Post-Birthday Wrap Up

(Friday, January 21, 2011) "Post-Birthday Wrap Up"

I really enjoyed my birthday this year. I wasn’t doing well Thursday after dialysis (which was my actual birthday), so we reassembled on Sunday afternoon to celebrate as a family. I was much better then, and was able to enjoy the kids and grandkids. It was a great week of celebration, as I received so many cards, emails, visits and well-wishes from friends wishing me a great day. It was, so THANK YOU!!

As the week started off, I was feeling pretty good. Patra and I were even able to attend church on Sunday! What a great way to start off my week!

On Monday, I began my treatments at a new dialysis center. I am thankful for the nurses and care at the previous center and am really looking forward to beginning my treatments in this new location on a new weekly schedule (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays now).

Also this week, we met with the vascular surgeon who will implant the fistula in my arm on Tuesday, January 25. This is day surgery so I should go in Tuesday morning and be released that afternoon. Both Patra and I will be grateful to have this part of my treatment plan checked off the list. Post-surgery, it will take about 3 months before the fistula can be used to administer my dialysis treatments, so it was important to get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Beyond doctors appointments, I had several good days at the beginning of the week where I really got to just enjoy watching my family's comings and goings. Patra and I got a good laugh this week when the two little girls stopped by for a visit. Avery (Adam & Sharon's little one) went straight for the remote control, pointing it at the television in an attempt to change the station from whatever I must have been watching to one of her favorites, "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse". And although Megan (Jenny & David's) enjoys the t.v., too, she went straight for the cookie cabinet when she arrived!

Emily and her family traveled to North Carolina in search of snow this week. Mission accomplished! I am so grateful for the technology that allowed them to share pictures of their sledding, snow-angel-making adventures! I was content to take it all in from the comfortable surroundings of a warm chair and blanket.



You know, as I pondered the many messages from friends this week, I recalled all the encouragement you have provided for our family. And oftentimes, you are giving me that encouragement in the midst of some pretty tall weeds of your own. Yet, many friends have commented (about their journey) that they know it isn’t/ wasn’t as rough as "what you are going through.” Yes, it it is. Don’t minimize your “walk.” Your “tall weeds” are just as difficult for you as mine are for me. The principles and Biblical promises apply to all of us. And it is a privilege to lift up prayers on your behalf just as you have so faithfully prayed for me.

Although the "weeds" of my upcoming surgery next Tuesday don't seem as tall as, let's say, the ones in Minnesota (when we did the "rare and radical procedure"), I can assure you that I will be going over the same verses that I was recalling during those days. This surgeon will get just as much prayer from me, and I will tell the doctors to please have plenty of anesthesia available (I’m still in favor of a medical coma).

I want God presence to wrap around me. I want that warm blanket just as much in Clearwater as I did in Rochester. Whatever “tall weeds" you are walking through, you should be praying for God’s protection, guidance, peace, comfort. You will need every bit of God’s protection and love and strength that I need. I am praying for you.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: Again you continue to inspire us and thank you for your comments regarding our own "tall weeds". Sometimes our trials seem so "trivial" but yet they are what we are dealing with and we know we have our Jesus to turn to and our friends and family. But we also are "jolted" back to reality sometimes when we do see so many situations that are far more critical than what we are handling and God reminds us that we can handle what is given us.

I am so glad you share your family joys as well; that is part of the glue that holds us together for sure! The innocence of the children, I know we need to be reminded to enjoy the little pleasures, go blow some bubbles, raid the cookie jar, color! What simple joys of life!

Take care my friends and we will be praying for your procedure this upcoming week.

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Thanks,Bob, for your update. It seems as if you are celebrating your 60th birthday as we celebrate all of ours, the entire week; we even celebrate the entire month as we get older. HA!

The sled ride that Austin is taking reminds us of our TN grandsons who did lots of that in the last few weeks and may have that opportunity again this weekend in their own yards. What fun.

We are back and look forward to seeing you SOON.

We continue to pray and praise on your behalf.
We love you,
Lex and Linda
Hi Bob,
Happy Birthday! Stay strong this week, you have been through tougher weeks and came thru with flying colors. This is a bump in the road.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as always. You continue to inspire me and many other Amy patients to "live" everyday. Love the pics of your grandchildren sledding. I miss those days! I look forward to an update after your procedure. God bless!
Cheryl
Anonymous said…
Bob:

I just wante to take a minute and let you know that somehow you are still teaching me. At bible study when we start a new book of the bible I always hear your voice in my head saying "this is my favorite book and I know it will be yours". I read and listen with the eyes and ears that you helped me gain. So as you are sitting around relaxing in the tall cotton or weeds eating cookies and watching Mickey Mouse, know that you are still reaching out to many of us. I think of you often and every time I do I stop and pray for you and your family.

Ken

P.S.

A belated Happy Birthday. By the way, if you use my current method of determining true age you simply flip the digits and there you have it. So by my calcuations you are now a happy 6 year old. Have some cookies and milk and act your age.