Baffled Doctors

Friday, January 6, 2012
From Bob

I have begun 2012 feeling the best that I have in a LONG time. I woke up last Saturday morning and the pain in my back was so much better. (Thank you for your prayers!) The relief of the back pain means I can get out of my bed unassisted.

I would love to be able to walk again. Since Saturday, I've been pushing my walker around our kitchen island, and am up to 3 laps. Patra cheers me on like I'm in a horse race..."and he's rounding the first lap..."

I felt so good on Tuesday that I asked Jenny to drive me to my office. It has been over a year since I'd been there, and I miss it. I sat at my desk and looked at my books and papers still laying on the desk... it felt good and so normal. We only stayed about 15 minutes, but it was great! Patra watched the grand kids and was a nervous wreck until we got back home. I did very well and really enjoyed the outing. When we got into the car to go home, Jenny asked me where I wanted to go next. I was pretty tired but I will take her up on the offer soon.

Sometimes success ( defined here as pain relief) interferes with our relationship with God. I remember so many times being in the emergency room and praying out loud "God, please help me." I would repeat that simple prayer over and over. During my hospitalizations, I thought often about my relationship with God. When I am in pain, "who can I turn to but the Lord." Throughout the years I have known many men who lost their focus when they achieved success (defined here as accumulating lots of money or material things). Many partnerships have endured the hard times and fallen apart after becoming successful financially.

Do we really believe that we do not need God when we are successful? (Define success however you want to). Could it be that we may need a strong relationship with God even more when times are good?

To those who have prayed that I would continue to "baffle" my doctors, thanks and please keep praying. There is no human explanation to why I am doing so well. My blood tests were perfect this week. A year ago, my albumin numbers (protein) were at 1.7 (the reason I couldn't stand without passing out)... today they are 4.0 - perfectly normal.

I am determined to remain close to God during this good time. First, I thank Him for the relief from pain. The Bible tells us in James 1:17 that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.". I consider the way I am feeling this week a very good gift. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.

I must daily stay in God's Holy Word, His Bible. Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." I need to continue to spend time in prayer. Not simply for my own self but for the many friends who are not having good weeks.

I had an Epidural Steroid Injection in my low back yesterday (Thursday.). I'm excited that it may give further relief.

"Dear God, I praise You for the relief I've felt this week. Thank you for answered prayers. Please draw me even closer to you in these good times. I know this week has been a good and perfect gift from You. Please bring comfort to those who are hurting and struggling this week."

Until next Friday,
God willing,
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Bob, Patra & Family,
YES! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow~~~
Dave came into the room just a few minutes after I read this week's blog. He also praises the Lord & commented that "perhaps God has plans for your law office....maybe that is why it wasn't sold".
As the Lord leads and may His will be done. James 4:14,15 Job 42:10
Isaiah 40:39 Isaiah 26:3,4 come to mind...
In Christ's love & our prayers
together continue. Ruthie & Dave Q.
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,

I will continue to pray that you keep on "baffling your doctors" and that you continue with relief and better days ahead. I will also, as always, continue to keep you and your family in my heart and in my prayers.

Best wishes ALWAYS,
Lauren Calta
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
We rejoice with you about the wonderful positive week that you have had. We pray for many more of those.
Bob, you have a special day coming SOON, and we hope to be there in FL by the time it arrives. That FL oven in my kitchen down there needs to be baking again.
So until we see you next week, we shall continue to praise and pray on your behalf.
We love you.
Lex and Linda
Pat Findlan said…
When we moved into our NC house we received a bird feeder as a house warming gift. We set it up in the back yard and watched the squirrels steal all the bird seed. We tried several things. We were baffled (defined as frustrated or confounded) about how to solve our problem. We visited a home store and discovered a Baffle (defined as a device to thwart by creating confusion or bewilderment). After we set that up and moved the feeder far enough from the trees so squirrels couldn't jump on it, we had success. We now enjoy watching many varieties of birds. Hope you continue to baffle (defined as confuse, bewilder or perplex) the doctors. Have a baffle (define however you want to) day!
Anonymous said…
We are so glad you had a good week. At first when I checked the Blog when I got up yesterday, I was saddened the post wasn't there yet. I am so glad it is now. Your blog continues to feed my spirit weekly and I am so happy you got to see your office and that your numbers are good and the back pain has been relieved. We sometimes "take for granted" when everything goes right for us; we need to praise God with each thought and praise, not just go to him with the "needy things" We know you continue to "Baffle" the doctors as there is still a ministry there and you are planting seeds everywhere for the Lord.
Take care my friends; keep the "horse races" going around the kitchen; you can get a "carrot" for the prize!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob,
I continue to be blessed by the messages in your blog. Even though I have not personally experienced the type of physical pain that you have endured, I, too, have had times in my life when I have repeated over and over again that simple prayer--"God, please help me." I continue to pray for you on a daily basis. Thank you for being a blessing to so many of us.
Howard B.
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year Bob!
It looks like you are starting out "gang-busters" by baffling the doctors....keep it up!
I read your Blogs and am blessed by your optimism and thankfulness to God.
Of course, I enjoy seeing your children and grandchildren too! What a good-looking family (but you already know that!)
We pray that you continue to manage your pain and that God will bless you AND others as you are thankful to Him.
Anonymous said…
oops. I forgot to put our names in the above message.....Gil and Pauline DeHamer
Mr. Bugg!!!!! JENNY HAD TOLD ME THIS STORY IN PERSON BUT IT IS NO LESS EXCITING HEARING IT FROM YOU IN THIS POST!!!!! And i love that you talk of losing our God focus in success and guarding your heart against it. I first encountered this flippant attitude when i left my first job out of college for a better, more prestigious one. A huge office, parking spot, and title went to my head and a teeny thought materialized in my head one day about 2 wks into the job. It was hardly a loud one, almost whispered..."God why do I even need you?" And the next day I was fired. And crying my whole way home I thanked God for answered prayer. That day was the day I too learned that success can breed a lukewarm apathy. I just love your example, Mr. Bugg! Your weekly posts challenge me and point me to Christ. Thank You!!!
Anonymous said…
I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better!! I'm cheering for you along with Patra! You have been such a consistent witness for our Lord through all this. I really believe you are making Him smile. Praying for many more good days...
Love, Linda Hyde