November 4

November 4, 2011

From Emily:

One of the joys of living in a university town is special events like Homecoming! The entire town (including the local school district) shuts down for the weekend as the campus comes alive with fans, parades, and the ever present orange and blue!

While I am not even a Gator fan, I cannot help but immerse myself in the excitement of the event: picnics with friends, play dates since school is canceled, and college football.

This year, however, I made a quick decision about homecoming weekend. I was going to actually head home. If my little family had the time off work and school, then we were going to enjoy homecoming with my mom and dad!

Multiple Myeloma has changed our family. I can honestly say that there is no place I would rather be right now than hanging out with my brother, my sister, my precious nephews and nieces… and especially mom and dad. This is home… this is homecoming.

And then I imagine what heaven must be like. What a homecoming it will be!

Here are some of my dad’s thoughts from this week:


From Bob

I was able to avoid being hospitalized this week, but hospitalization was a real possibility. This was a very difficult week. Because of significant back pain, I went back on some heavy duty pain medication. That led to some mental confusion and even worse, I had serious gastro-intestinal problems. Monday was probably the worst day I have had at dialysis. The doctor has given me another prescription for pain.

The x-ray report for my low back pain showed that I have mild degenerative disk disease throughout my low back but the more significant finding may be a compression fracture in my thoracic spine (T-12.) I have lost about 40% of the disk height. The issue is that the level of the compression fracture is higher than my symptomatology. I have an appointment the end of next week with the pain management doctor. This doctor comes highly recommended - I've learned that the better their reputation, the longer it takes to get an appointment.

I can't believe it is already November. The grandchildren dressed up this week for “trunk or treat” events at their churches. They continue to bring me joy and I have included several pictures below for you to enjoy as well.



Ms. Megan (age 2) is now modeling a new pink little cast on her leg. She broke her foot getting out of bed.





Until next Friday, God willing
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the post Emily and Bob: Yes, there is "no place like home" and you all have become our extended family and are so blessed to know you and thank you for sharing your precious photos with the rest of us.
Bob: I am so sorry for your continued pain and wish we could "click our heels" to relieve the pain. I know you enjoy the grandchildren so much and we will have our grandson this week-end. If you can, still consider acupuncture for the back pain. I know a good one if interested.
Take care my friends!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
My, what Halloween guests that you had!! They all really looked their parts, didn't they? They are cute little people,that is for sure. We know that you really enjoy having them visit lots.
We are so sorry that the main is so intense these days. It would be good if each of your friends could take your pain for one day. You have so many of us that you could then have relief for a very long time.
We are praying that the pain management doctor will be able to give you good results without the heavy meds that are so diabilitating for you.
Bob, you do such a good job of enjoying each moment. We pray that the pain can be resolved so that those enjoyable moments continue for a long time.
We continue to praise, pray and love,
Lex and Linda