Thankful

"Thankful"

Friday, October 21, 2011
From Bob

I woke up this morning and it was 65 degrees! The weatherman said it would be in the 50's tomorrow. Enough cold weather! I don't mind it being in the 70's, but anything below that is too cold for this Florida boy.

I was reminded that about a year ago, Patra and I were in Minnesota. You want to talk cold; THAT was COLD. I saw enough snow to last me forever.

One of the memories that I have from our time there was Patra and I celebrating Thanksgiving together in the hospital room. I'd had surgery about 2 weeks earlier and was still recovering. Patra sat on the edge of the bed and we ate turkey and dressing from the hospital cafeteria... not exactly the Thanksgiving feast that I am used to. Because of the cold and being there so long, we were really missing the kids and grandkids. About a week after Thanksgiving, one of my doctors wanted to do an additional surgery. I told him that I was homesick, cold, and that we had doctors in Florida who I was confident could do the surgery. Within a few days, we were on a plane flying home. I hope I never have to go back to Minnesota between November and April.

Another memory that I have is of the nurses "encouraging" me to walk. I wanted to tell them that one of their surgeons had removed my insides, and as soon as he gave me back what he took out, I would be happy to walk. The nurses didn't seem to have much of a sense of humor, so instead, Patra practically dragged my body through the halls. Whenever we passed the nurse station, I made sure they saw me "walking".

I have actually thought a lot about Thanksgiving this year and can't wait to experience a full Florida Thanksgiving with the whole family. One of the reasons that I'm thinking so much about Thanksgiving is that I have so much to be thankful for. When we left the Mayo Clinic, there was a great deal of uncertainly whether I would still be here for another Thanksgiving. Our prayer was that I would be alive for the birth of both Riley and Anderson. Not only did I get to meet them but now am enjoying watching them grow. Adam drops Riley and Avery off at our house 3 mornings a week. They are sometimes still in their pajamas and watching them play sure cheers my heart.


Since I've reached those goals of meeting my newest grandsons, I've made some new goals to look forward to. Patra and I will celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary in December, and Adam will graduate from law school in May of 2012. It will be 36 years since I graduated from Stetson Law School. I sure do hope I can attend Adam's graduation.

Next week, both Avery and Megan celebrate their second birthdays. I will share pictures of their birthday party which we are all looking forward to.

As you know if you follow this blog, I have spent a lot of time in the hospital these last 2 years and have had a number of operations and procedures. It is amazing how well I am doing. I am thankful to you who have prayed for me. I believe I am alive today because God has answered many prayers. I am forever thankful for that.

In dialysis, it appears that I am in a vicious cycle where I drink too much fluid which results in "fluid overload". I try to drink very little each day but I am always so thirsty and sometimes I cheat. One of the symptoms of my disease is extreme thirst, and yet I must limit how much I can drink. When they take off my excess fluid it causes my blood pressure to plummet. As I have mentioned many times, after dialysis I am extremely dehydrated. I cannot describe how miserable that feeling is. In order not to faint, I drink some fluid as soon as Patra gets me to the car, and this causes the "fluid overload" cycle to continue. It is such a delicate balance... one that I have not yet mastered.

Dear God,
Thank you for so many blessings. I also thank you for our friends who have supported and prayed for us. We are truly blessed. I thank you for everyday that you have allowed me to be with my family and for bringing me through the "tall weeds". May I be faithful to you in everything that I do. May my thirst be only for you Lord. In Jesus name. Amen


Until next Friday,
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you Bob for continuing to share and teach us as you go thru your "tall weeds". We are so grateful and thankful for the blessings you receive, especially thru your grandchildren! They are something else! What joy they bring to our lives and they are our therapy! Glad you will be "home" for this Thanksgiving. It will be a special time for you and your family.

Have a great week and keep "warm"!
It will be a great walk for me for my Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in the am.

Take care my friends!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Hello, Bob,
It is wonderful to get your update today. Yes, grandchildren are truly our hearts' love, aren't they? We are really enjoying our grandchildren here in TN. Since Lex has had a birthday recently, our grandchildren have been helping him celebrate. He loves having a whole week of celebration.

Hearing your memories brings to mind many of the memories of our times with you and your family. We agree; you are truy blessed.

We rejoice with you that you can have the Thanksgiving celebration this year in true Florida form. It is impossible to believe that those precious little girls are already two. We still have the picture of you and Patra with them in their little pink outfits on our music stand. They were tiny in your arms.

We, too, pray that your days in that horribly cold weather are truly finished. We enjoy some cold, but not lots of it.

Have a great weekend. We look forward to hearing from you each week, God willing.

We continue to praise, pray and love,
Lex and Linda