Pneumonia

"Pneumonia"
(From Adam)
June 10, 2011

Sorry for the delay in posting this blog. We know many of you try to check it first thing on Friday mornings, so delays can cause concern.

We don’t have much information to post since there has not been much of a change in Dad’s condition. I am also not the story-teller that Dad, Jenny, or Emily is, so I was pretty happy when told that I only have to do a “factual update.”

Dad was diagnosed with pneumonia this week and spent the majority of the week in CCU (Cardiac Care Unit) undergoing breathing treatments. On Wednesday night, he was moved into a regular room and I was able to spend some time visiting with him there yesterday (Thursday) afternoon.

Dad is still having chest pain so he is being given pain killers to try to manage that pain. The side effect of the medication is that it makes Dad a little “foggy” and confused at times. Since he is unable to get out of bed, he has wraps around his legs that constrict and massage his legs to circulate the blood into his lower legs. He told me that because of his confusion, he was giving Mom a lot of credit because he thought she was massaging his legs. When he was in dialysis later that day (where Mom is not allowed to be with him), Dad became very concerned because he could not figure out who was crawling into his bed with him to massage his legs. He was very relieved to discover that no one was massaging his legs, although Mom lost a little credit by his discovery.

The highlight of the week was that Emily was able to come down to visit with Austin and Anderson. Unfortunately, even though Emily was able to visit with Dad, she was not allowed to bring the kids up to see him because the CCU floor does not allow children under 10 years old to visit. Jenny, Emily, and I were able to get all the grandchildren together and we enjoyed seeing them play in pairs (Andrew & Austin (1 year apart), Megan and Avery (6 days apart), & Riley and Anderson (7 weeks apart)). I know that Mom also enjoyed getting to see all of her grandchildren at some point this week.

At this point, we don’t know when Dad will be released from the hospital. He is still very weak and unable to stand or sit on his own. Thank you for your continued prayers.

Comments

Jenny said…
Thanks for the update, Adam... I hadn't heard the story about dad's mystery leg massages. That's really funny! Thanks for the laugh! And for doing this week's update.

Jenny
Anonymous said…
Emily, Adam and Jenny - you guys are wonderful. What a blessing to your parents.

thanks for keeping us all informed - love and prayers to you all.

Carolyn and Tony Shoemaker
Anonymous said…
Adam,
You did a great job with the update. We got a laugh visualizing Bob with the leg person.
We enjoyed our time there in Clearwater. It was good to talk with your Dad before he went back into the hospital. He is so proud of you, Adam, as he is of all three of you and the grandkids.
We will continue to pray and praise on everyone's behalf.
We love you, Bob and Patra.
Lex and Linda from good ole TN
Anonymous said…
Our prayers are continuing for all of you..wish there was something more that we could do for you all ..all our love
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Still praying for you....Thanks for the updates...If there is anything we can do please let us know...Steve and Debbie Hobbs...
Anonymous said…
Thanks Adam for the update. You are right that some of us anxiously await the update each Friday. We all love your family and our prayers are constant with every aspect of this "nasty little disease". The strength, courage and faith of your family continues to teach us every week that we need to keep focused on what is good and that God teaches us compassion and let's us love each other in a way that other people that do not have faith can't even begin to understand. The example of your family is something we strive to achieve in our own and we have been so blessed to be part of your lives and still pray for miracles from this "nasty little disease". Take care all and know how much you are loved.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Due to weird schedules today, I went to the traditional worship service and we sang a hymn I had forgotten...The words made me think of you,Bob and Patra, and your family. May not be able to put them in one post, so will put two verses per post....
Sue Blanchard
Anonymous said…
I hope these words bring comfort and strength! "How Firm a Foundation" from the Methodist hymnal under the "Strength in Tribulations" section:
1. How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord, is laid for your faith in His excellent word! What more can He say than to you He hath said, to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
2. Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed for I am thy God and will still give thee aid; I'll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
3. When through the deep waters I call thee to go, the rivers of woe shall NOT thee ovrflow; for I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
4. When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie, my grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply; the flame shall not hurt thee; I only design thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.
5. The soul that on Jesus still leans for repose, I will not, I will not desert to its foes; that soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never, no, never, no never forsake.
Margaret Lonquist said…
I feel your present situation and my heart hurts because of it. I remember you two several times a day in prayer for strength and endurance. As some might say, "Done that, been there." There are so many verses in the Bible that are comforting and I know that you are familiar with many of them. Lean on them and trust.
Love you guys,
Margaret Lonquist
Anonymous said…
It's Friday again and I look forward to my morning "Bugg" update.
I gave up asking God " why" a couple of months ago. I might be a little slow in realizing that God can and will and is using this particular way to glorify himself. But, I also know he knows me and is being patient with my slowness because it is obvious to me that your family's journey is a faithful one.
I lean on HIm but also the walk of the great cloud of witnesses and earthly friends to get us through our own weeds these days. I am trying to consistently focus on Jesus face and then running for the joy set before me.
We love you all so much. The memories of our times together are so good.
I particularly remember the SS breakfast under the Wetherwax house where Bob shared his surprise Dr. procedure on your family ski trip. That opened up a whole new door to your wonderful sense of humor.
You all continue to be top on our prayer list and whispered prayers throughout the day.
Mary