"Day Zero"

Friday, February 26, 20010
“Day Zero”

As a bone marrow transplant patient I am learning a new language. Today is Day Zero, the day of my transplant. From this point forward the doctors and nurses will refer to “Day plus 1”, “Day plus 2,” etc. I have met patients over the last couple of months “I am day plus 50 day”, “plus 100. “ I am “three years past transplant” - always referring back to Day Zero.

When I asked why they start today and not the day I came into the hospital, the nurse said because today is your new birth.

Wow. I have had a natural birthday almost 60 years ago, a spiritual rebirth almost 50 years ago, and now my cancer is giving me a re-boot. (It was interesting to me that because of the chemo therapy destroying my bone marrow, I will need to have my childhood innoculations redone. I told the doctor it will be fun to go to the pediatrician’s office with Megan and Avery and tell them that Grandpa and the girls are all there for our “puppy shots.”

Call it what you want, but I woke up this morning knowing that today is the day the Lord has made. I am going to rejoice and be glad in it.

It appears that next week may be a difficult week with side effects. Based on yesterday, I am probably not going to be able to write for several days next week. The girls will keep you advised. Please know that on the days I am unable to write, those are probably the days I would most solicit your prayers. There is a new commercial on television where a bridge has been destroyed and the beer truck can’t make the delivery to the town. The town people all immediately run and gather together to form a human bridge so that the truck can drive across them and make its delivery. I see your prayers as my friends coming together and supporting me to get to the other side. Do you understand how important that makes each one of you in supporting me? I do.

They tell me they will need to infuse about 10 bags of stem cells today and that it will be a long day. Just to keep you advised, I think we made some progress yesterday on the swelling. I haven’t seen the doctor this morning so I hope she agrees. I do know that they are going to have some issues to deal with today in that regard because the infusion of the stem cells also requires I.V. fluids. Please pray for good decisions to be made in that regard.

Since this is a birthday, I am really looking forward to my cake and ice cream!
God Bless!

Bob

Comments

Jean said…
Dear Bob,
Happy "Second Birthday"!
My name is Jean and I’m a volunteer with the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to Google blog alerts, where we found your story.
Please know that others are thinking of you and pulling for you! To learn more about our programs and services, including "Celebrating Second Birthdays" survivor recognition program, please visit www.nbmtlink.org or call 800-546-5268.
All the best!
P.S. I'd like to send you our "Caregivers' Guide for BMT" if you send a mailing address to me at jeansjones@gmail.com
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We are praying. When we awake in the night for whatever reason, you are in our hearts, and we whisper prayers to our God for you and especially for the doctors that those decision will be the exact right ones for you.
Thanks for the updates.
Remember, these prayers ARE gong up on your behalf.
We love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,
You are continually in our thoughts and prayers. We're part of that bridge you mentioned and will remain there. God bless you, friend, as you celebrate this new birthday.
Judy and Lawson Jolly
Dade City
Anonymous said…
Consider us part of that bridge!
Al and Donna
Surviving 4 said…
Happy Birthday, Mr. Bugg! Let's get that beer truck over the ravine :)

I'm praying for you today. For physical and emotional strength, for wise doctors, and most of all for a healing by our Great Physician. Thank you for your updates. Your joyful approach to this situation is such a testimony to those of us who sometime forget that when we ask our Father, He can give us joy - and peace - in all circumstances. Blessings to you and your family.

Love,
Kari Mattingly (Jenny's friend and Tyler's wife)
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Bob, Trying to milk another birthday for cake and ice cream? You probably want presents, too! Well, don't hold your breath. Maybe Austin can sing and do the hamster dance.....we are with you in spirit.
love, pat & dan
Anonymous said…
Bob,
Little grandson Logan told us as we picked him up at preschool today that his friend Andrew Dunlap was not at school today. So cool that our grandsons are school mates. We, too, are helping to build that bridge across to the other side.
Heyward and Carol
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,

We know that the strength you derive from your faith, family and friends will carry you through this journey. Please know you and your family are in our hearts and in our prayers. Here's to a speedy recovery and a new beginning!

Best wishes always,
Lauren Calta and Nikki Kavouklis
Anonymous said…
This morning, oddly enough, I also thought of the verse, "This is the day that the Lord has make, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
I think I was glad that the day had finally arrived for those harvested stem jobs to get where they needed to be!!!
Thanks, Bob, for sharing your heartfelt concerns and thankfulness for all praying and to keep on....
I still can hardly believe this whole thing --
I pray that God surrounds you with His strength and courage -- and the wisdom and knowledge to all involved to make the best decisions to help restore your health for His glory.
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie Q.
Anonymous said…
A sigh of relief went up when I first opened the email from our SS email. I had thought about you several times today. It was a busy day; we celebrated Mardi Gras at work - our float was a human one with three of us in a refrigerator box with our boss pulling our float in her cardboard Lambroghini (spelling). We had to pull together as a team as the wind was blowing against our box causing the fringe on the bottom to get tangled in our feet & we had to work together as a team so as not to tumble. That is how we feel about our SS class too; that we all pull together for you and we are your "bridge over troubled water" so to speak. Jesus will allow us to walk in that water, wow! Anyway, the long story short, we made the resident's day by being there, putting effort into our project, giving out beads to see the smiles on their faces.
Thanks for putting a smile on our faces as you share your stories & your spirit on this journey. Yes, I am now 11 years & 9 days for being cancer free & I am rejoicing in what the Great Physician can do.
Rest peacefully tonight and do what you need to do to let those new cells get a good hold!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
part of your bridge - checking blog everyday - praying earnestly

Linda Hyde
Karen said…
Happy Birthday, Mr. Bugg! I am a firm believer that we should get all the birthdays we can collect ... cause there's NOTHING as good in life as some birthday cake and ice cream! Been praying for you and your new cells all week!! I am so blessed to call your Emily my friend and so blessed to join your "bridge" in praying for you! Here's to cake, ice cream, good sleep, less swelling, new cells, day zero plus A LOT and the God in you who is shining so bright out of you!! Hugs and Prayers for all of you tonight!!
Anonymous said…
I'm praying!
Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
Bob AND Patra,
I'm checking your blog each day for new concerns to pray about & PRAISE!!! Just know that Randy & I are part of that bridge. We will be praying that the expected side effects will be minimal next week. It's so obvious that the Lord is your source of strength!! It's just amazing how God uses the wisdom of doctors & nurses to "fix" us when things break. Pastor Anderson recently told me that "life is more fun when our machinery works well". Soooo true. Hang in there!!!
Anita & Randy Eldridge