150 and Counting

150 and Counting

Friday, October 28,2011
From Bob

Megan and Avery's two-year-old birthday party was a great success. I may be biased, but these are the two cutest two-year-olds I know. Sharon and Jenny did a great job preparing for the party, and it was good to see so many family members. The girls had all of their grandparents there. That means a lot to me because I don't remember any of my grandparents. I find great comfort in knowing all of my grandchildren have loving grandparents who will always love and support them. Megan and Avery were also surrounded by brothers, cousins, uncles, aunts, and friends.




Unfortunately, while sitting in my wheelchair at the party, I twisted my back and it went into spasm. Monday, at the conclusion of dialysis, I was unable to get into my wheelchair due to the pain in my back. The nurses had me wait several minutes before I finally made it to the wheelchair. When they pushed me into the reception room, Patra said I looked terrible - no color in my face and my shirt was wet from sweat. We eventually were able to get me loaded in the car.

I had an x-ray yesterday of my low back and we are making an appointment with a pain management doctor.

This is the 150th post for this blog since January, 2010. I can't believe it. Moffitt Cancer Center recommended its bone marrow transplant patients keep a blog to update family and friends. I had never done anything like it before. I figured I would write a few blog posts while in the hospital. I honestly thought my "nasty little disease" would be in remission once I finished the bone marrow transplant and there would be nothing further to write about.

Boy was I wrong on the whole "remission" thing.

I would have never believed what has occurred during the past two years. Patra and I often talk about our "journey" and the twists and turns it has taken. This was not our plan for these years. I could not have made it without her. While we would not have chosen to walk through these "tall weeds," we know that God is in control and that He will never leave nor forsake us. It is in some of the darkest moments that I most feel God's love and mercy.

The blog has worked in keeping people informed. Surprisingly, writing the blog has been therapeutic for me. I think about the events from a different perspective. It turned into a "family affair" where Jenny, Emily, Adam and Patra have all been called upon to assist. I am especially appreciative of them taking charge during those times I was unable.

I hope my grandchildren will read the blog someday and feel like they know their grandfather a little better. I have tried to be honest and transparent in my writings so they will know the "real me."

One of the greatest blessings of the blog is the number of people in my life that it has allowed me to re-connect with. Friends from childhood in Miami, friends from Elementary school, Junior High School, High School, College and Law School, friends from Youth Group at church, lawyers and staff I have worked with over the years, friends from church and the children's schools.

Dear God: Thank you for always being there. You have never let me down. Help me to always be faithful to you. Father, help me to be the husband, father, grandfather and friend that I should be. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
Again you imspire us with your comments and your honesty. Your family is so blessed to have you and to be shown your love for your Lord.

You are making a treasure for your grandchildren. They will have you with them the rest of their lives through the blog. What a wonderful way to share yourself with all of us.

We contnue to pray. praise and love, Bob. We shall pray especially for the back situation. We pray that the pain will be understood by the doctors so that they can form a method of control to keep it from interferring with your moments with family and friends.

Have a good week.
Lex and Linda
Sam Davidson said…
As someone who reads every word of this blog, thanks for writing. I enjoy hearing the updates and keeping up with everything. Thanks for your honestly, willingness to share, and allowing all of us a peek into what's going on.
Anonymous said…
Bob: I am so sorry I didn't get to your blog until Friday evening. Maybe that is why I felt "off" today; I didn't get my "cup of encouragement" from my friend. I am praying that the back pain will subside; again; don't rule out acupuncture. When I had a bout with sciatica, it did help. Muscle spasms are nasty, for sure. Yes, the girls are the prettiest girls I have seen and I have a grandson that is pretty terrific too!

Take care my friends; we continue to pray and think about you a lot every day. You continue to be our teacher and your wisdom and willing your share your heart and soul mean so much to us!
God bless you all!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
I'm here with the honest truth-- next to my 4 grandones, YOU AND PATRA have the cutest/prettiest grandchildren I've ever seen. It brings a smile to my face every time I see pics of them! (partly because I can see their Bugg side in each of them)!! Praying for relief from the back pain today!
Janice & Bob Adams (Bob's up with Lisa this week!)