Dialysis World

Friday, July 15

“Dialysis World”
From Bob

I am so thankful to Jenny, Emily, Adam and Patra for their help with the blog. Many times it is not until late Thursday night that the decision is made that I will be unable to help. They take over for me and make sure that those who read the blog are kept up to date. With so little time to prepare, I am always amazed at how well they present the blog.

I have not needed to go into the hospital for 4 weeks. That is a big answer to prayer. My last prayer every night is that I not wake up in the hospital or in an ambulance headed to the hospital.

I am still having pretty significant pain from the shingles. Fortunately, the pain pills help alleviate the pain. The most significant problems I am having now are fatigue and confusion.

For the past several weeks, I have wanted to write about a topic that I believe God wants me to share with you. Unfortunately my mental confusion makes it hard to concentrate. So bear with me and hopefully God will translate this lesson for us all. I went in this week and had a blood transfusion. That has given me a little boost and I believe will give me the strength to finish this blog.

When I was first diagnosed with this “nasty little disease,” I told Patra I did not want to miss the lessons God has for us. After some time, I became convinced that God wanted to teach me about pride. Every time we talked about it, Patra said “But you are not prideful.”

Prior to having my kidneys shut down, I knew very little about kidney dialysis. I didn’t realize that I was about to enter a different world.

Welcome to “Dialysis World.”

God has made it very clear that I need to give attention my new situation.

Let me give you a little picture of “Dialysis World.” These are my new friends. Some have lives very similar to mine. Many of them are much worse physically than I am. Many have diabetes. Many have become amputees. Many have rare or frightening diseases. Almost every week, someone is in the hospital. Many are financially limited. They wonder where the money for a sandwich will come for that night. Most are transported to and from dialysis by a transportation service. Many are not compliant with their scheduled dialysis. Recently one of my new friends told me stories about his recent stint in prison.

There are doctors and nurses and technicians who work very hard filtering our blood and removing excess fluid. My schedule is Monday,Wednesday and Friday. We spend typically 4 hours on the dialysis machine. Almost every day, either I or one of my friends will have trouble during dialysis. You would think we'd feel better after the cleansing of blood, but it leaves us exhausted and dehydrated. I have passed out a few times myself.

God has led me to understand that I need to focus on “Dialysis World.” Before I look at my own problems, I need to remember this new ministry that God has given me. This is very different from any group I have been with. My new friends are from every walk of life.

After I have given consideration to “Dialysis World” I can then look at my own problems. It is amazing how my own problems seem so much more manageable after thinking about the bigger problems. My new friends are teaching me a great deal about dealing with life’s issues.

How about you? Are you focused only on your own problems? Is there a bigger picture that you need to consider?

Dear God:

Thank you for all the lessons you teach me. Help me to understand your teaching. I thank you for my friends in “Dialysis World.” I pray that I will be a blessing to my new friends. I thank you for a good week and I pray that if it is your will, I can stay out of the hospital.


Until next Friday. God willing!

Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: It is so good to hear from you, although we thank your entire family for keeping us updated on your "nasty little disease".

Thanks for the lesson and the insight into your "dialysis world" and for the challenges you face, as well as your new friends. Yes, your testimony will touch other lives, I have no doubt of that. You will "let your light shine - you won't hold it under a basket" You have touched so many lives with your witness and testimony and faith to God and He is using you each and every day.

We pray you continue to stay out of the hospital and that the pain of the shingles goes away and that God will heal and strength you.

Thank you for the lesson!
Take care my friends!

Ted & Carol W
Pam said…
Bob, so glad you felt well enough to post this week! Praise God from whom all blessings flow - you are continually in our prayers.
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,

Thanks for your good update. It is very nice to hear from YOU personally. You are correct that your children do a wonderful job, but everyone is happy when you feel well enough to talk to us yourself.

You have reminded us of a lesson that we often don't remember. We do need to focus on others and what is going on in their lives. It is too easy to look at our own needs. You, of all the people we know, have the right to look at your own issues.

Bob, you are truly being used of God to teach us valuable lessons .
You encourage us in every single area of our lives.

Thank you.

We continue to pray, praise, and LOVE you and Patra.

See you soon end of August. We look forward to our visits with you then.

Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Dear Buggs, thank you all for the blessing you are to us and to everyone you meet. Bob, I have no doubt your new friends say the same thing and look forward to your ministry to them. Now I understand a little more about why he "took you" from us; they needed you more. God Bless - continually praying and will now add your new friends to our prayer list.
Love, Carolyn and Tony
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
4 weeks! Praise the Lord!
He loves to do the unexpected
and the seemingly impossible.
How very, very true. When you experience exposure to walks of life you normally wouldn't be part of it can become a real eye opener.
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob, I just recently found out about your health issues from a lawyer who stopped into my bookstore in Tarpon Springs. Since then I have been trying to locate your blog. The first day I googled it at work I downloaded a virus. Finally I find it and you are blogging personally. That's wonderful. I want to say that having worked for you that you are one of the finest Christian men I know. It's interesting that you are talking about pride as I always admired the way you held yourself at work. I always found you to be a gentle caring person and not prideful at all. I admire that you are using your illness as an opportunity to share your faith. As a Christian I know that God has a reason for all of this but it is still very hard to see you and your family having to go through this. Again let me say what an impact you had in my life and God bless you and your family.

Boe Rushing
Anonymous said…
I was very thankful for your blog today...To read it was from you was very encouraging....Your words and strength are a large blessing to me...When I do pray, I always pray the Lord gives you a great day, with healing and comfort from Him...I know He loves and cares for you, and I also know He has used you to help me...I look forward to your writing next weeks post, and I am confident He will give you strength to do so...And know this, without Him we can do nothing, but with Jesus we can do all things...Thanks again Bob,...Steve...
Anonymous said…
So happy to read the blog in your own words..knew from Sharon that you are doing better...you are realy teaching us to enjoy every day and be thankful to God every day for what he gives us..the joy of grandkids..and your amasing children..Enjoy your trip to Gainsville..love to you both
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for this week's blog post. It was such a blessing to me. As always, prayers continue for you every day.

Howard
Anonymous said…
Bob,

So glad to hear you were well enough to write the blog this week. I follow it every week in hopes that my prayers have been answered that you find comfort while everyone else tries to find a cure for this "pesky little disease of yours." I will continue to keep you and your family in my heart and prayers......
Lauren Calta