Shingles

"Shingles"

May 27, 2011
(dictated from Bob)


Last Thursday night, I was taken by EMS to Morton Plant Hospital with “chest pain.” It was not a heart attack but excessive fluid in the lining of my heart. One or more of my problems qualified me for the intensive care unit. We stayed in ICU until Sunday and then moved to a regular room. Dialysis and additional drugs took care of the chest pain.


A few hours after our ambulance ride, Emily gave birth to our 6th grandchild in Gainesville (which is 2 ½ hours away), so Patra wasn't able to be there. As they wheeled my hospital bed away to dialysis, the nurse told Patra that I’d be away from my room for about 5 hours and to go home and get some sleep since we had been in the ER all night. Patra had a different idea, and she took off for Gainesville figuring she could get there, snuggle a newborn for a bit, and get back in time to be with me. She was so excited to be able to surprise Emily and meet little Anderson. As you can see from the pictures below, he is beautiful.





As we were preparing to leave the hospital late Monday, Patra noticed “blisters” on my stomach and back. We thought it might be a reaction to a medication.


WRONG.


It is a nasty case of SHINGLES.


REALLY?

The doctors felt the shingles could be treated at home so they offered me a choice – stay in isolation in the hospital or go home. It took me about a nanosecond to make that decision.


I’m not allowed to be around the grandchildren for two weeks. That is really hard. I’m going to have to wait even longer to hold Emily's and James' new son, Anderson.

On a different note, I've been wanted to write about something which has been difficult for me. It is very personal and in some ways makes me feel vulnerable. It forces me to look back at a difficult time, but I hope that it may be an encouragement to someone who is also walking through similar ”tall weeds.”


Phillipians 1: 21-24
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.”


At the beginning of his letter to the believers at the church in Phillipi, Paul poses an interesting question: Is it better to die and go to heaven, or to continue to live here on earth? I suspect that anyone who has had a terminal illness has struggled with the same question. As Paul clearly says, it is better by far to be in heaven with Christ than to be on earth. I have also struggled with this question and it has taught me a profound lesson about God answering prayer.


When Patra and I returned from the Mayo Clinic in December 2010, I was clinically depressed. I had been through a bone marrow transplant which failed, chemo-therapy which failed, and a rare and radical surgical procedure presented as my only choice. I would now be on dialysis for the rest of my life. The medical staff at Moffitt recommended that I see a psychiatrist. She told me that she had reviewed my records, that I was clinically depressed, and that I had every right to be.

That was one of the most freeing diagnoses I have ever had, since it explained not only why I felt the way I did, but also because I had every right to feel that way. I didn’t have to feel guilty or ashamed.


For me, being depressed meant that I was walking through the “tall weeds” and someone had turned off the lights. I couldn’t see clearly and I wasn’t thinking clearly. During that period of depression, I would pray every night that God would let me die. I would pray fervently, and I would pray specifically for that particular night. I would wake up in the morning, and before opening my eyes I would try to make the determination whether I was in heaven. Obviously, I was still here on earth.


Imagine a young woman who prays that her boyfriend will give her a ring and that they will marry. In her mind, the wedding ceremony is as beautiful as the Royal Wedding (absent the hats). That prayer goes unanswered, and eventually, she and her boyfriend part ways. She feels that God abandoned her and did not answer her prayers. Would it make a difference to discover that several years later, she met another man who has become her husband and they have a beautiful, wonderful relationship and family? Did God not answer her prayer?


What about the father and husband who prays that God will bring about the job change that he wants. He explains to God all the advantages that the new job will have for himself and for his family. However, he does not get the job, and he wonders if God cares or hears his prayers. But also imagine that within a year or two, the senior executives of the company that he wanted to work for are indicted for fraud. Had he been at the firm, his career might have been so tainted that he would never be able to work in his chosen field again. Did God hear and was God gracious?


For me, the medication that I am on has greatly reduced my depression. And for the last several weeks, it has been my desire to live as long as I can with Patra. I no longer pray at night to die, but pray at night that God will give me another day with my family. So God didn’t ignore my prayer request from those months ago; it’s just that he knew more than I knew about why I felt the way I did, and He knew that my desire would change.


More than anything, we need to pray that God’s perfect will be done. He does not ignore our prayers. He loves us. He is good – all the time.


Dear God,

Thank you for answered prayers although there are times when I can’t clearly see how you are working. Increase my faith so that I can rest in the assurance that you care and that you are good all the time. If there are those who are similarly dealing with depression, I pray that they would receive the professional help that they need.

Thank you for the healthy birth of baby Anderson. He is an answer to prayer and a great blessing to us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, feelings and prayers with us. We, too, have wondered about why God has chosen the ways He has chosen. It is not for us to understand. It is for us that we MUST TRUST HIM and HIS LOVE in all things. That is not the easiest thing to do especially when we think we have things all figured out.
Well, get ready for the muffins and the brownies. I have been baking. We love you and hope to see you and Patra in the next couple of days. I, Linda, have had shingles(did they ever HURT). Now Lex and Linda have both had the vaccine to protect from another attack. We want to spend time with you guys for our short time here.
Again with prayers and praises,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
With a sermon like that who needs t ogo to church on Sunday. I read your blog faithfully. I go to church with James and Emily. You truly are a blessing to me as we walk through this illness with you.

