Family, Friends and Mentors

"Family, Friends and Mentors"
Friday, December 2, 2011

From Bob

It is hard to believe it is already December. I am always grateful to see a new day, so it is really exciting to turn the calendar for a new month. Everything seems to speed up in December. I may enjoy Christmas more this year because I physically can't speed up. I told Patra earlier that I was exhausted after such a busy day. After all, I had eaten three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)and with the walker AND I walked probably 20 feet to my recliner and back. In between all that activity, I took a morning nap and an afternoon nap. I should sleep good tonight!

I have an appointment this week with my cardiologist and next week I meet with my pain management doctor again. In addition to the pain in my back, I now have severe pain in my rib cage. I hope he can offer some type of relief. It is very difficult to get in and out of the car to get to dialysis 3 times a week.

I received some sad news this week, my cousin died unexpectedly from a heart attack. How I wish I could be at his memorial service today instead of at dialysis. I have so many wonderful memories as a boy growing up and going on vacation to visit his family. I am praying especially for his two children, his sister, and his dad. I would have never thought I would live longer than Jim. Every day I am reminded that we do not control our destiny. I do not know why God has allowed me to live as long as He has. I am convinced that as debilitated as I am, God has given me these "extra days" because He has a purpose for me.

I have been so blessed over the years by friends and family who have taught me, encouraged me, stood by me, and loved me. I have been especially blessed by a number of pastors who have taught me so much. One of those is my current pastor, Jerry Lancaster. He has been so faithful in teaching God's Word. But today I would especially like to thank my former pastor, Bob Adams. Bob was our pastor when our children were very young (Bob's wife Janice kept our son Adam in the church nursery. I think he was quite a hand full). I was just learning how to be a lawyer. Patra and I were learning how to raise a family.

Bob Adams was a mentor in so many ways. I remember going with him on a hospital visitation. There were several occasions when we met at my office or in his office to discuss different matters. Whenever I was with Bob, I always walked away feeling better. He was certainly one of those men who was the same in the pulpit and out of the pulpit. He was a man of integrity and honesty -character traits that I have tried to develop in my own life. Bob taught me to love the Bible as the Word of God and to study it. He would handle every situation by looking to Scripture. With Bob Adams, "What Would Jesus Do" was not a slogan, but a way of life.

When he was my pastor, he and Janice had two young daughters -older than our children, but still young. When I was diagnosed with this "nasty little disease" Bob wrote me the most encouraging letter. Little did we know then that their family would soon be walking through the "tall weeds" too. This year their daughter, Lisa was diagnosed with cancer. She is currently undergoing chemotherapy. This is a "club" where it is not welcome news when someone else joins. I was so discouraged when I heard this news. I had to remind myself that God is good and He is in control. Patra and I pray every night for Lisa and Steve and their children. I know that many others are also praying for them and I know personally that you can feel that prayer support.

It seems that our prayer list gets longer every day. There are so many people facing serious problems. I am convinced that the only hope we have is to turn the situation over to God and seek His will for each step we take.

Dear God: You are the Creator of the universe. You love each one of us. Thank you for putting men in my life who have inspired me and encouraged me in my walk of faith. I pray that where it is your will, that you would heal my friends. I pray that in every situation they would feel your presence.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
You are correct; the days are swiftly passing. DECEMBER already? It seems that each year the days go faster, if that is possible.
Bob, we continue to pray that you will get relief from the terrible pain. It is hard to imagine what you experience as you do your daily routine. Bob, God surely has a special crown for painful suffering. You will get that one for sure.
We are sorry to hear of the saddness that your former pastor's family is experiencing. We will add that special request to our prayer list also.
Well, enjoy your time with family and friends as much as possible.
We finally have beautiful sunshine here in East TN. Hopefully, we will get back to FL sunshine after the first of the year.
Love to you and your family.
Praising, praying and loving,
Lex and Linda
Pam Compton said…
Dave and I feel the same way about Bob and Janice Adams. Bob came and sat with us at the hospital for hours when Dave's mom had fallen, and came right back later that evening when she passed away. Their daughter Susan was Rachel's first baby sitter, (and I only ever had three baby sitters for the kids so she was treasured indeed). You and Patra were also the same kind of mentors for us, and Patra watched Reid in the nursery at church for his first year. I remember the comfort I felt knowing he was with Patra! Thank you for sharing the information about Lisa. I hadn't heard and will be praying for her and her family also. God's blessings on you and Patra and the kids and grands. Praying you to have less pain and that you continue to be able to stay out of the hospital! :)
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra We continue to be touched and honored to be among your friends and what you mean to us. Yes, another year has gone by - wow! We continue to be amazed at what God has done in other's lives thru you and you have such a testimony. We continue to ask for prayer for your pain and wish it could all go away. Your pastors teaching has provided you with such insight and we are blessed each week. Take care my friends! (picking the grandbaby up in the morning for the week-end)! Excited for sure!

Love
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Mr. & Mrs. Bugg,
Thanks for praying for us! I can completely relate (but not in the same way as you) to the get up walk a few feet...sit down rest...Treatment 6 was kicking my "butt" as I said, but #7 this week is kicking it even more...and you all have been so much further down this road than I...and deal with so many other things than us...I'm thankful for my family who continues to take care of things while I'm "resting"...praying for you and your family in new ways this week...Praying for rest for you all in every way! Most importantly, rest in our Heavenly Father who holds all these "tall weeds" in His hands!
With love,
Lisa (and Steve) :-)
Anonymous said…
"Tall weeds" scratch and scrape us leaving itches and boo-boos and can make us very physically uncomfortable! It's always comforting when friends and loved ones come along side us with soothing ointments and salves. Thank you God for friends with encouraging words and compliments (such as Bob gives my Bob). If we're gonna walk through the tall weeds, it's great to have Faith Brothers on the path! Romans 8:37". . . despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." (NLT) Love you all too! Janice Adams (& Bob)
Anonymous said…
Oh, Bob, how I join you in prayer...

I am rejoicing, and you know that feeling is a gift, a most precious one, when feeling under the weather, so to speak.

Thank you for your love,

Patra, love to you both.

Dottie Carson
Anonymous said…
I just do not know how to tell you how consistently uplifting your prayers are.

I suppose it is because you "get it"...all.

Much love, dear heart.

My brain finally figured out how to post here, again. I am healing in some ways. It seems that the left hemisphere of my brain is a hot mess, however the right can grow new pathways.

I thought you might like to know about the hope found around here.

I pray you feel the best you can,

again, dottie