

Take care Bugg family; you are in our hearts & prayers.

Ted & Carol
Anonymous said…
We missed you this morning,Bob. It was great to see Patra.
This too shall pass.
We look forward to your return...
Philippians 4: 4-9,13,19
Love & prayers,
Ruthie
Anonymous said…
We talked about you this morning in Sunday School (some say Life Group))It was all good (well almost). Pam and I have bumped into Patra 2 or 3 times recently, it is always a joy. Know that we keep you in our prayers daily. I still remember fondly when you were trying to teach me something in Sunday School. Stay strong as we pray you up and healthy. By the way Danica has nothing on Patra.

God Bless

Mike and Pam
Romans 8:28