TENS

TENS
Friday, November 18, 2011
from Bob

I was pleased with my visit to the pain management doctor for the compression fracture in my back. After being given some options, I decided to try the conservative route first. The doctor gave me a back brace, a TENS unit (Transccutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator), a muscle relaxer, and a numbing patch which is applied to the area of pain. When I am sitting or laying in bed, the TENS unit does a good job of blocking my pain. The TENS unit has four sticky pads connected to wires which send small electronic pulses to my back. (Note from Adam: I suggested that we borrow a taser and try to shock ALL the pain out in one jolt, but Dad didn't seem too keen on that idea.) I still have difficulty standing and getting in and out of my wheelchair. Patra and I joke that we should get a video of me trying to get out of the car - someday it will be funny. Right now, I just worry that I may have to sleep in the car. We will continue this treatment for several weeks, but if the pain doesn't subside, then the doctor will try injections.

My brother Chuck came for a visit this week. He and his family live in Kentucky. After being in our house with all the grandchildren, I'm sure he will appreciate some quiet time when he gets home. The grand kids have enjoyed Uncle Chuck - crawling on him, bringing books for him to read. I enjoyed watching Andrew and Chuck discussing baseball and looking at some of my old baseball cards. As I listened to their conversation, I was struck by how fast Andrew is growing.

Bob and Riley

Avery and Chuck

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving. I am really looking forward to turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. Even more, I'm looking forward to being with all of the children and grandchildren. I don't want to just be thankful, I want God to know I am thankful to Him. Every good gift comes from God. I am spending the beginnings of my prayers praising God and thinking of His attributes. God is good, God is love, God is gracious, God is merciful, God is omnipotent, God is omniscient, God is faithful. What can you add to this list?

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
omnipresent is one of my favorite attributes of God. I find it comforting to know that He is always with me when I need Him.

Joyce
Anonymous said…
He cares for us!! 1 Peter 5:7
Al and Donna
Anonymous said…
Bob, Isn't it great to not be in the hospital on Thanksgiving! We remember you were in the Mayo Clinic about this time last year, and it was a little colder than in Florida. God is good!

I have had a spinal stimulator in my back for several years, but mine is internal, with the battery pack under the skin on my left hip. I hope that yours works as well as mine has in overriding the pain I have had in my left leg caused by damage to vertebra in my lower back.
We trust that you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving at home with your family. All of you are a blessing to us and to everyone that knows you. We love you and will continue to pray.
Tom and Margie.
Anonymous said…
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the update. We were out of town on Friday; thus, we missed reading your blog yesterday.
We are truly praying that the pain management will be just the right approach for you.
Those grandchildren are GROWING!! We think FL has special growth powers in the water!!
We praise God with you that you are home with your family this Thanksgiving and not in the COLD weather up north in the hospital. Enjoy all the great moments!!
We continue to pray, praise, and love on your behalf.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
God is a good listener! He has brought you thru thus far so we can be blessed by your posts each week and to share with your lovely family. He is an "awesome God" and are so thankful He is there for us. I know at times I feel overwhelmed when I feel I need to "let go of everything" and have a hard time; I am working on it but I am sure Satan keeps trying to keep my down.

Sorry I didn't post earlier but went to Orlando to help my son for the week-end with the stroller business.

We continue to be amazed at the growth of the grandchildren; aren't they just so adorable! I am sure your brother enjoyed them as well.

Take care my friend!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
God is so many things all rolled into one awesome God! But I think my favorite is that God is SOVEREIGN. That gives me great peace.

I send love to you and Patra,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Bob,

Wishing you and your family a wonderful and memorable Thanksgiving holiday. As always, I continue to pray for you and your family during your journey through these "tall weeds". My best always,
Lauren Calta