The Big Office Move

The Big Office Move
Friday, February 17, 2012
From Bob

There is something new in the upper right column of my blog. You can enter your email address and every time we publish a new post, you will receive an email with a link to the blog site. Unless something dramatic happens, it is my intention to continue to only write a post once a week, on Friday.

I wish everyone a belated Happy Valentine's Day. It seemed apropos that Patra and I spent the morning of Valentine's Day at the HEART doctor's office. The Echocardiagram went smoothly, but it will be several weeks before I get the results. This week I get my low back epidural steroid injection which should continue to help manage my back pain.

Last Saturday was moving day for my office. We knew that the responsibility would fall mostly on Adam, Emily and Jenny to pack up and move everything (I offered to move the heavy stuff myself, but no one took me up on it), and they did a tremendous job. Jenny put the word out to her church small group, and many volunteered their Saturday morning to help us. With the large moving truck James was able to bring down from Gainesville, our moving "team" got the entire office packed up into one load (plus a few truck beds). Everything was finished by lunchtime. Patra and I are so appreciative of everyone who gave of their time and effort to help us out. It meant so much.

**From Jenny: I try not to overstep the boundaries, but I'm hijacking my dad's blog for just a moment here! The "Big Office Move" last Saturday was an amazing experience for me, personally. When we decided that we needed to get everything moved out, I was once again reminded of how grateful I am for the relationship I have with each of my siblings and their spouses (Emily, James, Adam, Sharon & my husband David). Each of them sacrificed their own plans to do what needed to be done, just as they have done time and time again over the last few years.

In addition, I am overcome with gratitude for our little home-group from church. Their overwhelming response to help just confirmed to me that my Dad's motto (Faith, Family, Friends) is spot-on. Many of the guys who helped us Saturday have never met my parents. They just helped because they heard of a need and wanted to show God's love to someone in a tangible way. Words just don't do it justice. But I thank God for showing me yet another example of the community of believers who have done SO MANY things for our family over the last 2 years. Thank you all! (Ok... back to my Dad, who might just be changing his password after this - haha!)

Patra and I continue to count our blessings. Last year at this time we were making regular visits to the hospital. While dialysis continues to be a challenge, we understand that it is essential. I am learning to cope better with spending 3 days a week at dialysis and then feeling the effects when I come home.

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Just before this portion of his letter to the Corinthian church, the apostle Paul has referenced his own "thorn in the flesh." Paul says that he asked the Lord 3 times to remove this infirmity. What was the Lord's response? "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." God didn't "heal" Paul, God didn't remove the "thorn in the flesh."

All of us experience problems. Some are physical illness, some relational, some vocational, some financial. My current problem is a "nasty little disease." We really want our problems to "go away." Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. The fact that Paul asked 3 times suggests that he really wanted the problem removed and he knew that God could do it. I have prayed more than 3 times that God would heal me. I know He could and I would really like that.

What is most important is OUR response. Paul responded: "Most gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

It is my prayer that I will respond to my illness in a way that glorifies God.

Thank you for your continued prayers for me and my family.

Dear God: Your grace is amazing. May all glory and praise be lifted up to you. In my weakness help me to find the strength You have promised. May You be with all of our friends who are ill or have other needs. In Jesus name. Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks again for sharing your heart and wisdom with us again, still teaching us through your illness. I am glad the office move went smoothly, although, I am sure it was with mixed emotions. Your family and friends are are tremendous joy and thanks for your insert Jenny; you know you have good friends!

Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers that you continue to pray for us and our needs when your own are so significant. You are truly a friend.

We pray that this week will be a good week and that God still have excellent plans for your life and testimony thru this "nasty little disease" You have touched so many lives and are grateful to be part of your journey.

Take care my friends,
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
Thanks again for your encouragement this week. You always "hit the nail on the head" every time you speak to us.

We are so blessed to call you and your family our friends. We love you and continue to pray, praise and love always.

Lex and linda
Anonymous said…
Bob,
As always,I am touched by your testimony and the updates you give each week. I continue to pray for you and your family. Thank you for sharing. You truly are a blessing to us all.
In Christ Love,
Steve and Kathy Sigmon