An Eventful Week

"An Eventful Week"
(from Jenny)

A lot has transpired since the last "Friday Update". I'll try to get you up to speed!

By Monday of this past week, my dad's continued fluid/protein losses from the kidneys began to cause him to pass out from dehydration. Even the simple act of getting from the bed to the wheelchair caused him to lose consciousness.

So, after dialysis treatments on Monday, the doctors sent him straight to the hospital. Monday evening and Tuesday were full of tests. CT scans, nuclear scans, etc.

On Wednesday, Dad received his dialysis treatments at the hospital. After that was completed, they informed my parents that they were prepping him for surgery. The tests had at least come back with enough information for them to diagnosis which kidney was producing urine again. And their goal was to ablate (or shut down) that kidney chemically this time.

So, on Wednesday afternoon, they completed the procedure of chemically shutting down his kidney. The surgeon informed my parents that Dad would probably be in a good amount of pain and would likely run a fever as he recovered and the kidney "died", so to speak.

We are so pleased to report, though, that over the past 2 days, Dad has had very little pain. And NO fever! He suffered some nausea on Thursday morning, but by Thursday night he was sitting up, eating, and even making jokes! What a turnaround! We are very excited!

The plan is that he'll receive dialysis at the hospital again today (Friday) and then hopefully be sent home sometime this weekend.

This hospital stay has been full of encouraging blessings... two of which I wanted to share with you all.

On Wednesday morning, as my dad was wheeled into dialysis, my mom began speaking to one of the dialysis nurses. They were discussing Dad's unusual circumstances, and my mom was filling her in on the propensity he had for becoming dehydrated. She asked the nurse to take special precautions with him. And this nurse looked over at my mom with a smile and said, "Your husband has been on my church's prayer list. I'll take good care of him." She was a complete stranger to us, but she knew my dad's name. Knew it and had prayed for him!

Later that same afternoon, my dad's OR nurse turned out to be one of my dear friends from church. She and her husband (who is a nephrology nurse himself) have been amazing resources for our family for the past year. The couple has shared insights, provided educational materials, called to check on, and have prayed for my dad countless times although they'd never met him. When she began asking my mom questions about the patient going into surgery, she just tilted her head to the side and said, "This sounds so familiar..." It didn't take long to put it all together.

I am reminded all the time (but especially this week) that God cares about even the smallest details of our lives. The One who spins planets in orbit and knows exactly how many grains of sand just washed up on the beach also oversees nursing schedules at a hospital in downtown Clearwater.

Isn't He good!

My sister, Emily, came into town on Thursday to help out as my dad transitions back home. It's always such a boost for us to have her here. She is definitely the "caregiver" personality in the family. I have no doubt she's busily cleaning and filling up the refrigerator in preparation for Dad's return to the house. Maybe the extra bit of TLC for both my parents will help with their new goals for this week:

Sitting, Standing, and Blog-Writing!
We'll let you know next Friday how it goes!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jenny: Thanks again for the update and for the perspective of how great our God is! The power of prayer is awesome and it was proven this week as you shared about the nurses at the hospital. Pay it forward comes to mind and that is what the Christian community has in turning our concerns into prayer lists and sharing with other friends, who pass it forward and, thus, the miracles occur. We continue to uplift your family and share with you in this journey of this "nasty little disease". Morton Plant is a good hospital as it very familiar to me; I still see my oncologist at the Powell Cancer Center and actually see him again March 2nd for my 12 year check up. It was actually 12 years yesterday that I had my surgery and was considered cancer free. Praise the Lord.
Take care all!

Carol W
Anonymous said…
Jenny, thanks so much for your update. It thrills our hearts to hear of this week's accomplishments. We are thanking God with you for placing those caregivers in your Dad's path at the hospital.
God does work even in the smallest details, and your family's journey is a testamnent to that fact.
We continue to pray and stay open for that miracle that we all know God can perform.
Praying and loving,
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Soooo glad to hear the surgery went well AND that Bob has not had the symptoms they warned you about. Praise God for big and small steps successfully taken.
Anonymous said…
Jenny,
I praise God for His care and provisions for us even before we ask of Him. I was born and raised in Miami and went to church and school with your dad from preschool on through high school. Your dad and mom were always a blessing to others in high school, well liked, and a good testimony for the Lord. Our paths went in different directions after high school but I'm glad old friends brought us back together through this blog so we can pray for all of you. What a blessing it is to pray for you all.
Carol Womack Cahill, Garland, Texas