Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

"Two Out of Three Ain't Bad"
(from Jenny)

Last week, I left you with my parents' three goals for this week:

Sitting, Standing and Blog-Writing

Two out of three ain't bad. Since recovering from the surgery he had last week, my dad is able to sit up again without fainting. And although he can't stand up in his own strength, once he's helped up, he's able to use a walker (and my mom) to walk from the couch to the bed or wheelchair.

Dad was released from the hospital last Saturday and has spent this week recovering and trying to regain some strength. It's slow-going. While it appears the surgery was a success (the kidneys seem to have been shut down), he is incredibly weak and a bit "fuzzy" these days. The doctors seem to think he'll become more clear-headed as the residual effects of the hospital stay and anesthesia wear off.

The doctors and nurses continue to provide amazing care and support for our family. One of my dad's kidney doctors joked with my parents this week that they owed him a bottle of Grecian formula (for all the gray hair my dad's case has caused him). My parents were once again reminded that "interesting" and "unusual" are NOT good adjectives you want doctors to use when describing your medical case. But the medical teams continue to work hard on his behalf. Even the pharmacists have been supportive and encouraging, now greeting my mom by name immediately when she pulls up to the window!

Mom got to attend Grandparents Day at Andrew's school on Thursday. It was a real treat. Both Adam and I took turns staying at the house with Dad so she could enjoy the special music program and festivities the kids worked hard to plan. She came home from Grandparents Day with a new picture for the refrigerator and a "full tank" in her heart (as she put it!).

The weather is beautiful here. Although my dad doesn't get to spend much time outside, he appreciates the new warm breezes and the ample sun pouring in through the windows these days.

Next week, my dad has an appointment at Moffitt. It's been a while since they've been there, and they're looking forward to seeing the medical team there (who've also been so incredibly wonderful to my parents through this journey).

As I ask my mom each week for the information she'd like included on our weekly post, she always asks me to thank everyone for your prayers and encouragement. They are so grateful and feel so loved.

Thank you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Again, Jenny, thanks for your post. We look so forward to Friday mornings to hear the miracles that have occurred during the last week on your father's journey with this "nasty little disease". We enjoy hearing words like "rare" or "unusual" for flowers or a antique but not with our medical conditions, for sure. But the "rare" or "unusual" in your father's case is the testimony that he has shown to everyone involved in his case, even, as you say, the pharmacist and all the doctors, nurses, therapists. The lives that God has allowed your father to touch is real and his faith has shown thru and we may never know the magnitude of that testimony and the hearts that have been touched. We continue to ask God to use Bob as he heals and for the miracle of healing. I am glad your Mom got to see Andrews school and yes, our hearts are filled each time we see the little ones for sure. I am sorry your Dad did not get to go but the joy that Patra brought home was shared with him. The beautiful weather we are experiencing right now is wonderful and so glad the light and the warmth provides comfort for your Dad. Take care my friends and know you all are continually in our thoughts and prayers.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Sweet friends, again we see God's hand in your journey. We are so thankful for the fact that the surgery restored your ability, Bob, to sit without fainting and that you can now walk again. Bob, we are anxious to see the miracles that God has for you this week.
Patra, truly Andrew must have felt so happy that you attended Grandparents Day. Now, your refrigerator has more "class".
We continue to pray and praise on your behalf.
Love,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
I am glad things are starting to look up once again. I will continue to pray for more strength for your dad.

Christine Taylor
Anonymous said…
I continue to pray for you all.
Susan (Adams) Moffett
Anonymous said…
You continue to encourage us through your words -sharing your family's walk through this desert time in your lives. Shared with the ladies in my Life Group last week that if we are in a "desert time" we will continue to walk through it until we get to the other side so we need to choose to walk worthy....you all are definetly walking worthy and giving Him glory each step of the way (even on your hard days). Giving a true account of who He and the joy, peace and trust you have in Him. You choose to rejoice IN the Lord as your strenght each day and it is so evident to those your lives have come in contact with over these many months.
Praying continually.....
Love,
Merrie
Anonymous said…
I woke up early today and you two were on my heart. Prayed that you will be strengthened and have courage and enjoy some healing this week.
Sending hugs,
Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Bob, Although , I have been silently following your journey, you have continued to be in my families daily prayers since the date I witnessed the delivery of your initial medical challenge. I am honored and Blessed to witness your faith and the strength of your Family. Fight the good fight my friend and rest assured you are serving our Saviour in your walk towards your recovery. Chuck Sullivan