Cupcakes and Deep Conversations

Friday, April 22nd

This week's blog post is written by Emily (Bob's Daughter). Since we all take turns writing, here is a picture of me holding my new nephew, Riley! I am expecting another boy, Anderson, in just a few short weeks!!!

DSCN6135
Riley and Emily


The entire Bugg family would like to thank you again for all of your love and support during these days. While many of you only know my mom and dad, your support is felt throughout our entire family. We are all often left speechless at your generosity to us all. This past weekend, the family gathered at mom and dad's house to celebrate the birthdays of Austin (turning five) and Andrew (turning six). When a family friend (Linda) heard that we were having a birthday party, she volunteered to take care of the cupcakes! We immediately accepted her invitation and on Saturday morning the most beautiful homemade cupcakes arrived at our door. We had trays and trays of these delicious cupcakes!!!

DSCN6122

DSCN6168
Avery enjoying the cupcakes!


Dad is feeling pretty well this week. He was able to have surgery on Thursday to remove his catheter. His fistula (in his arm) is working so well for dialysis that the doctors were able to remove the catheter from his chest.

DSCN6133
Grandpa with the birthday boys (Austin and Andrew)

DSCN6134
Grandma and Grandpa with all five of their grandchildren!


My dad specifically asked me to update the blog this week in order to share a story about my son, Austin (age 4).

As Austin and I drove home from school last week, I asked him about his day. We talked briefly about his friends, the playground, the sand in his shoes, and the spring program scheduled for that evening.

After some quiet moments, Austin asked me a question. "Mom." He said, "What does it feel like to die?"

I paused.

We talk openly about life with Austin. We talk openly about death. We pray nightly for his grandpa and his fight against amyloidosis. So, it was not completely out of the blue for Austin to ask me about death. His question was different this time, however. He didn't want to know more about heaven. He was specific.

"What does it feel like to die?"

"I don't know, Austin." I began. "I don't know what it feels like to die... I think that it probably hurts for just a second and then you don't feel any more pain. I believe in heaven, Austin. So, even if death hurts for just a moment, you will never feel pain again and you will be so happy."

Austin sat quietly in the backseat for a long time.

I wondered if I had said too much.

I wondered if I should have eliminated the word pain from my explanation.

I wondered why he was asking me such a specific question.


"Mom, I don't think death is like that." He began slowly.

"I think that death is more like jumping off a diving board...

You are so scared...

and you don't want to do it...

but once it's over, then you are just so happy,

and you realize that you had nothing to be scared of in the first place."



and then we both just rode in silence.



"What do you think, mom?" Austin asked.

"Do you think that's what it feels like to die?"


I don't know sweet boy, but I do know what it feels like to receive the wisdom of God through my four-year-old son...

and I also know that because of this week...
because of Easter...
because we believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead
death has lost its sting.

From our family to yours, we wish you a wonderful Easter celebrating LIFE!



I Corinthians 15:55 "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

"Christ the Lord is Risen Today"
written by Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
1. Christ the Lord is risen today, Alleluia!
Earth and heaven in chorus say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth reply, Alleluia!

2. Love's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!
Death in vain forbids him rise, Alleluia!
Christ has opened paradise, Alleluia!

3. Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once he died our souls to save, Alleluia!
Where's thy victory, boasting grave? Alleluia!

4. Soar we now where Christ has led, Alleluia!
Following our exalted Head, Alleluia!
Made like him, like him we rise, Alleluia!
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!

5. Hail the Lord of earth and heaven, Alleluia!
Praise to thee by both be given, Alleluia!
Thee we greet triumphant now, Alleluia!
Hail the Resurrection, thou, Alleluia!

