"Dodging Bullets"

Friday, July 29, 2011

“Dodging Bullets”

From Bob (dictated to Patra)

This week turned out to be much more exciting than I would ever have imagined.

Friday morning I woke up very sick. Patra and I went to dialysis and they told us to head to the E.R. When we arrived at the hospital they loaded me with pain killers and sent me to the hospital's dialysis room. I was so sick to my stomach so they had to reduce the time I was on dialysis.

The doctors discovered that I had a bowel obstruction. I was told I would probably need surgery. As the surgeon explained what he would have to do for the surgery, it did not sound like something I would enjoy. However, he also said there was a chance the problem might resolve itself.

This is where my real problems started. The doctors inserted a naso-gastric tube. Naso = nose. Gastric = stomach. I would encourage everyone to avoid a naso-gastric tube.

Let me explain how this works… First, all the doctors disappear. They do not like screaming.

A nurse finds several of her colleagues that have no objection to torture and invites them to join in. The nurse in charge wears a hood to protect her identity. In my case that was unnecessary. I never knew that when I screamed I shut my eyes.

They take a large garden hose and stuff it down your nose all the way into your stomach. You are left with the garden hose in your throat which prevents swallowing. Speaking of swallowing…as long as the naso gastric tube is in your throat, you should abstain from swallowing.

Fortunately my body was able to get rid of the bowel obstruction without the need of surgery. When this happened one of my doctors told me I had dodged another bullet. My surgeon shook my hand and said “Hallelujah”.

On Monday, while in dialysis, my heart went out of rhythm again. That kept me in the hospital one more day while they straightened out my medications. On Tuesday, I was released from the hospital.

I would ask that you continue to pray, and I solicit your prayers specifically that I would not have a repeat of the blockage. I do not believe that I could survive another episode without surgery.

The doctors advised me that there is nothing I can do to prevent another episode. There is no medication, exercise or diet that will impact whether or not the blockage reoccurs. I am convinced that your prayers helped me avoid the surgery. I admit to being very afraid of another episode of obstruction.


Father, let your light shine in my life so that I might be a testimony of the love of Jesus. I pray that I will not have another obstruction. I am so grateful for those who prayed for me. Father, I don’t understand all of the things you are doing in my life but I do know that I love you, I trust you and I know that you are good and faithful.

Until next Friday. God willing.

Bob

Comments

Surviving 4 said…
I had an NG tube during my pregnancy with the twins and can honestly say it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Within 24 hours, I had a complete nervous break-down that required a whole lot of seditaves, removal of the NG tube, and a hug from my mommy. I am so sorry you had to endure that - in addition to all of the pain you were in. Please know that Tyler and I will faithfully pray against a repeat blockage. Praise God for His intervention this week! And just so you know, I'm hoping for a really boring, "nothing new is happening" blog update next week.

Blessings,
Kari for the Mattinglys
Anonymous said…
Good Morning,Bob,
We are so thankful that you are HOME from the hospital. We prayed fervently that the surgey would not have to take place.
When our note of that went out to the prayer partners here in TN, the word was "God still performs miracles". Truly HE does do just that.
We continue to pray and praise on your behalf.
We love you and Patra.
Will see you soon, God willing.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob: We will be praying for you as well and pray you never have another obstruction. Thank goodness, I have not to have one of those and pray I never have too. I have seen the size of my garden hose!

It is bad enough with the sleep apnea to have a cpap machine; I will settle for that.

I know they said nothing might help, but I take dark caro syrup when things get a little rough; don't know if it would help, but surely couldn't hurt.

I know it is not funny, but your wit is something I cherish so much.

Take care my friends; I am under the weather myself; hoping to "nip this in the bud" so they say so I stayed home from work and am taking everything I can to stop this draining and bronchial mess.

Hang in there and know your friends have you in their thoughts and prayers constantly.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Hang in there Bob - praying for you.

Boe Rushing
Anonymous said…
Bob,

You have not lost your sense of humor and that is an awesome thing considering all you have to deal with. It is welcome become sometimes we smile and sometimes we cry when we read your blog. It is a real blessing that you are so open about the good times and even the bad times. I know it is a help to others who might sometime have to deal with similar (hopefully, less serious) situations. As always, love and prayers from the McKinneys
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra,
Thank you, Jesus, for your faithfulness. Thank you, Bob, for being so transparent, and for letting the light in you shine out so clearly. We will continue to pray for you and believe that God is at work in this situation.
Your sense of humor in the midst of so much pain never ceases to amaze us. A cheerful heart is a blessing.
As you go through "Dialysis World" and I through "Parkinson's World" it's great to be able to lean on Jesus!
We love you all.
Tom and Margie
Anonymous said…
Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.....That's what it boils down to, isn't it? May the love of Christ and of your family and friends sustain you and Patra. Going to go create a special "anti-blockage" prayer, now...
Bob and Sue
Reading this reminded me of when I graduated form nursing school in 76' and went to work in a Catholic hospital on a huge, busy medical surgical floor. In the old days EVERYONE going for ANY KIND of surgery got an ng-tube inserted prior to surgery. They were red, rubber hoses that were so soft and floppy we would ice them to help stiffen them prior to insertion. Can you imagine how ng-tubes have improved over the years, Bob? I know. I know. It's a real stretch when you're on the receiving end!!!! Glad you are feeling better!
Buck Woody said…
Bob (and family) wanted you to know that we have been praying for you every morning since we heard about this years ago. We continue to lift you and your family up each day at devotions time. I wish we could wrap our arms around you - but for now we'll let God do that for us.