Glad to Be Home

Friday, April 8, 2011
by Bob

"Glad to Be Home"

I came home from the hospital on Monday evening April 4 with a diagnosis of congestive heart failure.

My heart cath showed that there are no structural blockages, which unfortunately led my doctors to conclude that the problems with my heart must be caused by amyloidosis. I will not get the official biopsy results until next Tuesday when I meet with my cardiologist. In a small irony we learned that the samples of my heart have been sent to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. We eagerly await these results since they will determine my prognosis and future treatments. My heart is now only functioning at 35%.

One of the hardest parts of the 9 day hospitalization was not being able to meet my new grandson Riley Robert Bugg who was born on March 28. Tuesday morning, Adam, Sharon and Avery brought Riley over to our house. He was asleep when he came in and they placed him in my arms. He stayed asleep the whole time I held him. Even though his big sister Avery is only 17 months old, I had forgotten how small newborns are. I kept looking and feeling his hands and feet. He is perfect!








It is REALLY good to be out of the hospital and hopefully I will stay out for a little while. Patra and I counted up that over the past 2 years, I have been hospitalized over 100 days in 5 different hospitals.

I have been trying to catch up on my sleep. It is difficult to rest at the hospital because they wake you up at 4 AM for blood, at 5 AM for vital signs and at 6 AM for breakfast (on days I had dialysis). I also had 5 different roommates come and go during my long stay, and most of those came into the room from the ER after midnight.

The doctors have changed a number of my medications. I have learned how to take 5-6 pills at the same time which is not bad for a guy who only took one multivitamin before this "nasty little disease".

When I used to teach Bible Study, there were occasions where it was difficult to understand the teachings of scripture. Sometimes I would comment to my class that when I got to heaven, I would ask Jesus to explain certain scriptures to me. My thoughts in that regard have changed. My questions now seem so trivial.

When I get to heaven, I want to spend the equivalent of the first 5000 years just sitting at the feet of Jesus. I want to hear what He has to say, what He thinks is important and what I need to know. Can you imagine what it will be like to be in the presence of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? I want to look at Jesus the same way I looked at Riley this week... with joy and anticipation. HE is perfect!!!!

Patra and I continue to be humbled and grateful to those of you who keep up with our journey and support us with your prayers and encouragement. We have had a number of close friends who are recently walking through their own tall weeds.

Father,
Thank you for all the blessings that you give to us. It was such a joy to hold Riley and I look forward to holding baby Anderson when he is born in 5 weeks. I do pray that the doctors are wrong and that the biopsy will not show that the amyloidosis has invaded my heart. But regardless of the outcome of the biopsy, I know that You are in control and I pray that You will guide and direct my doctors in my further care and treatment.


Until next Friday, God willing
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Again, Bob, we are so blessed and touched by your blog and your honesty about what is going on.

You are right in Jesus being perfect and the new born baby; there is just nothing more special.

We pray your condition is only "congestive heart failure". My Dad has had that for 25 + years so that can be controlled. I am sure your ejection fraction is down as well - my was and now I am "normal?" again!

Still praying for your entire family; what a joy to meet the precious new Buggs; loved the pictures.

We pray also that the amyloidosis had not affected your heart. We know your heart; the spiritual one, not the physical one and we know it is perfect!

Take care my friends

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob,

I am a friend of Jenny's, and I have been reading your blog every week since you started it. Every Friday, I think about you during my drive home and wonder what your most recent post will say. I have learned so much from you; we are so blessed to be sharing your journey and insight.

I was so sorry to hear in your last two posts of the fear, pain, and discomfort you experienced not just once (which would have been enough!), but twice. I hoped today to read that you didn't have that experience again.

I have been and will continue to pray for you and your precious family. I am thrilled that you were able to hold your newest grandson this week! How wonderful for you both.

Blessings and prayers,
Janet
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
We finally got to a computer again and first thing tuned in to your weekly chat with us. We are sitting here in beautiful High Point, NC, visiting with Linda's cousin, a little cousin reunion today. We are very excited about this event.
Bob, we loved seeing the photos of little Riley Robert Bugg---another precious Bugg into this world. Now, to see little Anderson. If we remember correctly, little Anderson may be here now.
Bob, we are continuing to pray and praise on your behalf. We love you and Patra much and keep you in our hearts.
Just know that we are with you no matter where we are physically.
Looking forward to hearing again on Friday.
Lex and Linda
So glad you are home and able to rest. Rest and food are not the hospitals strongest points!Love the pictures of the new grand baby!