These Days

Friday, July 1
from Jenny

On Thursday of this week, my parents shared a wonderful visit with a longtime friend. When my mom was about fifteen years old, she met Jackie, a young woman who became a mentor, teacher and dear friend through the years. Jackie was instrumental in leading my mom to Christ, she worked at my parents' high school, and was actually the one who introduced them to eachother when they were 17 years old! Jackie joked with me today, as I stopped by to briefly say hello, that she began and ended her matchmaking career with my mom & dad. She figured she should stop while she had a good track record, I suppose! Jackie and her sister spent sweet time with my parents today just encouraging them, playing with a few of the grandkids, and catching up on old times. It was a real treat for my parents.

These days, we have been blessed with lots of special visits like Jackie's. Just last week, Uncle Chuck (my Dad's brother) was back in town and was able to spend part of his time at the house while he attended a conference nearby. Emily & James were able to come down from Gainesville, too. It's really great for us (their kids) to see all the love and support of those who know my parents so well and from all different parts of their lives.

My dad enjoys the visits and is usually able to lie on the couch for a few minutes and contribute to the conversation here and there. But the shingles are still causing him tremendous pain, and the pain medications leave him exhausted and often confused. Today, he wanted to talk about his dialysis schedule with me. He began by saying that he thought he was a little fuzzy and asked me what today was. It took me a good ten seconds to recall the correct answer for myself, and he got it right before I did! I laughed, and told him he seemed to be in better shape mentally than I was at the moment!

Dad has stayed out of the hospital for two weeks now, and we are all SOOOO grateful for that! A hospital bed was given to my Dad this week to use at home, and he was so excited the morning after his first night's sleep in it. With the ability to raise and lower his head, he is getting more comfortable periods of sleep.

He struggles with his continued, unquenchable thirst (if you recall, he is limited to 32 oz. of liquid each day because of dialysis and his congestive heart failure).
My mom asked him tonight (Thursday) what he would write about if he could compose his own blog post. His answer: The Samaritan woman who went to the well for water and Jesus' offer of water that would quench her thirst forever. He said he'd like some of that thirst-quenching water tonight. My mom told me, "I'm sure he would have turned that into a wonderful blog post."

I have no doubt.

But these days, he just isn't able to gather the strength. So, we'll just keep on reporting our weekly updates on his behalf. We'll continue to use these opportunities to express our gratitude for the strength you infuse into us through your prayers and friendship. We'll keep on praising God for His presence and peace, and we'll continue to ask for your prayers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning, dear friends,
We are rejoicing with you about all the great visits you are having. There is nothing quite like walking down memory lane with long-time friends. We have been doing a bit of that going through boxes and books and boxes and books of photos trying to get them into some sort of order.
Bob, Linda can totally empathize with you and the suffering from the shingles. OH HOW THEY HURT!!
Remember, Bob, the French Foreign Legion hWad to get by on about 16 ounces of water a day. Try to think of that when you are drinking your 32 ounces. Maybe that will help a bit, and maybe not. Wish we could drink for you.
We love you, Bob and Patra. You are in our hearts every day and many times in our prayers.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Thanks again for the post. This blog is so special and we know Bob's heart is there and it shows no matter who does the post.

It is so good to have long-time friends that can come and share the memories for sure and you want to savor the time you spend with friends and family.

We all are a part of your extended family and know that we think and pray for you often.

Bob is such a special person and wish we could "quench" his thirst. It seems true when someone tells you that you can't have something, we then want that thing. Although, I know some people don't drink that much in a day.

Take care my friends, enjoy each and every special moment together!

Love
Ted & Carol W
Thanks for the update. So happy the hospital bed helped!
Anonymous said…
God Bless and Keep you all in the serenity of His Perfect Love. We will continually keep you in our prayers.

thanks to each of you for the blessing you are to us.

who'd ever have thought you would be thankful for a hospital bed in your home :)

love to each of you.

Carolyn and Tony
Anonymous said…
Continuing to pray every day.
Howard B.
.
Anonymous said…
Patra & Bob - How wonderful that Jackie was able to come see you - I know you really enjoyed that!! Wish I could come for a visit but I'm so glad that your daughters keep posting on the blog. I pray for all of you, knowing that God is able to give peace and comfort to aching bodies and souls. Know that I send much love,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad Jackie introduced you and Patra to each other. I appreciate the times when you let me hang around when I was visiting in Miami. Y'all have always been so welcoming to us out-of-towners and so much fun to be around. I enjoyed hearing your stories followed by your laughter.

Each summer and Christmas, we looked forward to the arrival of the Bugg family to SC. All those times together were very special and provided us with wonderful, lasting memories.

Bob, I used you and one of your earlier blog posts in one of the Sunday School lessons I taught as an example of how we're supposed to handle the difficulties in our lives. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, encouraging words, humor, and the love of Christ through this very unexpected journey. You and your amazing family are an inspiration and example for us all. You are a blessing and I'm so thankful that you know the One who can quench the thirsting of your soul.

Please know that I keep you and your precious family in my prayers and I love you ALL very much!

With arms reaching across the miles,
Debbie
Anonymous said…
Bob,
I have been so blessed by the last two weeks of hearing from you.
You have such a gem in Patra. I can see her now arranging your van/bed. She really is a great helpmate.
And I am so impressed and encouraged by the trip to Gainesville. Some of us might not have attempted the trip but visualizing you and Patra together on the road is HUGE.
We love you both so much and hope you know that EVERYTHING you share is lesson for our lives.
Mary C.
nelson peltz said…
Great blog. very informative. thanks
pershing square
Kokoda said…
awesome post........

Great Post! This blog is ever amazing. Thanks
Adventure
Its the best blog and a quality source to get updated by some of the greatest facts. Cataract Orange County