What A Difference A Year Makes!

What A Difference A Year Makes!
Friday, March 9, 2012
From Bob

(Jeremiah 29:11 NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I do not know all of God's plans for my life. I do know that God is sovereign and that He does have a plan for me, just as He has a plan for you. Now it appears that God's plan for me includes a future here on earth. Fourteen months ago, my oncologist told Patra that no more treatments could be done and her advice was to keep me as comfortable as possible. Her advice seemed correct as I continued getting worse each day. I spent most of the next 8 months in and out of the hospital before my health slowly started to improve. It has now been 6 months since I've been hospitalized.

THEN... I received some really good news this week! In February I had an Echocardiagram to evaluate my heart function. This is measured by the heart's "ejection fraction" or EF. Last year when I had an Echocardiagram the "ejection fraction" was 30%. That was confirmed last April during my heart catheterization. Before the recent procedure I was told that the doctor wanted to determine whether I had lost any heart function. I was told that someone with Amyloidosis in their heart would not see improvement in heart function over time.

Surprise, surprise. My heart function now is 50 - 55%! (for the record, I obtained a copy of the Echocardiagram report a couple of weeks ago but wanted to wait until I saw my cardiologist before I got too excited.) To clarify, a normal EF is between 55 - 65%. If the EF is below 45%, it means generally that there is a decrease in the heart's ability to pump blood. If the EF is below 30 - 35% that generally represents a significant decrease in heart function. In the past year I have gone from concern about a significant decrease in heart function to a NORMAL heart function.

When we were discussing how this might have happened, because it is contrary to what the medical literature suggests as a natural progression of this "nasty little disease," I told my doctor that I knew how it happened. It was the answer to many, many prayers that have been offered on my behalf.

Thank you for your prayers. They mean so much. Combined with great doctors and medications and surgeries, my heart is better.

God really is the Great Physician. All glory and praise belong to Him.

I am not totally out of the woods. The Amyloidosis has caused a thickening of the heart which inhibits some functions of the heart. Although it is presently well controlled by medication, there is still an issue with arrhythmias. I must be careful with my fluids so I don't pass out. One glance in the mirror says I am not ready to compete in any body building contests even though I have gained 15 pounds in the last several months. Despite the injections, I still have significant back pain. So please don't quit praying.

What is God's plan for me? I believe in my life, He will reveal it day by day. I hope His will includes walking unassisted, driving and working again. Right now, I am satisfied to see prayers answered and to feel so much better.

This weekend is very special for Adam and Sharon. Riley Robert Bugg will be dedicated at church. We will also be celebrating his first birthday. When Riley was born I was in ICU at the hospital and we were all concerned that I'd not get a chance to meet him. What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time I was clinging to life in hopes of meeting my newest grandson. It will indeed be a special celebration. All of Sharon's family will be in town as well as ours.


Last week a friend died unexpectedly. He had been a part of our men's Bible study since the beginning. Patra and I attended the "celebration" of his life and his promotion to heaven. We pray for his wife and sons.

Dear God: Thank you for all the blessings you give to us. We thank you for Riley and pray that he will grow up loving You. We thank you for all of our children and grandchildren. We thank you for all the friends who support us with their prayers. Whatever Your plan is for me, I want to be faithful to You. I know that my heart functions best when it is turned to you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Until next Friday, and maybe several more Fridays. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Praise God from whom all BLESSINGS flow"! We thank God for what He has done in your heart, not only physical but spiritual as well. We continue to pray for you and know that you have been thru so much more than the rest of us, yet you are still our teacher and inspire us to be more Christlike and to accept what is happening in our lives and to trust God and have faith in others that we will pull together as brothers and sisters in Christ. What a handsome boy and glad you are here to celebrate his first birthday and his ceremony. Enjoy each moment!
Take care my friends.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,

I am thrilled to hear of your recent report from the cardiologist. As always, I will continue to pray for you and your family. Please know you will always be in my heart and prayers!!!!

Lauren Calta
Pat Findlan said…
WHAT A GRACIOUS GOD WE HAVE. I AM REJOICING WITH YOU!
Anonymous said…
Wow! we are so excited and so thankful! God is good, all the time.
and we will keep on praying!
Tony and Carolyn
Anonymous said…
Amazing! But why are we so amazed when God answers prayer? Never a day goes by that we don't pray for you and Patra. Love, Joyce
Anonymous said…
That was great news...And I will continue to pray for great news from you each Friday....This weeks blog has been a great comfort....Good news about what the Lord is doing always is...Steve...
Anonymous said…
Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow! Our God is still in the business of miracles.

Sharing in thanksgiving,

Mary Alice Dennis
Gainesville
Tom and Margie Dunlap said…
Congratulations on all the great reports!!! We REJOICE and PRAISE THE LORD with you!
What a great picture of Riley! We can hardly believe he is a year old. What a great weekend this will be for you and the family.
We're REALLY looking forward to going to Andrew's baseball games with you all!
You are in our prayers.
Anonymous said…
Good Evening, Bob,
We rejoice with you for the wonderful answers to prayers. How encouraging to see God answering those prayers as we continue to pray them.
Thanks for the update and for sharing your heart again this week.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra and family:

Thank you God for answered prayers! I remember praying last year that you would be able to meet Riley and now he is 1 and will be dedicated on Sunday. Our GOD is an amazing GOD. We are so thankful to hear the good news that your heart is functioning better and pray you continue to get better everyday. We love you guys.

Dennis, Patt, Fred and MaryKate
Anonymous said…
So happy you are doing better...we are so looking forward to seeing you at Riley's baptism and birthday party..remember so well a year ago when Patra raced from one hospital to another to be there for Riley's birth...I agree what a difference a year makes..love you guys and prayers still going your way..
Jon/Marilyn