"Living Water"


Living Water

Friday, February 3, 2012

From Bob

(John 4:7-15 HCSB) A woman of Samaria came to draw water. "Give Me a drink," Jesus said to her, for His disciples had gone into town to buy food. "How is it that You, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?" she asked Him. For Jews do not associate with Samaritans. Jesus answered, "If you knew the gift of God, and who is saying to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would ask Him, and He would give you living water." "Sir," said the woman, "You don't even have a bucket, and the well is deep. So where do You get this 'living water'? You aren't greater than our father Jacob, are You? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and livestock." Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks from this water will get thirsty again. But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again-ever! In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up within him for eternal life." "Sir," the woman said to Him, "give me this water so I won't get thirsty and come here to draw water."

February, 2012. I have made it another month. It has been 5 months since I have been in the hospital. What a blessing! God is good - all the time. God is good - every month!

I had a good day at dialysis on Monday. My sitting blood pressure stayed high enough to get me released. In fact, my dialysis went so smoothly that I finished before Patra arrived to pick me up. That had never happened before. The nurse pushed me in my wheelchair to get my weight and then opened the door to the waiting room. That is the last thing I remember for several minutes. One of our friends waiting for her husband later told us she knew something was wrong when I didn't respond to her. She touched my arm and it was clammy. I think she thought I had died. She said she yelled for help and several nurses responded. I have no recollection of any of that.

When I was "coming back" a nurse had pulled back on my wheelchair and I was looking at the ceiling. They put me on oxygen and were preparing an IV to give me fluid. Fortunately, by that time Patra was there and stopped the IV from being inserted. (I've had enough "pokes.") Patra knew I just needed to drink some water and I would be OK. (Unfortunately we are now somewhat "expert" at handling my "syncopal"episodes.) The nurse in charge agreed and Patra gave me water to drink. Soon I was back to normal. My new normal is not what it used to be!

On Wednesday, my blood pressure problem started early in dialysis. My systolic (upper number - "the phase of the heartbeat when the heart muscle contracts and pumps blood from the chambers into the arteries.") blood pressure began falling very quickly. When we first noticed, it was 102, then 98, then 89. I think it bottomed out at 79. The nurses tilted my chair back, gave me fluids, and decreased the amount of fluid they were taking off. Soon I was feeling much better. My nephrologist talked to me about these episodes of "hypotension" and he adjusted my "dry weight." If I am still having problems, he will consider changing my blood pressure medications.

In the story related above from the gospel of John, Jesus is traveling through Samaria and encounters a Samaritan woman. It was bold of Jesus to go through Samaria because at that time the Jewish people would "walk around" Samaria. It was even bolder for Jesus to engage a Samaritan woman in a conversation. As the Bible says above, "Jews do not associate with Samaritans." The Samaritans worshipped in the Temple on Mount Gerizim and the Jews worshipped in the Temple in Jerusalem.

Jesus interrupted this woman's life. I imagine she had made this trip for water on many occasions. As she walked along, I imagine she thought of the many chores she needed to accomplish that day. Then she meets Jesus and her plans are interrupted by His questions and prophetic utterances. Just as does today, He offered her eternal life by telling her he could give her water and she would never again thirst. From the Biblical account, it appears she didn't understand at that point what Jesus was really offering. She didn't want to be physically thirsty and have to keep coming back to draw water.

When I was first diagnosed with this "nasty little disease, I was told I would have problems with my fluid levels. Over the last two years, I have been instructed to drink more water and I have been instructed to refrain from drinking water or any fluids. For months, I had daily IVs of significant amounts of fluid and now I have fluid removed three times a week. I have never been more thirsty than when the doctors limited my fluids. I would eat ice chips, chew gum, and eat hard candy trying to calm the thirst. While I still drink more than I should, the situation has improved.

I think I know how that Samaritan woman felt. "Jesus, give me water so I don't thirst and in my case don't give me too much either."

More importantly, Jesus interrupted my life when I was a young boy and I received His gift of eternal life. He quenched the real thirst of my life and I will never be thirsty again-ever.

I hope He interrupts your life. He goes where you are, even to Samaria. We just need to accept His offer. He gave His life for you and me.

Dear God: I pray that we will be able to correct my blood pressure problems. Thank you for the staff and nurses and doctors that respond so quickly and work so hard in treating me. I thank you for your gift of eternal life. I pray that I will be faithful to you always. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: We have all been "at the well" several times during our lives and have had our thirst "quenched" by Jesus! February is a special month for me. I met Ted in February, our son was born in February and I was diagnosed with cancer in Feb of 1999. This Feb will bring new challenges I am sure but Jesus is my rock and has my heart, especially in February. We are facing "short weeds" now; Ted is awaiting further testing and I am suffering with sinus and my new job is very physical and my body is responding; not graciously; we will see where it takes me; pray for a new job opportunity that will be less taxing on these old bones! We pray for your blood pressure to get under control and that you are refreshed with the water from the living well!
Take care my friends!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
My, what a week you have had!!! Thanks for sharing the words of Jesus with us today. Truly HE is the LIVING WATER that we all need in our lives.
As we live in this unsettled world, every day we find ourselves saying, "Come quickly LORD JESUS". It is comforting to know that what we experience now will be over one day as we enter heaven's gates to spend forever with our Lord, Jesus Christ.
We love you, Bob.
We continue to pray for you, praise on your behalf and love you.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Amen Mr. Bugg!
Lisa
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bob Bugg,
We are praying for you. We know God is in control and He answers our prayers. May you find comfort in knowing that. We have always loved our Florida friends and even though it's been nearly two decades later, we still think of all of you fondly. You are truly a testimony to ALL. God Bless!
Steve and Kathy Sigmon
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra, thank you for sharing and sating my thirst. Much Love, Dottie Carson