Valentine's Wishes

"Valentine's Wishes"

(from Jenny)

Bob: "I wish I could get you a million diamonds for Valentine's Day."

Patra: "Aw, that's sweet. But I don't want diamonds." (then to herself: I just want you to get well...)

Bob: "I wish I could get you a million grandchildren for Valentine's Day."

Patra: "NOW you're talking!!"

And with two due dates fast-approaching, it looks like my dad's Valentine's wish isn't too far off the mark. As the spring approaches, we are excitedly anticipating the arrival of two little boys. Adam & Sharon are due at the beginning of April, and Emily & James will welcome their little guy at the end of May. That will be six grandchildren!


My dad reminded me yesterday that he was sitting in his nephrologist's office for his very first appointment when our little girl, Megan, was born. That was the "beginning", so to speak, of his fight against this nasty little disease. It's incredible to imagine that, despite the difficulties over the past 18 months, God will have blessed our family with FOUR new little lives in that same time period. He is SO good!




(A recent picture of the girls, Megan & Avery)


(A not-so-recent picture of the "big" boys, as we supposed they'll be referred to with two little boys coming soon!. These two never stop long enough anymore for us to capture their adventures!)


Despite the countless hours my parents have spent at various doctors, hospitals, and dialysis centers, I hadn't been to many of my dad's usual "hangouts" myself. On Thursday of this week, though, I dropped something off at his kidney doctor's office while running errands around town. I walked in and waited to speak with the receptionist while she cheerfully attended to about 65 tasks swirling around her. But in the midst of her multi-tasking, she kept looking up and checking in with me. "Be with you in a sec!" "You're next!" "I just need to do one quick thing and then I'll be with you!"

Then, she put a phone call on hold and looked directly at me. "I know who you are, by the way! You don't even have to tell me. You look just like your mom!"

I was stunned yet grateful. This woman probably handles about a thousand things and a hundred patients in the course of a day. But when she finally was able to greet me, she jumped out of her chair, ran around the reception area, flung open the door and gave me a hug. She expressed her affection for my parents then took the information I'd brought her and wished me a great day.

I left there so energized. I always love it when I'm recognized as my parents' kid! Even in my mid-thirties, I find that it gives me a sense of security to be identified as part of the "Bugg" family. And I know that my brother and sister would whole-heartedly agree.

I also left that doctor's office realizing anew that a cheerful heart truly is good medicine. I'm so grateful that the Lord has given my parents an amazing greeting each and every time they walk into the nephrologist's office through that young lady!

And speaking of nephrologists (kidney doctors)... my parents have spent quite a bit of time at their office this past week.

On Monday, my dad had an appointment in the morning, followed by dialysis in the afternoon. Because of his complications (his kidneys are producing urine again), he is losing significant fluids, proteins, etc. This takes a major physical toll on his body. He passed out after the doctor appointment. But the dialysis center that afternoon took great care to not only filter his blood but provide much-needed fluid replacements. They do an incredible job finding the balance between too much fluid, too little fluid, and all the other factors they must consider in my dad's unique situation.

Tuesday was dad's ultrasound and a renal scan. These tests were supposed to reveal what was happening inside to cause the urine production. While we hoped for answers, all we got instead was more confusion heaped on top of his already-complicated case. The doctors used words like "Impossible", "Baffled", and said that the scans didn't match the patient. He kidneys appear to still be shut down, yet he continues to lose fluids, proteins. A separate analysis of the fluids he's losing shows that they are not filtering out any of the toxins that kidneys are supposed to filter. His loss of fluids is so great that he's also lost 14 pounds since this complication arose on January 24. The doctors need to talk with his doctors at the Mayo Clinic. They also need to make a decision about what to do next (which will almost certainly include another surgery).

We ask for your prayers this week, especially for the doctors to be clear and wise about how to proceed.

Although his case is so very challenging, my dad is still hopeful and still wants to fight!! I'm grateful that his hope is placed in Jesus (who is never baffled or confused; with whom NOTHING is impossible!!)

We once again thank you, especially on this Valentine's weekend, for your love, prayers and support! You constantly remind us that you're "fighting" with us.
Thank you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks again Jenny for the update. Yes, we are proud you are part of the wonderful Bugg family and it feels good to be part of the wonderful family, the examples you set, the spirit of faith that your family continues to share with the world. The testimonies that your family has shared with those around you, the doctors, the office staff, other patients; you just don't know how many you have touched and God is using you all in a very special ministry. Continue to be strong and there for each other. Know your circle of friends admiring the strength of your family is growing daily. God has blessed so many that you would not have been in touch with otherwise. Of course, our prayers is that the miracles will happen in this "nasty little disease" and that the baffling will soon be victory in healing.
Take care my friends and know we are thinking about your entire family as the love is shared this Valentine's Day!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
I am always encouraged by reading the blog...thank you for all taking turns keeping it updated. Thank you for sharing how you see God's hand each week....
Love you all!
Merrie
Anonymous said…
Mr Bugg,
I am so sorry you are feeling badly and going through all of this. I am praying for you. Your daughter Jenny is such a good friend to me. I admire her and love her dearly. She would have a fit and tell me I am being ridiculous for saying so, but she is the real Proverbs 31 woman. I doubt you know the full extent of how much she does tirelessly for others, all the time. She is the hands and feet of Jesus to so many. I am blessed by her friendship and count her as one of my good and perfect gifts. Thanks for raising such a cool person and good friend. You and Patra can be very proud of the job you have done as parents. xo
Love, Jennifer N
Anonymous said…
Hello Buggs,
Again, Friday slipped by without my realizing it was blog day. I must really be slipping.
Jenny, you do such an incredible job of updating us on your Dad's progress. Thanks again for that.
Your communication skills continue to amaze us as we read your posts.
Lex and I continue to keep the Buggs at the top of our prayer list and to pray and praise for you all.
Those sweet children are the love of your parents' life, and to have two more little boys added to the group truly gives Bob and Patra a huge ray of sunshine.
Knowing that the family is nestled in the arms of our God gives us all peace.
We love you all.
Lex and Linda
MIgirls said…
Thanks again for the weekly blog posting! All of you are in our prayers. I loved the comment you made in this one about being known as one of your parents children...I feel the same way! What a huge blessing! Lifting you all up to our Heavenly Father now!
Blessings,
Lisa Adams Thomas (for all of us)