Good (?) Company

"Good (?) Company"
March 4, 2011

Dictated by Bob to Patra

"Muammar Gaddafi, Hosni Mubarak, and Charlie Sheen... What do these men have in common with Bob Bugg? Well... my mind has not been completely fizzled like Charlie's or Gaddafi's but I do feel like I would need to sit closer to Lindsey Lohan if we were all in a therapy session together.

I'm not to the point of being totally crazy... but I do feel like this disease is beginning to rob my ability to make decisions. I am definitely feeling more "fuzzy". We don't know if the fuzzyness is due to the disease, the procedures and recent surgery I've had, the medications I am taking or a combination of all of them.

I haven't been able to write a post in weeks. When I started this blog, it was my objective that I always be honest and transparent. It appears that this "nasty little disease" has decided to bite me not only on the physical level but also on the mental level.

I have not totally lost it, but sometimes I struggle to find it. I have difficulty reading and comprehending... what I miss most is my daily Bible reading, but I AM still able to recall memory verses from long ago and stay in God's word.

Several weeks ago I told Patra that I didn't think I'd be able to go back to work. I had always thought that would be the hardest decision to make because I loved my job... but I finally saw the light and God has allowed me to accept the fact that I probably will not work again. He graciously took away the trauma of that decision and I am accepting it for the reality that it is.

As this disease progresses, it is my prayer that I will be faithful and not allow my personality to change. My own father had dementia, but when he died, he was one of the sweetest men that there was... "


(from Jenny)
I'm so grateful this week that my dad was able to capture his thoughts to share with everyone! I admire his strength and courage, as I know some of this was probably not easy for him to share. And once again, I admire the example he sets each day by prioritizing his faith, family and friends even in these arduous days.

Perhaps next week, he'll be able to share a little bit more on the blog. And we'll keep praying that he feels less and less like he's supposed to be sitting next to Charlie or Lindsey. But we'll take it slow... for instance, I don't think it's time for him to open a Twitter account or anything!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra & Family: Thank you again for being such wonderful teachers and speaking from the heart. I can't imagine you sharing the same therapy sessions as Charlie or Lindsay but they certainly would benefits from being in sessions with you. You would change their lives I don't doubt it for a minute. The testimony that continues to flow from you is amazing. Yes, it is scary when you feel you have lost a lot of your capabilities. A lot of it is probably from the anesthesia; it robs you each time you go under. The dramatic things your body has endured over this last year would make anybody lose some brain cells for sure and I know for a fact that chemo and anesthesia affect you for a long time and you, with the transplant as well will take a long time to recover. I still feel like I am not 100% from my experience, although I do attribute a lot of it now to age and stress. Again, your blog has been such a blessing and we thank you for sharing your ups, your downs, your fears and mostly for your continued faith in the God that created us and your testimony speaks volumes.

Bless you my friends,
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,
Thanks for sharing your heart with us. You are one of the strongest men we know. Bob, for you to have endured so much and still be able to do the things that you can do is a miracle. Most people's bodies would have given up a long time ago. You are a SUPER trooper.
You are also a SUPER TROOPER for our Jesus. You show your love for HIM every single minute of every single day. We are reminded of you as we read Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a strength in the day of trouble; He knows those who take refuge in Him.
We continue to love and pray and praise for you and Patra.
Lex and Linda
PS Don't bother getting plane tickets to California or the Middle East; the sessions wouldn't be worth it.
Anonymous said…
We are praying for you and your sweet family. Your granddaughters are about the cutest things I've ever seen!! Snuggling with them might be the best medicine around. I recommend luring meghan with a fistfull of pretzels or cookies. I'm pretty certain after visiting with her today, that as long as you can keep her supplied with full fists of treats she will snuggle with you forever. And THAT sounds like something fabulous that you don't have to be thinking too clearly to enjoy!!
Love, Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
My prayers continue to be with you on a daily basis.

Howard B.
Anonymous said…
Bob:

Because your awe inspiring blog makes us all better servants, your work is far from done.

It is apparent the apple has not fallen far from the tree.

With faith, hope, affection and respect, I wish you and yours everlasting joy.

Mark Shelton
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob and Patra,

Whenever I need to be encouraged, I go to your blog. There's always a word, a thought in it that lifts my heart. You have a very dear and special family and it's always a treat to take a peek into their hearts whenever you have been unable to write.

Your testimony is what I admire most and hope to emulate when the Lord sends me a trial thst seems insumountable. Every day I'm reminded of His grace and how he uses our testimony for the benefit of others. Yours has been used to benefit me. Thank you so, so much.

Annette D.