6. King of glory, soul of bliss, Alleluia!
Everlasting life is this, Alleluia!
Thee to know, thy power to prove, Alleluia!
Thus to sing, and thus to love, Alleluia!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra & family:
Again we have learned a valuable lesson from your post and thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures and your girlfriend is certainly talented. The joy your family shares with each other and the rest of us is so representative of your faith. The testimonies in all your lives are unmatched and that is why we all feel so close and part of your physical family and spiritual family. When you hurt, we hurt. When you praise the Lord, we praise the Lord. And, yes, out of the mouths of our little ones we can learn so much. The Lord uses these innocent souls ever so special. As I sit hear trying to type thru the tears, we again have been so blessed to be part of your special family. You are raising your children in the Lord so they don't have to be "scared" of what may occur in the future. And, yes, you have taken the sting out of death and seems your son has insight that we couldn't explain.

God bless you all and have a very special Easter as we celebrate the resurrection of our dear Lord!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Beautiful post Emily. Yes, we can learn so much from those little minds. I'm lucky that I get to experience that every day with my grandson Aidan.
Thanks for sharing the pics of the BD celebration.Grandma and Grandpa
look great and so happy to be surrounded by all those smiling little faces.Glad to hearthis was such a good week for you Bobby.
We send our love and prayers at this special season to all of you. Wishing you a blessed Easter and more good weeks like this one.
ps -- I want one of those cupcakes !!
~~ Love you all, Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Emily,
Thanks for the beautiful update and the wonderful encouragement that you give us.
The pictures are truly sweet; we are glad that you have such a wonderful friend that bakes those beautiful cupcakes. Thanks for sharing the party with us. Everyone looks fine.
We continue to pray and praise on your family's behalf.
Enjoy remembering Christ's sacrifice for us all. Our hope is in the fact that HE IS OUR RISEN SAVIOR!! Thanks for saying it so well.
Emily, we will be praying as you deliver that new grandson, Anderson.
Bob and Patra, we will see you soon.
Love,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
We love you all so much! What a beautiful family you have. Thank you for sharing your lives with us. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Thank you for sharing your faith with us. Thank you for sharing your praise with us. I sang every line as if I were standing there with you. Hail to the King of Kings! Thank you Austin. We needed that! God is good - ALL THE TIME. Happy Easter with love! Randy & Carol
Anonymous said…
Thank you Emily for posting. We will be praying for these last days of your pregnancy. I must say you look wonderful. Always in prayer for all of you. Your mom and dad certainly can brag about beautiful grandchildren. I know all of you are the joy of their lives.
Mary C.
Anonymous said…
Wonderful pictures! Bob and I just finished reading "Heaven is for Real" where another three/four year old shares the joy of heaven and in just such a matter of fact way. Leave it to a loving God to give the little ones such insight!
Wishing you a blessed Easter,
Bob and Sue B.
Anonymous said…
Bob,

Early this morning I thought about two Bible verses that are meaningful to me. I then thought about you and your ministry of encouragement for those of us who follow your blog. The first verse comes at the end of Colossians. Paul writes, "Tell Archippus: 'See to it that you complete the work you have received in the Lord.' " (It is Colossians 4:17, NIV Bible). The second verse comes at the end of Revelation. Actually, it is only a portion of a verse. It is from Revelation 22:3. It says, "His servants will serve Him." The full verse says, "No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and His servants will serve Him." Those two verses (Colossians 4:17 and Revelation 22:3) came to my mind in regard to your blog. By sharing your faith with us, you are completing (on earth) a "work that you have received in the Lord." And, if I interpret Revelation 22:3 correctly, your "work" of service to Him will continue, even in Heaven. We serve Him here, and we serve Him in Heaven. What a blessing.

As always, my daily prayers continue for you.

Howard
.
I am currently reading Heaven Is For Real written by the Wesleyan pastor who's 3 year old almost died of a ruptured appendix and botched medical intervention. Austin's comment brings me back to this book and the perfect, pure faith of children. No one knew this better than Jesus who encouraged us to be like little children. He meant it didn't He?
Anonymous said…
Wow! How amazing for a four-year-old to come up with an explanation like that. You are ALL amazing. What a testimony! May you all have a blessed Easter! Thinking of and praying for you, Bob and Patra, and all the family,

Sherrie and Wayne Patterson