As we gather this weekend to remember those who gave their like for us. I'll remember you as you go through this little hill with shingles. We are all in this walk with you.
Thanks for the encouragement.

love, Odette
Anonymous said…
Mr Bugg- thank you for sharing your heart. I am very moved by your words. You and your family remain in my prayers. Oh, and that baby might be the cutest baby I've ever seen!!! I wish I could get my hands on him!!! Glad to hear they are doing well.
Xo
Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
Hello there I found your blog through looking for info about the same illness that you and my dad share.... one big difference he is not a believer.. my heart is so sad but I know that God is in control and I have to "Trust God and do the next thing". My dad grew up in a Jewish family not in belief but in heritage. Both my grandparents passed away as athiests. My father is surrounded by believers... funny thing is the majority of his friends are Christians. Thank you for this blog .. I have never written or have really been consumed in one before. Daddy doesn't really think he has this disease and is just choosing to ignore it but his heart is the recipient of the protein hence he has no energy, swelling of the legs and lower body, nose bleeds, sleepless nights etc.... Kidney and liver numbers came back fine. My dad would ride his bike 75 to 100 miles a time. Exercise was his God. So I cry out to God to please consider him and have witnessed to him in many ways... an alpha series etc. and he just says that all we talk about is Jesus and God, Jesus and God or God and Jesus. I pray God has mercy on his soul. It made me smile at all the support you have from your church family and friends. I know you feel the blessings and peace from those relationships. We just keep loving on my Dad. Daddy just got the news that he will be a great G-pa for the first time. There is a great chance he will not be around for the birth... and he does not understand the hope he has to be able to see that child in heaven... The great and mighty God has a plan.. I have to just be patient and TRUST Him and pray for my Dad's soul. Thank you again for the blog. Liz
Anonymous said…
Wow what an awsome blog!!It only goes to show that God has been listening to all the prayers going out for you to continue living and giving witness to Him. You have touched so many people that you may never know. We are so happy that Sharon met Adam and led us to such a wonderful family. We will keep praying that you will overcome this next trial and be able to see you grandkids. All our love and prayers are with you and Patra. Hopefully we will see you soon. Jon and Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Again,Bob, Patra & Family: We are the recipients of the powerful message you have shared with us and your honesty and insight has made us all feel closer to you and we know you share from your heart and God has empowered you thru His word to share the journey of your "nasty little disease". We do pray that God's will be done for you and your family always. The nearness we feel to you, our hearts are joined by the sweet spirit of our Jesus and what precious hands He has put around us and takes us for walks that only He knows the end result. Yes, I know I have prayed about one thing or another and feeling a "little disappointed" but I do trust Jesus and know things will work out the way they are supposed to. Congrats on the new little one, I know you can't wait. I had shingles also after my chemo and radiation; but thank goodnes,I knew what it was right away. I should get the vaccine; and thanks for reminded me to quit procrastinating. We are watching our grandson this week-end; I met the kids in Lakeland last night and this was the first chance to get on the blog, after he went down tonight. He may go back tomorrow afternoon unless the kids get busier with the stroller deliveries so we will see. I am a "tired puppy" tonight as we played soccer at Largo Central Park this am and then played on the playground. We brought McDonalds home; he took a l l/2 hour nap; we watched Toy Story 3, chased bubbles and ate pizza and finally went to sleep about 9:30 (started at 8:15) so I will retire soon as well!

Know that we love you and are thinking about your often!

Ted & Carol W
Karen said…
You and Patra and the whole family are always in my prayers... Praying that you find comfortsble and peace with yourself... I cannot imagine how easy it is simply to give up after struggling... Be thinking of you and praying... Always looking forward to my Friday mornings reading your blogs... Want to say i love you and Patra and the family... You all are part of my family. Thanking God for allowing me to meet you... Such a wonderful man!!! Love you and hang in there. :)
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for your wonderful posts. I always find comfort and inspiration in them. This most particularly touched my heart as someone who has battled depression for years (rather successfully, I believe). I am praying for you and your lovely family. Hang in there.

Christy Odom
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bugg (formal I know, but this is how I know you...as Mr. and Mrs. Bugg),
What a powerful and meaningful message about God knowing our desires before we do, and it's such a good reminder to me. Thank you so much for sharing your journey through your blog. Your strength is amazing and an inspiration to me. I don't see your family very often anymore, but please know that I'm thinking of all of you, and you're in my prayers. Do you remember meeting with a young girl working on a Girl Scout badge who wanted to know more about being an attorney? I remember that time with you, and now, as an adult, I wonder how many busy lawyers would take time out of their work day for that - probably not many! I work for Girl Scouts now, and I think of that memory fondly. I'm proud to know your family, and I know you must be so very proud of Jenny, Emily and Adam and all of your beautiful grandchildren. You're a very special family, and you're thought of often. My mom (Marsha) says hello as well.
Love and prayers,
Julie (Halladay) Perrelli