"THANKS!"

"THANKS!"
Friday, November 11, 2011

From Bob


This week I was taught an important lesson by my grandson. Andrew had extensive dental work and the doctors put him to sleep for the procedure. He did very well but he was very anxious and scared. After it was over, he and Jenny went through fast food for a treat. As they were in line, Andrew let out a loud, "THANK YOU!"

Jenny turned around and asked who he was talking to. He said,"God." The prayers of a 6 year old boy had been answered and it was natural to him to give thanks. I thought about how many times my prayers have been answered and I have neglected to give thanks.

Note from Jenny:
I usually try not to interject into my dad's posts each week, but I just have to interrupt to share that the story got even BETTER after Andrew's prayer of thanksgiving on Thursday...

Early Thursday evening, Andrew asked Jesus into his heart! He'd been asking questions all week about God, Jesus and heaven. After he prayed this precious prayer Thursday evening, we talked a lot about what it meant for his life. Both David and I are thrilled and so grateful to God for Andrew's decision to trust Jesus Christ to guide his life here on earth and give him eternal life in heaven!

I'm with my dad... I want to learn the lesson and thank God for the years of prayers that were answered for Andrew to know and love Jesus at a young age!

Now, back to his post...

We live in a world where sin rules. As a result, disease and illness afflict us all. To be honest, until two years ago, I thought that I and my family were immune from any serious effects of sin. Sure we had our share of childhood illnesses and broken bones, but nothing too serious.

That all changed in early December, 2009 when the results of my kidney and bone marrow biopsies came back. I knew there was something wrong with my kidneys, but Amyloidosis? I had never even heard of it. That was soon followed by the hematologist/oncologist telling Patra and me that I had multiple myeloma. Watching television made me think that if I ever received this kind of news, it would be accompanied by a change in the music or lighting. But my doctor was very matter of fact. "Here is your bone biopsy report. You have multiple myeloma." Patra had tears in her eyes but held up pretty well until we got to the car. I don't remember any words we spoke but I know that as we looked at each other, we communicated on a deep level.

I am still a blessed man! Sometimes I think I may be more blessed now than I was before my diagnosis.
I have told more people I love them than I ever did before. And I mean it when I say it.
I think I can see things more clearly than I ever did before. I spend far less time worrying about inconsequential matters.
My prayer life is more focused.
The Bible is so important to me.
My family means everything to me. They have been so good about checking on me and coming by to visit. That is wonderful because I am basically bed-ridden because of my back pain. I love it when everyone crawls into Grandma's bed (right next to my hospital bed) and we laugh and play.
Patra and I have grown as a couple. Every once in while I ask her if she had known that we would be where we are, would she still have married me? So far, she has always said "yes."

My back is still giving me significant problems. I have an appointment this morning (Friday) and I am praying that soon I can get some relief.

Dear God, THANK YOU! Too often, I have neglected to give you thanks. You have been so faithful. I am even thankful for the ways you are using this "nasty little disease" to bring me closer to you. Thank you for the blessings you give. May I be faithful to You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Continuing to pray for you and your family. Thank you for your post--a blessing to me.
Howard
Anonymous said…
Hey, Bob,
Once again we thank you for your encouraging update. We are happy with you about Andrew's decision to accept the Lord Jesus as his savior. At any age salvation is great; however, with a young one, that is an entire life to live for the Lord. Praise HIS Name.
We have been praying all this week especially for your Friday appointment that the doctors will have answers for you that will help with the pain without your having to take high dosages of meds that make you feel so terrible.
We continue to praise, pray, and love. Also the brownie prodcution is continuing here in TN so that it can be transfered back to FL when we return.
Love you guys,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Praise the Lord for Andrew's decision. I am sure with Grandpa's situation and everything else that is going on in your lives, even, as a child, he says your faith and steadfastness to God and I am sure a lot of questions has been going on in his mind this entire time. Yes, when you have a serious disease, you do see things differently. I sometimes "forget" and get back into the "human routine" and you remind me to come back to where I should be. I am not there yet, but God does continue to flow his blessings our way and one of our blessings is you, Bob & Patra. We see your faith at work and we cherish each and every moment we spend in time with you, whether thru this blog or thru prayer for you on a daily basis.
Take care my friends and we will pray for your back and the guidance of the doctors to make it better.
Till next week this time!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
My prayer partner, Carole Bowers, had told me of your unique ministry as a superior teacher at church. After you set up this blog, I began following your journey.

I want to thank you for sharing all aspects of this experience which has touched countless lives. Your family's Christian examples are role models everyone should aspire to.

My prayer is for your comfort and God's peace, but especially, God's grace.

Myra M. Forrester