Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!
Friday, January 13, 2012
From Bob

(Note from Adam - I was in charge of posting the blog this week and noticed that Dad had failed to mention that today is his birthday! On behalf of all the children and grandchildren, we want to wish him a very happy 61st birthday. Several months ago, I would never have imagined being able to celebrate this birthday. We all love you very much!
-Jenny, David, Andrew, Megan, Emily, James, Austin, Anderson, Adam, Sharon, Avery, & Riley)

Patra and I have enjoyed another great week. This week we have been able to go out to lunch and dinner. The other day, I asked Adam to take me to the grocery store. It was a "junk food junket." I bought donuts, chips, cookies, bagels and soft drinks. (Because of my concern for eating healthy, I also bought grapes.) It was great exercise - I was able to go up and down several aisles. Although I was pretty worn out by the time I got home, I'm thinking it's time for another grocery store trip! (I am a firm believer that you can never have enough "junk food.") Patra was finally able to breathe again when we walked back in the door.

We both know that the good days may end at any time, but we are living in the moment and not fearing what tomorrow may bring. We are both learning to trust in the goodness of God. He has never failed us.

I was able to go to Bible Study this week at church. I hadn't been in several months. It was wonderful to see so many friends and Ben did a great job teaching the class. We are blessed to have him teaching.

During dialysis this week, I have been reading about the Kings of Judah that governed the southern Kingdom after the death of Solomon. Some were righteous and some did evil in God's eyes. When Jehoshaphat became King, after the death of his father Asa, Jehoshaphat sought the Lord and the Lord was with him. One of the important things Jehoshaphat did was send out his princes, Levites, and priests to teach the Word of God. 2 Chronicles 17: 9 "And they taught in Judah, and had the book of the law of the Lord with them, and went about throughout all the cities of Judah, and taught the people." Jehoshaphat knew the importance of his people being familiar with the Word of God.

We need to know what the Bible says. 2 Timothy 2:15 instructs us to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." The Bible provides a standard by which to live our lives, a ruler by which we can measure our lives. We live in a day where too many do "what is right in their own eyes." I am very cautious when discussing important issues and someone prefaces their comments with "I believe" or "I think." Does God have anything to say about the issue? Surely His opinion is important. It seems that we have minimized the importance of studying God's Word.

I'm getting some new "wheels" for my birthday. No, not the Porsche I have dreamed about. Patra ordered me a new "walker" this week. The wheels in front swivel. I've had some problems turning my present walker. I never thought I'd get excited about getting a new walker for a birthday present.

(Bob's "Porsche")

The wife of a man who was a leader in my men's Bible Study class passed away this week. I appreciate so much their testimony. Our prayers are with Bob, their daughter and extended family. Our prayer list gets longer and longer.

We are headed to Gainesville this weekend for a dedication service for Emily and James' son Anderson (7 months.) In our church, we believe the service is about the parents dedicating themselves to bring up their child to know Jesus and hopefully when he is older, Anderson will make a decision to accept the gospel (believing the truth of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.)

Dear God, thank you for another wonderful week. Thank you for another birthday. We pray for Bob and his family. We also continue to pray for so many friends with serious needs. God, thank You for Your written Word, the Bible. Help me to study it and to understand the truths and instructions it contains for living my life.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday!!! We are so glad you had a good week and sorry we didn't get to see you at Bible Study; good thing - we both got the nasty "virus" this week; it hit me on Sunday at 3:00 am and then Ted got it on Wednesday, so a pretty miserable week. I lost 11 pounds - I can stand to lose the weight; still getting my strength back and the Lord took good care of us. I know I lack in the "studying" dept and I need to get back to it. Have a great trip - will need to "bundle up" as it is chilly for us; the high today will only be 61 but windy but better than up north. Enjoy your "junk" food!!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday. We are so blessed to call you friend . We are rejoicing with you for another good week and praying you have many more. Love ..Steve and Bobbie
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Bob! We are so thankful that you are feeling so well. We know the whole family is cherishing this sweet time together. We are rejoicing this week also, as Fred received his acceptance letter to Clemson. We found out earlier that he will get the Palmetto Fellows scholarship as well. It seems like only a short time ago we were visiting with you around your pool and Dennis was fishing him out of the pool. Time does fly. We love you and pray God's richest blessings on you. Love, Dennis & Patti
Karen said…
WOOOHOOO! It's your birthday! Do only FUN things!!! And eat all the junk food your heart desires!! Thankful for your good week ... and rejoicing with all of you for your trip to Gainesville for sweet Anderson's dedication. Praying he shares some of his contagious little giggles with you!! Happy Birthday! karen
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Mr. Bugg from the Thomas (in Michigan) family! Love the Biblical truths you share each week.
Praying for all,
Lisa
Pat Findlan said…
Happy 61st Bob!
Psalm 90:12
(seems you are doing this well)
May the number of your days be great!
(Job)
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
Your blog this week is certainly an encouraging one. You always share such critical info from THE WORD!!
We are also rejoicing with you on this your birthday. Those brownies are in the process of getting to your house today.
How wonderful that the whole family will be in Gainsville for the special service for Emily and her family and little Anderson. We just keep praising, praying and loving.
Lex and Linda
Annette DiMarco said…
Happy Birthday, Bob!

We wish you many more. The Lord is so good. How he has used you to encourage the hearts of others. You have a phenomenal ministry and I have a suspicion that others beside myself, include your post along with their Friday morning devos or quiet time. There's always so much in it to reflect upon. Have a great week. Nice pic of your new wheels. You the man!

Chuck and Annette
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Bob have a really great day and enjoy your day in Gainsville...our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and Patra. Hugs
Jon/Marilyn
Tom & Margie said…
Happy Birthday, Bob! We are so thrilled that you have been able to be "on the move" lately!
The joy of the Lord is your strength (Neh 8:10).

Tom & Margie Dunlap
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Bob,

I have to tell you how amazing it was to see you on Sat. I was so happy that you could come to the "Celebration" that we had for Deb.
She always talked about how you were so faithful in your walk thru the tall weeds. You were an inspiration to both of us as we experienced our own adventure. Bob