Riley's Here!!

RILEY'S HERE!!!





Riley Robert Bugg came into our world Monday afternoon, March 28. He was 8 lbs 3 oz. and 19 3/4 inches long. He is a very healthy little boy and Avery is a wonderful big sister.





Sharon was a trooper and despite the fact that she had a broken rib did a great job with the delivery.

I haven't yet personally met Riley because he and I started the week in different hospitals on different sides of Tampa Bay. I am at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, and he was born at St. Joseph's Woman's Hospital in Tampa.

Patra was sitting next to me when she got the call to come quickly for the birth and I'm sure she broke some speed limits getting across the bridge. She made it just in time and tells me that there is nothing more wonderful than seeing a baby take it's first breath.

Last Sunday morning Patra and I had a repeat of last week's episode where I developed shortness of breath at 5 am. I couldn't breath and heard the gurgling sound in my chest. Patra quickly called 911. After arriving at the hospital, the chest X ray confirmed fluid on the lungs (pulmonary edema) and I was again taken to the hospital's dialysis unit to remove the fluid.

"Congestive heart failure"
"flash pulmonary edema"
"ventricular fibrillation"
"arrhythmia"


These are just a few of the terms that have been involved in the discussions with my cardiologist this week. Unfortunately my heart has produced some "interesting" findings on the heart monitor. (One does NOT want to be called interesting when it comes to health issues).

A decision was made that April 1 (no April fools jokes, please) I will have dialysis followed by a heart catheterization and heart biopsy. Basically the doctors are trying to determine the cause of the heart issues, whether it is the amyloidosis having spread to my heart or whether it is a structural or blockage problem.

Depending on these test results it may be necessary for a pace maker or other intervention.

These have been difficult discussions with my doctors. Patra and I have shared some tears and fears, but I have been forced to go back to the basics - keeping my focus on the important things that God wants to teach me and still learning to live one day at a time.

I would certainly appreciate your prayers today as it will be a long day and potentially very significant in determining my prognosis.

Dear God,
I confess that I am scared. Patra and I are both scared. I pray that the heart cath will not show that the amyloidosis has gone into my heart. I also ask you for strength that I will be able to go through dialysis, heart cath and heart biopsy.

We celebrate and rejoice over the birth of Riley and are thankful that Adam and Sharon are such good parents. We ask you to continue to bless their family. Be with Emily, James and Austin as they prepare for the birth of Anderson in 6 weeks.

Help me to focus on YOU and to live my life day by day seeking only to do your will

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,

Well, we are praying this very minute that our Lord's hand is upon you and working through the doctors to take care of those heart issues. We would much rather be able to "April Fool" these comments; however, we know that HIS timing is the right timing although it is difficult not to question what is happening.

Those photos are wonderful of Adam and his family. What a beautiful family!! Riley Robert has a wonderful namesake that is for sure. Thanks for sharing with us your lovely family.

We wait anxiously to hear how your day has gone.

You and Patra are dear to us;remember, we continue to pray and praise on your behalf.

We love you.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Riley is beautiful or should I say handsome and Avery is a doll. I know they bring you great joy. It seems like only yesterday that Fred and Mary Kate were that age. My, how time flies! I prayed for you Bob as I read your blog and I also pray for you and Patra several times a day, as I am reminded by the magazine cover on the coffee table. I know everyone is excited about Anderson's arrival as well and I can't wait to see pictures. I wish we lived closer so we could visit but please know we are praying for you all and we love you. Patti, Dennis, Fred and Mary Kate
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: What a blessing baby Riley is - how precious - I love the black & white picture - how precious is our God that made us individual and yet similar - a mighty work!

I pray that your heart will be healed; we know it is spiritually but pray for the miracle physically.

You both are so near and dear to our hearts and know we think about you constantly.

Take care my friends and congrats on the beautiful bundle of joy!

Love
Ted & Carol
Anonymous said…
Continuing to pray every day.

Howard

.
Anonymous said…
Praying for you all today.

Romans 8:18-39 has been on my heart all week long with my sister's situation, and I've read it again this morning with your family in mind as I pray in wordless groans, considering that our present sufferings cannot compare to the glory that will be revealed, and being confident in His love that is unshakeable.
~Susan (Adams) Moffett
Anonymous said…
Bob and Family,
Congratulations on Riley Robert. I agree with your friends, what a wonderful name. Your whole family is beautiful and a wonderful example of how Christians are to walk through life with it's ups and downs.
We are praying as well as our SS class for every step you take and that the doctors and caregivers would have the wisdom and knowledge to know how to proceed with your care.
Father, I pray for peace, comfort and courage for Patra and Bob as they walk through Your will each day.
Thank you for blessing us with your blog.
Jim and Carol (Womack) Cahill
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob, Patra, and Family,
This is your old neighbor Kathy Gasperin Jenkins writing. I am so sorry for the ordeal you are going through.

Bob I have to take a moment to thank you for being the person you are. You may not remember but you helped me on a couple of occations when I really needed help and advice from an attorney. You never charged me. I never forgot that. I hold you up as an example when I strive to do Gods will. You have given me strength just by example. I watched you're parenting and you're stewardship to God. You're faith and endless energy to do his work. You're willingness to put others first. I pray I be given a fraction of your faith.

And Patra the kindest gentlest person I have ever known. I think about you all the time. I enjoy art and painting and now have a kiln. I remember your wonderful talent you never boasted about. You were always so resourceful and creative. You were such a good mother. I bet you are just as good a grandmother.

I have 4 grandsons thanks to Alicia who is a wonderful mother. She is married to a good man and lives in Michigan. Matthew lives with his dad and I as he has Autism. He is a joy in my life. He gives me new ways to view the world every day.

I pray for both of you and your entire family. Thanks so much for being such good people. The things you do really matter to others. All My Love, Kathy
Anonymous said…
Bob,

Your class in the face of adversity is not only awe-inspiring, it has forever changed my relationships with others and has improved my view of the world around us.

Mark Shelton
Alyson George said…
Hi Bob,

I've been thinking about you and praying for you a lot recently. I had no idea what had been happening until I found your blog. I am grateful for the updates (although I was really behind). I will continue to pray for you and your amazing family. If you need anything at all, I now work at Carey & Leisure in Clearwater, please do not hesitate to call! I hope you know that you are an all-star in the legal community, we all miss you and your fabulous mediating skills so much!

Alyson George