Only our Daily Bread

Friday, January 28
From Jenny

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you probably know a couple of things about my dad by now. 1. He doesn't want to feel a lot of pain (thus the constant requests for doctors to use "lots of drugs" for his procedures!) 2. He doesn't like to be cold.

So, when the heat went out in my parents house twice this week, Dad was very interested in keeping warm! Luckily, the AC man was able to rework some faulty wiring (on his second... and weekend...visit out to the house), and things seem to be working just fine. Dad's also discovered a few tricks to beat the cold. He was given some hand warmers (often used for camping/hunting/outdoor activities) that you can hold in the palm of your hand or keep in your pockets that remain VERY warm for a long time! He also discovered heated paper gowns.

Yes, someone has invented a little contraption that hooks up to and blows warm air into those paper hospital gowns. During his fistula surgery this past Tuesday, my dad got to try out one of these gowns and remained comfortable (and "well-drugged") for the entirety of the surgery!

The fistula surgery went well - no complications at all! Thank you for your prayers. We are grateful for the uncomplicated, things-going-just-as-expected kind of days. Because this same week, we were met with another unexpected complication in Dad's recovery process.

As you know, his visit to the Mayo Clinic and subsequent surgery there was to clamp off his kidneys (the affected organs). This is why he was put on dialysis. When a person's kidneys no longer work, the person no longer needs to eliminate liquid waste. And that's what dialysis is for.

Well, Dad began.... eliminating liquid waste... unexpectedly this week. It appears that at least one of his kidneys is functioning again. Perhaps the clamp came loose. We don't know. We do know that, after bringing in a sample to his nephrologist, he's definitely producing urine again, and it's definitely still FULL of proteins. This isn't good. It's probably going to take a bit of time to sort out all the reasons and figure out just where we go from here.

One thing I see my parents have learned a lot through this process is to take things "one day at a time". It can get so overwhelming to ponder the "what if's" and travel down the "what now" road.

But God gently reminds us over and over again that tomorrow is His. Not ours. That He provides our daily bread. And it's wise to ask only for that. Jesus gave us that example when He taught us how to pray (Matthew 6:11 "Give us today our daily bread") and centuries before Christ spoke those words, King Solomon understood the wisdom of the concept as well. Proverbs 30:8 says, "Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."

So, Mom & Dad are taking this new development in stride. I would ask for prayers, though, as he's now experiencing some pretty significant discomfort.

May I also... on a personal note... ask you to pray for two other families this week?

First, my father-in-law had hip replacement surgery on Wednesday. He and my mother-in-law are amazing, godly people. My father-in-law, through more than 15 years of the affects of Parkinson's disease never complains... He is truly a joyful man! But he's been in a lot of pain and discomfort for the past few years and we are praying that this surgery and recovery process bring full relief from the aches and pains! Thank you.

I also ask you to lift up the families of the two police officers who were killed in our area this week. It made local and national news, but hit quite close to home in a different way for us. Because my dear friend Stephanie lost her brother this week. Jeff Yaslowitz was the canine officer whose life was senselessly taken on Monday morning. He leaves behind a wife, 3 young children, two sisters, grieving parents, and an entire police department of friends and coworkers. The funeral service for both officers is this morning. And I am asking you to pray that, as people search for comfort and hope in this tragedy, they are pointed to the hope and comfort that we know in our great God! Pray also for Sgt. Tom Baitinger's family. They too have lost a brother, husband, friend, son, etc.

As many of you know, my brother Adam used to be a Law Enforcement Officer until he began his law school studies. This week, I have a fresh appreciation for what my brother did all those years, but especially that we were never the ones on the receiving end of that phone call.

Whew... Life can get overwhelming, can't it? Just another reason God wants us to only focus on the day He's given us. Today, I will focus on praying for my Dad and Dad-in-law to be comforted and relieved of physical pains. Today, I will pray that my friend is comforted in her time of grief. Today I will praise God for friends who faithfully read about and pray over my parents in their journey. Today, I will praise Him for His daily bread (and abundant blessings). And today, I urge you to do the same.

Tomorrow... well, tomorrow can just worry about itself! (Matthew 6:34)

Love,
Jenny

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for your post for your Dad. We pray for your entire family as you continue this journey that is in God's hands and, yes, thank you for the reminder for the daily bread. Otherwise we are so overwhelmed by the tomorrows and sometimes to forget to enjoy what we have today..

My father, too, broke his hip almost 3 years ago and has had Parkinson's for years but he never complains; bless his heart. The stamina of the older generation inspires us so much.

Yeah for heated gowns. I know I have been wearing thermal shirts underneath my clothes at work and even the cuddly soft for my legs. I also use the "bed buddy" in the evenings for the moist heat to relieve the stress in my neck and go to bed with it wrapped around my neck, it stays warm for quite a while and the moist heat really relieves and helps my sinuses as well..
Our whole community is saddened by these needless deaths of our officers. We do salute those that help protect us.
Take care my friends,
Ted & Carol W
Janet said…
Thank you, Jenny, Emily, and Bob, for the incredible gift that is this blog. I look forward each Friday to reading the weekly post. Not only can I count on it to update me on Bob's condition (I'm so much praying for comfort and joy), but also to provide incredibly powerful wisdom about dealing with and appreciating life day by day. I celebrate with your family the "ups", and pray with you about the "downs." Abundant blessings to you. <3
Wisdom at such a young age impresses me but then Solomon was crowned when he was about 20 years old. Your gift of wisdom is a good reminder for all who proclaim to follow Christ. Thank you for the update.
Anonymous said…
Hey, Bob2, thanks so very much for your update. Your ability to put us there with the family continues to amaze me.

It is good to be back here in FL sunshine and to be able to drop by to see your parents every now and again.

Jenny, we continue to pray for the journey that you and your family are taking. You are correct; the one day at a time is certainly a MUST.

Your family continues to teach us, inspire us and help us to realize more the continual care of our God.

We feel honored to be your friends and to be included in the prayers and praises for your family.

Love to you all,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra and family,
Thank you for allowing us to following your path of Victory. I have been encouraged so many times as you share your daily walk through the tall weeds. Today I asked God why you have to go through all of this, is it to encourage those of us who need reminding to look to Jesus immediately when things come up in our own lives, just why? The Lord immediately told me that's one of the reasons Jesus suffered so much on earth, to point us to himself. Thank you for being so transparent and for the reminder of the 'daily bread' and that God has got tomorrow covered so we don't have to worry or be anxious about it. Please know that a lot of Texans are praying for you as you are on my SS classes prayer list. As you know, Bob, you are blessed with Patra and fabulous children, their spouses and grandkids. May God continue to wrap you in his warm blanket of comfort and love. We, all believers, are on a journey to final victory with the Lord. I'm trusting that the next time I come to visit mom we can come see you. Carol Womack Cahill P.S. Mom is praying for you, too, and that's a LOT of prayer.