Distractions

Distractions
Friday, September 30, 2011
from Bob

1 Peter 4:11 - "... by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified in Jesus Christ."

It's been a good week!

I think we've made some progress with respect to my dialysis treatments. They have raised my "dry" weight (the weight they try to get me down to by removing fluids). Because they are removing less fluid, I have not passed out this week from dehydration. Unfortunately, I continue to have intense muscle spasms in my low back, but I'm praying that is going to resolve itself soon. I have had to take some heavy duty pain meds this week to keep the pain manageable.

Since contracting this nasty little disease, some people have responded to me as if I had done something noble or honorable in contracting this disease. It is my belief that because we live in a fallen world, there are illness and diseases which people contract for no apparent reason. This week as I read my Bible, the thought came to me that while there is nothing noble about being diagnosed with this disease, my response to this illness is extremely important. I must find God's peace and God's provision for every day. My belief is that in the midst of my suffering, if I hold firm to my faith, then THAT will bring honor and glory to God. All I desire is to be faithful to Him and obedient to His will.

We had a good weekend. Emily came home for a visit, so we had all our kids and grandchildren here. Below is a photo of Patra and I with the 6 grandchildren. Please note that it was harder to get that picture than it would be to nail Jello to a tree. As we tried to take the picture, one baby needed to be fed, another child didn't want to take pictures, another had a meltdown and grandpa wasn't feeling very well either. For our friends who have more than 6 grandchildren, I wish you the best if you try to get a picture of them all at the same time.



We have also apparently entered the stage where the little girls are going to start performing for us. Below is a 30 second excerpt from their dance performance for us on Saturday night.



Truly, our grandchildren are a blessing and have been a great distraction from this disease. They make me laugh all the time.


Dear God,
Thank you for a good week and for our family. Thank you for the times we are able to share with each other. I pray that the memories of these happy times will stay in our hearts forever. I also continue to pray for so many of our friends who are walking through the tall weeds. I specifically pray for their comfort though your presence.
In Jesus name
Amen


Until next Friday,
God willing
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: We are so grateful you had a good week. Yes, you are right in the fact that it is how we deal with our life situations that make us who we are and that our response to how we handle things is what God gets us thru and how others are perceiving us as well and the faith is the difference in our lives.

Thanks for sharing your family us. There is nothing greater than the laughter of grandchildren, that is for sure! It is precious! We have had so much fun with our grandson these past few weeks; we did ask for a break this week-end as I have a cold, but love every moment with him. He is into trains and cars and have taken him to Largo Central Park for the train ride there and he loves it!

Might want to try acupuncture for the back spasms. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I know an excellent one if interested. Have Patra email if there is an interest.

Take care my friends and glad they got the dialysis better situated.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
Thanks for sharing your heart with us. We loved watching those sweet grandchildren. They are truly a blessing from our Lord.
We continue to pray for you and your family as we covet your prayers for us.
We pray that the upcoming week will be a good one for you and that the back pain will subside.
Praying, praising, and loving,
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
More, More!
Give me more of the giggling girls!
They're an adorable "shot in the arm"
of joy.
Anonymous said…
The picture with the two of you and the grandchildren was worth any stress it caused! Beautiful family, even with the missing in between generation! Love to all of you!
<3 Sheri Freedman
Anonymous said…
What an amazing pic! And those girls are too funny. I want to kidnap them they are so cute! Glad to hear you had a good week. You remain in our prayers.
Jennifer & Lindsey N.
Anonymous said…
Happy things went well this week..I know the girls are so cute as we couldn't stop laughing while whatching Avery and Megan..Avery is so much fun now such a joy and such a winderful gift from God..Riley is such a cutie too....love spending time with them as I know you do too...our love and prayers to you both..
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Those grandchildren are PRECIOUS!! So glad you have had a good week and I pray it will continue.
Love to you and Patra,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Amen!
Love the pics and the video!
Lisa Thomas
Priceless post and photo! FYI it took over 40 pictures before I could get a good picture for Robin's adoption announcement and there was just one of her. I don't know how you pulled it off! The video is hilarious!