60 Years Old

(Friday, January 14, 2011) “60 years old”

I made it! As you might imagine, celebrating a birthday means a lot! I am 60 years old and don’t look a day older than 80. Andrew (5) and Austin (4) will soon be asking their parents why Grandma married such an “old” man.

Thank you for the cards and emails expressing best wishes. Patra and I are overwhelmed by the expressions of love of our friends. Many days we know we are upheld by the prayers offered on our behalf.

I made it to church and Bible study this past Sunday where a wonderful sermon and Bible study reminded me again that God is in control.

I am so thankful to Jenny for “blogging” last week. Lately the “tall weeds” have also gotten “thick” and I have not been physically or mentally able to communicate as I would like. I met with a doctor at Moffitt this week and she reminded me what we had been through in 2010 – stem cell transplant, chemo-therapy, surgery at the Mayo Clinic, the beginning of dialysis. This is one “nasty little disease.”
I was encouraged because she explained that for anybody those are the type of “tall weeds” that you need help to get through.

I get my help from my faith, my family, and my friends. I am so grateful that when I am unable, I can call on Jenny and Emily to help me with the blog.

Patra and I know that there are no promises for 2011 but we are hopeful that there are fewer “procedures” and doctor visits. Unfortunately 2011 begins with another “procedure” where the doctor will insert a “fistula” into my arm for dialysis. They did the ultrasound this week of my arms which enables the doctor to determine which arm to use. The fistula takes several months to become functional. Then the catheter in my chest can be removed. There is less risk of infection with the fistula.

We will keep you posted when that surgery is finally scheduled.

For now we are pressing on through the tall weeds and grateful for the good days God has given me this week. I'm grateful I can write to you all this week and once again so grateful that you're there, spurring me on, praying for me. Thank you!

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday!!! Yeah!!! Yes, each day is a milestone and we are grateful for each day that God has given us. We are so glad you are "on the mend" and sorry about the "thick weeds", hopefully soon they will become "strong healthy grass" and the weeds will disappear.

You are an awesome child of God and we are so glad to be your friend. You continue to teach us so much and we continue to be blessed by you and your family.

We pray for continued strength, that the dialysis gets easier each time, that the fistula surgery is swift and that it will become functional in an unusually fast amount of time! Hopefully the weather will get better soon so we can all get warm again!

Take care my friends!

In His Love
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob,
It is GREAT to hear from YOU again. And again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yes, you do have a wonderful family who are there for you, and your daughters write just about as well as does their father.

We are still in snow here and more than ready to see some Florida SUNSHINE. So save some for us. God willing we will see you next week.

Get your walking shoes on; we have missed a whole week of walking because of the weather and snow up here.

We must make up for lost time in those walking shoes; we may need your help to do that.

We love you and do continue to pray for you and Patra every day.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob - Happy Big Birthday to you!!! I have not been writing on here much but I HAVE been praying for you both alot. I do hope that this year will be better than the last. Please do keep writing as I look forward to the updates. As I go to church today, you have reminded me what a privilege it is to get to go. Love, Linda Hyde
Anonymous said…
Praying for you! We've been keeping up through your blog, but not being too great with technology, I didn't see how to leave a comment until now. :) We so admire your positive attitudes and faith in Jesus. We have another friend who was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in an earlier stage. She is also letting her light shine for Jesus, but what a difficult path! Bob and Patra, what a beautiful family you have! Your girls do a great job when they help with the blog, and I enjoyed hearing Jenny speak in our school chapel. May you all continue to feel Jesus close.
In His love, Sherrie and Wayne Patterson