Lots to Report

Lots To Report

Friday, December 16, 2011
From Bob

Our son-in-law's eye removal surgery on Monday went well. However, he is still in a great deal of pain. The surgeon explained to Jenny that David would have more pain because of all the scar tissue he had from previous eye surgeries. He is also having problems with adverse side effects from the pain medication. We continue to pray that his pain will go away.

Our grandson Andrew had his follow up MRI at All Children's Hospital yesterday. He did better this time although he was still anxious. He received a good report from his surgeon and has been cleared for another year. We are very thankful for this good news and answered prayer.

I had an epidural steroid injection yesterday. The doctor used a monitor to help him guide the needle as he did the procedure. When he finished he said no wonder you are having such low back pain. In addition to the T-12 compression fracture, I also have several new fractures in my lower lumbar spine. I will return in 3 weeks for an injection into that area. While I was disappointed to learn about the new fractures, it does go a long way to explaining the intense pain I have had. I am so glad that scripture teaches that even as my physical body continues to deteriorate, someday I will receive a glorified body!

I have an MRI scheduled next Tuesday so hopefully the doctors will get more definitive information regarding my back. Next Thursday I have my first appointment with a neuroradiologist to discuss a surgical procedure (that many of you have suggested to me) where bone cement is injected into the spine to build up the vertebra and get the pressure off the nerves. I'm not sure if I could even be a candidate for such a surgery with my medical history, but it's certainly worth discussing.

Every Christmas season we ask our children to give us a list of what gifts the grandchildren would like. As I get older, I find that there fewer and fewer items on their lists that I recognize. When I was a boy, one of the best things about Christmas was getting the Sears "Wish Book." I would pore over that book every night and pretend that I could have any of the toys. I memorized pages of toys. My imagination ran wild. In many ways, the anticipation was better than the actual receipt of presents.

My list this Christmas is no longer about things...

1. I want to gain enough strength that I could go to a Bible study class and give my testimony of the goodness of God. (Patra thinks it would be a good idea to be strong enough that I don't pass out. I think it would make my testimony more dramatic and memorable.) Through "the tall weeds" He has never left me. His words in scripture have sustained me, comforted me, encouraged me and challenged me. It is amazing how He has "managed" my care. He has placed doctors right where they need to be. During the most difficult times He has sent Christian nurses to pray with me and to care for me. ( I need to be clear - not all of my nurses and doctors have been Christians yet almost without exception they have been very caring and competent in my care. I am so thankful to ALL of them.)
I want to be an encouragement to others. If my testimony could touch even one person and inspire or encourage them, it would be worth everything I have been through. Please pray I'll get this wish.
2. I wish that I could walk again. I am so unsteady and weak that I can only take a few steps with my walker and Patra holding me up. Even that has become more difficult lately. Not being able to walk really limits my freedom.
3. I wish that I could gain more independence to ease the burden on Patra. The role of the "caregiver" is much more than a full time job. The grandchildren are such a wonderful distraction for her. (They are wonderful for me too. Every time that Avery comes over, she runs through the house and into my room and yells "Grandpa." Makes my day!)

This week Patra and I will "celebrate" our 39th anniversary. My days of "celebrating" are not what they use to be. (I sure do wish it was my 39th birthday.) I always thought we would be one of those couples recognized at church on their 50th anniversary. As Patra and I talked the other night we agreed that life had thrown me a curve ball. So while we may not make it to 50, I will cherish every day God allows me to spend with her.


(Patra and Bob 39 years ago)


Dear God: You are so good. Even in the "tall weeds" You walk right beside us. Your Holy Spirit ministers to my needs. Our family prayer list is long this week. I pray that David will recover quickly. Thank you for the good report on Andrew. I pray that the doctors will figure out a plan to alleviate my back pain. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: We are so happy regarding Andrews good results and will continue to pray for David for the pain to subside. We always keep you and Patra in our prayers as your tall weeds don't seem to dwindle or shrivel. Your wish list is one we all pray for you, although you have achieved sharing the gospel and your testimony thru this whole ordeal has been spread throughout your local community, beyond local (Tampa) and even nationwide (MN) and you don't even know how much you have touched others thru this blog. Some that read it may never share a comment but your words are imbedded into their hearts. You have touched doctors, nurses, technicians, dialysis personnel and many, many more and God sees who you have touched. As far as walking, you are walking with the Lord which is the best kind of walk. I do wish for you that you may walk physically more as well. Yes, the grandchildren make it worth it each day; when you hear the words "Grandpa" or "Grandma" a smile immediately comes to your face and in that moment, nothing is more precious. We got a "thrown kiss" yesterday over the phone from our Zachary and the "warm fuzzy feeling" went thru our bodies with joy!

