Not Just A Survivor

Friday, February 24, 2012
From Bob

This turned out to be a "typical week." Sunday was a great day. I went to church, Bible study and Patra and I went out to lunch. It was wonderful but I was exhausted when we arrived home. I took a long afternoon nap.

Monday, after I left dialysis I passed out.

Tuesday, I had my fourth Epidural Steroid Injection (ESI.) This shot was in the low back. (Last Friday the pain had gone from my back to the quadriceps muscle in my right leg.) As I was getting up off the table the nurse told me my color didn't look right. I told her I was light headed and she had me sit on my walker. I vaguely remember her calling for help. I thought I had seen it all with respect to passing out. This was the first time that someone used "smelling salts" and I can testify that is one of the worst smells I have smelt. While I "reacted" to the "smelling salts" that did not revive me. When I did come back to reality, I was in a bed with my head lowered , the doctor taking my blood pressure and a nurse holding a cold compress on my head.

When we got home, Adam was at the house and he came to the car to help me in. "You passed out again?". I told him everybody deserves to pass out once a day! I went to bed and slept almost 4 hours.

Wednesday was a very good day at dialysis. They were able to get all the excess fluid off and I had no problems with my blood pressure.

So a "typical week." Two days up and two days down.

As I write this on Thursday, it has been a good day. My back and leg feel significantly better after the ESI.
God is good. I can hardly believe that as many times as I have passed out over the past two years, I have never hurt myself.


Almost every day I hear someone say, "I am a cancer survivor." What exactly does that mean? I wanted to know if I was a survivor of this "nasty little disease." Does a doctor have to say you are a survivor? None of my doctors have said that. Does a doctor have to say you are in remission? None of my doctors have said that either. Do you have to live a certain amount of time after diagnosis? Is two years enough or do I need to wait longer to make that claim?


I decided to do a little research and went to Wikepedia. I was a little surprised to learn that I am apparently not the only one who has ever pondered this issue. There are differing definitions and even differing preferred terms, including "alivers," "thrivers," and even "diers."
Remembering that my grandson Austin (5) had cautioned me that Wikepedia is not always a reliable source, I decided to go to the web site of the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (NCCS.) "Founded by and for cancer survivors, NCCS created the widely accepted definition of survivorship and defines someone as a cancer survivor
from the time of diagnosis and for the balance of life."

As I was reading my Bible this week I realized that it really didn't matter what the definition of cancer survivor is.

Romans 8:35-39 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."


I am not just a survivor. I am "more than a conqueror." My "nasty little disease" was conquered before I was even born.
Andrew (6) starts little league this week. I know I'm old but this week we were watching ESPN and Jenny noted they were doing a segment on Michael Jordan. Andrew piped up, "Who is Michael Jordan?" Jenny, isn't it great getting old?

Dear God: I am so grateful that I am "more than a conqueror." You are always good. Thank You for your presence and protection. I want to be faithful to You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Until next Friday.
God willing.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
Thanks for your update. Linda went for her colonoscopy today,and shared her thoughts of "How does Bob go through all those procedures?" Of course, the resounding answer is through the grace of God. Truly our Lord provides all that we need; we just have to draw upon it, right?
So glad that you were able to get through without passing out the last time this week.
Have a GOOD weekend. We hope to see you soon.
We continue to PRAY, PRAISE, and LOVE,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob: I am glad you had your "good days" this week and sorry for the bad ones. I have a high school friend that is going to start his dialysis soon. His father and brother have passed from the hereditary disease they had in their kidneys and Greg has "survived" cancer and now this. Add him to your prayer list. He is a Christian also and when I talked to him last year, his testimony spoke to me as well. He knows where he is headed and is prepared if he is called home. He is a great man was a high school principal and retired about 10 years ago and then worked part-time at a hospital. I think it was cute that Andrew told you that not all things are reliable on the inter-net - how true! He is being taught well but it is interesting research sometimes. I was told a "survivor" was considered "cured" after 10 years. I am now at 13 years so I guess I am a survivor who is "cured" - does that mean like a ham?

Got my braces back on today after getting my teeth cleaned and I am now sporting green power bands for St Patrick's Day since I am Irish!

I pray for another good week and sorry we missed you last Sunday. Went to see my father on Saturday and Sunday I was feeling all "nasally again" and sure didn't want to pass any germs on to you or anyone else.

Take care my friends - say a special prayer for a special need in Angela's family.

Love
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob, thank you for more inspiration, which increases my courage.
God Bless,
Dottie