Silver Lining

Friday, October 7, 2011
from Bob

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God.
All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:1-5


The above verses are some of my favorites in the Bible. While the divinity of Christ and the Trinity are difficult concepts to understand, these verses make it clear that Jesus was present with God from the very beginning, and in fact is God.

This week has been a pretty good week. (Any week I am not in the hospital is a good week.) I am still having blood pressure problems after dialysis. I can almost make it through the 4 hours, but right towards the end I usually get dizzy. I also continue to have painful muscle spasms in my back. (Fortunately, they are NOT as bad as the electric type shocks that I was having). The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxing medication which works a little too well. It's been effective in loosening my back muscles, but it has also been quite a trip! Patra was amused today when I looked at the clock and tried to say "eleven" - I think my 2 year old grand-daughters say it about the same way I did. "L a l a v i n", I slowly said. Patra said that's what time it is in "La la land." It's a good thing the meds have worn off enough for me to dictate this blog. Patra's been giving me some caffeine to jolt me out of a 3-day fog.

Saturday, our grandson Andrew (6) had a Little League game. It was cool and crisp here in Florida that morning, and everyone was energized by the refreshing weather. Patra pushed me in my wheelchair to watch his game. I had to wear a sweatshirt, but it felt so good to be outside. This time last year, I never would have imagined I'd ever get to see Andrew play another season. God is good... all the time.

Patra and I realize every day how blessed we are by our family and friends. Thursday night we were visited by 2 friends who drove up from Miami. I have known them since I was about 2 years old. We reminisced and laughed about old times at school and church youth group. The silver lining of having this "nasty little disease" is that I have had the wonderful pleasure of reconnecting with a number of friends I have known since childhood. Many from my church's youth group have dropped by to encourage us. We are all now in our 60's, but it seems that we've been able to pick up right where we left off.

Dear God, I thank you again for the blessings that you give. I thank you for Jesus who was there at the beginning and came to earth in order to die and be resurrected. Jesus did this because he loved all mankind. Father, please be with all of our friends that are also "walking through the tall weeds". Thank you for our family and long time friends who share a common bond through Jesus.
In Jesus name, Amen.


Until next Friday, God willing
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: Thanks again for the insight you continue to give us each week. You are truly a blessing to all of us and glad you had a good week. Thanks again for the humor - yes, muscle relaxers can affect you strangely. Isn't it wonderful to connect with the "old friends" It seems like yesterday when we were young! Glad you got to go to Andrews game as well; it seems like yesterday when our son was playing ball. Our grandson got his second Rays shirt and ballcap and he wore them with me two weeks ago watching the game. How precious are the children and what they do to lift our spirits. Take care my friends and we will continue to pray for "good weeks" for sure!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Glad this went well this week ..we keep up with you thru Sharon...maybe sometime soon we can make a trip to see you both...take care and know our thoughts and prayers are with you always..hugs
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Good evening, Bob,
Lex and I are now in Asheboro, NC, to celebrate my HS graduation tomorrow. We have revisited downtown Asheboro as well as going to High Point and visiting my cousin Susan who is having chemo treatments. She is doing quite well for which we are all so thankful.
I am look in wonder as I roam the streets that I walked when I was a child. My, how different everything looks.
I have tried all afternoon to get to your page. It is amazing how much we forget even about the addresses to places we visit often. So we are here without our own computer(left home on purpose), but I have agonized to get to your blog. Then, after dinner tonight, I suddenly remembered a . that I had been ommitting while typing in your blog page.
It is wonderful to KNOW that you had a good week. WE had been praying that you would be able to go to Andrew's ball game. YEAH for you.
Well, we will say goodnight and take good care.
We continue to pray, praise and love,
Linda and for Lex
So happy you are able to get out and enjoy this wonderful weather! Isn't this a great time of year in Florida!
Anonymous said…
So happy that you are having good days! It really is hard to believe that all our high school friends are 60!!! I did want to comment and agree that connections as brothers and sisters in Christ are those that really do last forever. And as I get older I realize how precious that is. I'll keep checking in with you on here and keep praying for more good days.
Love to you both, Linda Hyde