May your Christmas be so special and know you are in our thoughts and prayers and in God's hands!

Love
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
Thanks for sharing your heart with us again this week. You are such an encouragement.
Happy Anniversary to you and Patra! Enjoy every moment that God gives you two together. You complement each other so well. God certainly knew what HE was doing when HE put the two of you together.
We will continue to pray for David that his pain will be relieved; it is great that Andrew got such a good report from his doctor.
We pray for you to get the pain situation in your back worked out and that you will be able to gain strength, ability to walk alone and have many, many more happy times with family and friends as your light shines for Jesus Christ.
We love you and continue to pray and praise.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
So great to see you both on Sat and we all survived the grandkids while Sharon and Adam got a much needed break. We have a patient that had the procedure done adding cement to the spinal cord and seems to be helping with his pain. so will pray for you too...Wishing you a great and hopefully pain free Anniversary..hugs
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra,
We've been encouraged by your steadiness in your faith through following you these 2 years or so. NOW having some tall weeds of our own, we're grateful for people like you all who have set such strong example for us. Thank you.
AND -- where did you get those KIDS to pose for you for that wedding pic on your blog?????
Janice & Bob Adams
Anonymous said…
Ever since I ran across your blog on Emily's facebook page my husband and I make a point to read every Friday's post. While we have never met I hear so much about you from Emily and can tell how much she loves and admires you. You see, I'm the lucky one who gets to teach little Anderson and spend Monday through Friday with him. Every post leaves me encouraged to face life and to some how make an impact on someone's life. And as a teacher I obviously hope to influence the children in my class. As a newlywed I find it so encouraging to read about the love between you and your wife and the dedication you have. Not only does this blog encourage us, it also gives a wonderful example of a Godly married couple. We are grateful to learn from couples like you and pray to one day be there ourselves. My husband and I pray for your family many times during the week.

Elizabeth Smith
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed reading your blog and pray that God will use your testimony to draw people to himself! May he give you the strength you desire and the courage to use it.

I enjoyed the story on the sears catalog. I used to do the same! Memories.

Praying for you.

Seeking Him,
Sheryl
One of Emily's friends
Kim S. said…
Dear Mr. Bugg,

Hopefully I can come by this spring with another new baby for you to meet - I had a little girl this October- Elise Norah. Patra got to see me "great with child" when I was able to fit in a wonderful visit with Emily. We aren't ready for a long road trip to FL with her yet.

I just wanted to let you know how much your blog (b/c it is a reflection of your life and your amazing family - both a testimony of the Lord) blesses me. Thank you so much for sharing, for allowing us to, in a small way, walk with you, as we read and pray. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas filled with much good news of great joy. And praying you get all on your list!

with love,
Kim Watson Steika
Anonymous said…
Still praying for you and your family...Your blog has meant a lot to me...Thank you for your desire to keep it up...I know it is doing good for all who read it...Steve
Amber said…
Mr. Bugg,
I love you and all the Buggs so very much. I claim you because I love Emily so. I imagine you have been a father figure to many of your children's friends over the years. I have been blessed with a Godly father that I love dearly, but I have learned so much from you over the years and through this blog. Your Christmas list reminds me of Amy Grant's song "Grown Up Christmas List"

I'm praying you have a wonderful Christmas.

Lots of love,
Amber
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra, We were so glad to hear that there is a possibility that you may be able to have a kyphoplasty. We had number two this past week and all pain is gone. The brevity of this procedure is a plus as this one took only about 25 minutes. We'll be praying as we celebrate the birth of our Savior.Your journey has been an inspiration to many here several states away who read your blog.
D & K
I LOVE the wedding photo! Oh, my!