Justice, Mercy, Humility

Friday, February 9, 2012.
"Justice, Mercy, Humility"
From Bob

I have an Echocardiagram next Tuesday. I'm anxiously awaiting the results. The last couple of times I've "sweet talked" the technician into telling me what they thought. However, their impression didn't always agree with the doctor's interpretation so I may just wait this time to hear directly from the doctor. It usually doesn't take long.

We are having this test done to see if there has been any change in my heart function. My heart catheterization several months ago confirmed my previous Echocardiagram that my heart function was 30%. (I was pleased to learn that a "normal" heart functions at 60%, not 100%.)

Tomorrow we (not me) will be cleaning out my office for an anticipated sale. Jenny's friends from church volunteered to help so we have plenty of people-power and trucks lined up. What a blessing! While there is really no choice but to rid ourselves of the financial obligations associated with the office, it is still emotional. Patra is having a harder time than I am. She physically painted every wall and installed all of the interior woodwork. We spent many wonderful days there together running our business. I have been told that my biggest contribution this weekend would be to stay out of the way. My back is still very painful so I will comply with that request.

The grandchildren continue to be a blessing. Andrew (6) has started little league practice. I told him I am feeling better this year and want to go to more games. He asked me if I could go to ALL of his games. I hope I can. Austin (5) continues to amaze and entertain us with his "Austinisms." He already knows more about exotic animals than I do. The other day Patra asked him why God made an animal a certain way. He told her he didn't know but he would google it and tell her the answer. Megan and Avery (2) are like sisters. They play together so well and are beginning to talk all the time. We can already see that Riley and Anderson will soon be little boys and not babies.

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

This is a great verse to memorize since it so clearly gives us directions for living our lives. I will just talk about walking "humbly with thy God." It is so easy to see ourselves as the center of our universe, to think we are in charge. I confess that as a grandparent that is the message I am giving my grandchildren. It's their parents responsibility to teach them the truth about themselves. The other day I was thinking about how great it is not having to be the disciplinarian. It will no doubt be harder for this generation. What with television, video games and the Internet, our children must be more diligent than we were. My grandchildren won't be watching "Father knows best," "Mary Tyler Moore," or "Bonanza."

Having this "nasty little disease" has taught me so much about walking humbly with God. He is the center of the universe, He is the One in charge. That is a very good thing -if I were in charge, I would really mess things up.

Dear God: We continue to pray for many friends who are ill. May they know your presence in a special way. I pray for relief from back pain. Help me to seek justice, love mercy and walk humbly with you. Thank you for teaching more about You every day. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: We continue to pray for you on this journey with your "nasty little disease" and think of you constantly. Yes, our Lord is in charge and we do need to understand that; His wisdom that He bestows on us is magnificent and sometimes we have to "slow down" to see all that. I know I was changed after my bout with cancer and then once I got back to my "Busy life" some of my thinking went back and then God reminds me constantly to "relax" and walk humbly and the life lessons I try to be more aware of my "surroundings" and to be kind to others and it comes back around, believe me. Glad to get to spend so much time with the grandchildren; we are going to be grandparents again in September and will be keeping our Zachary this week-end. What a blessing and they definitely take your mind off yourself for sure; you never know what will come out of their mouths!
I am sure clearing the office definitely gives you mixed emotions; especially when you spent so much time and you decorated it yourself as well. It was easier for me to leave my office because it wasn't mine; it was harder leaving Eckerds for sure.
Take care my friends; will be praying about the echo as well.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,

What a time in which we live!! You are totally correct about this grandparenting thing. We have said so often how much we enjoy having FUN with our grandsons without the responsibility of discipling them. Grandparents can do no wrong with those little ones. It gives us such great opprotunities to give them information from our own experiences; they listen to us.

We will be praying as you have your echocardiogram. Isn't it amazing that there are all those techniques that give so much information. I think about my grandparents that suffered from so many problems with no way to diagnose them much less treat them. God has certainly blessed our generation with the advances in medicine.

We are sorry that you and your family are having to close the office, but we are happy that God has worked out the sale situation so that you can have fewer responsibilities in that areana.

You will always have your training and can help others as the opportunities arise to give that information to those who ask for it. YOU ARE A GREAT ATTORNEY!!

Bob, we continue to pray, praise and love.

Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
I am believing with Andrew that you will see all his games...Thanks for another great blog entry...Look forward to next weeks....They are a great blessing to me....

Steve