"So much better"

"So much better"
(Friday, March 18, 2011)

(This is Bob – it is Wednesday, March 16. Tomorrow I will have the surgery to finalize my fistula so I’ve asked Jenny to finish the blog at the end with a report on the surgery.)

What a difference a week makes!

Patra’s birthday is Sunday and I told her my present was going to be improvement in my physical health. She has given me strict instructions not to talk about her or put anything sappy in the blog. So I won’t talk about her other than to say she is truly the best and I am hopeful she likes her birthday present.

I’m reluctant to use the word miraculous but truly God has answered many prayers recently. I am feeling much better. My doctors and nurses at dialysis have all commented lately about how well I am doing and that just weeks ago I was a “sick puppy.”

In February I was having such difficulty that the doctor did a direct admit from dialysis to Morton Plant Hospital where I spent 5 days. Just days ago, I was unable to get out of bed. I felt like a prisoner – someone had to help me get out of bed. I am now able to get out of bed by myself. That is an answer to prayer.

Just days ago, I could barely walk from my bed to the couch in the living room. Now, I walk around the house several times between the bedroom and the living room. My walker probably needs an oil change!

I have had no dizziness or passing out since the surgery at Morton Plant in February to ablate the right kidney.

I wake up every morning thinking about goals I would like to accomplish. Although I still fatigue easily and have not been able to accomplish most of my goals, just having goals is an answer to prayer.

My appetite is very good. Until recently, there were times I was unable to eat and times I could not tolerate someone bringing food into my room. My weight plummeted into the 130s. Before I got sick I weighed about 205. Patra prepares incredible meals and I am now asking for “seconds” after most meals.

I’m not cured and I know that there are still issues to be managed. My blood pressure is too high and the doctors have increased my BP medicine to try and get that under control. I’m still having significant “stomach issues” which makes it very difficult to get through the 4 hour dialysis treatments. I am still struggling with being mentally confused and fuzzy in my thinking.
What does it all mean? I believe it means that your prayers on my behalf are being answered so I beseech you – please don’t stop praying now. In fact, please pray even harder now. I believe God has heard our prayers and I am excited to see where He will lead.



(pictured above with Austin & Andrew this past week!)


(and with Emily & Sharon and his newest grandsons!)

Dear God – thank you for working in my life. I am so thankful for prayer partners who have lifted me before Your throne. If it is Your will, I pray that I will continue to improve and grow stronger. You deserve all the praise. May I be faithful to follow wherever You lead.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Surgery update (from Jenny):
Dad's surgery went well on Thursday! Again, he was blessed with an amazing staff of caring doctors and nurses. For instance, as he arrived at the surgery center Thursday morning, he and my mom were greeted by Kim, the nurse who had cared for him during his first fistula surgery. She remembered his affection for the heated paper gowns and made sure to greet my parents warmly (WITH a heated gown ready to go for him!).

The surgeon believes the procedure (to clamp of a fistula arteriovenous branch) was a success. It was a bit more involved than they anticipated; going in, they expected to clamp off one branch of the fistula in order to make it more effective, but they had to clamp off three branches once they got in there.

The surgeon expects that Dad will be able to use this fistula to begin receiving his dialysis treatments within the next few weeks. This is great news, as his current catheter method (inserted in his chest) makes him susceptible to infections and complications. We'll continue to keep you posted!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and family: Praise the Lord! He hears our prayers and our hearts are lifting at the continued progress of your strength and so glad the fistula surgery went well also. You and Patra are still teaching us so much and your testimony is still being displayed to all those around you, whether it be family, friend, hospital personnel, etc. The gospel is being spread to those you don't know and we thank you for that. Your heartfelt comments lift us each week. Bless you and your entire family (love the pictures) Take care my friends, Patra, enjoy your birthday!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and to all your precious family,

You look wonderful! And your daughters do too. We're so pleased that it pleases the Lord to keep you through all your surgeries. We know some days are more difficult than others, but those that aren't surely make up for all the rest. You are blessed to be a blessing and we continue to pray for you and Patra and your "growing" family.

Annette and Chuck
Tom and Margie Dunlap said…
Bob, we rejoice with you that you are feeling better! We will certainly continue to pray. Tell Patra "Happy Birthday" for us.
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob, Patra & family,
I had been reading in the book of Nehemiah just before clicking onto your blog. With tears of joy, this verse comes to mind:
"...for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow~~~
Bob, I can still hear you say in front of our Bible Study Class: "God is good all the time"!

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of you & your dear daughters and their additional blessings. Psalms 127 & 128

In Christ's love & continued
prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Quarles
Anonymous said…
LOVE the pics!! What beautiful mommies and little boys. We just got to spend an evening with Andrew and he is such a delight. Lots of fun. Now you just need a pic with those precious granddaughters!!! Glad to hear you are feeling better!! Xo- Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
PRAISING God with you all! Such wonderful news just brightens my day!

Much Love,
Sheri Freedman
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,

I was so glad to hear that you are doing better. Please know that I think about you so very often and pray for better days ahead for you!!!!

You will continue to be in my heart and prayers

Lauren Calta
Anonymous said…
Dear Ones....what a journey...what an awesome God we serve. Bob, your post about your beautiful new grandchild and just the marvel of holding that tiny life in your arms...Wow. Our prayer is that you and Patra will feel those wonderful arms of or dear Shepherd as He continues holding you daily, even minute by minute. With love and continued grateful hearts for your life and ministry through these mighty deep and tall grasses...Ritchie and Sheldon Hale