"Praying for a Minnesota Heat Wave"

Friday, November 5, 2010 "Praying for a Minnesota Heat Wave"
It is November! Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. I love the Thanksgiving meal that Patra prepares for lunch and then later that night, we have "squished" turkey sandwiches with worchestershire sauce. Can you tell I'm ready? It may be different this year because I am having a significant problem with my appetite -I have no appetite. That is really weird for me. I think I want something and when it touches my mouth, it turns to metal and that is the end of eating. The doctors have given me an "appetite enhancer" (hormone) but so far not a lot of success.

What makes the situation more interesting is that I am also retaining fluid so my weight is increasing rapidly. Wednesday I weighed 190 - it seems like only days ago, I wrote that I was down to 167. They have started me back on a diuretic to get rid of some of the fluid.

I've decided to be thankful all of November. Every day I try to think of some way God has blessed me over the years and then spend that day thanking Him for the specific way He has worked.

We really do solicit your prayers this next week as Patra, Adam and I travel to Minnesota for my consultation at the Mayo Clinic. We had a real answer to prayer this week and a confirmation that we are on the right path in going to Minnesota. When we got the appointment, I learned that the Mayo Clinic was "out of network" as far as my insurance plan was concerned. This meant that we would be personally responsible for all of the costs and expenses associated with my medical care and tests. My case manager at Moffitt worked with us as we tried everything we could think of to get coverage. Nothing worked. On Tuesday (November 2) of this week, I decided I would make my last pitch and I confess, I worked myself into quite a frenzied state as I prepared to make my case. A nice young man ("Jack") eventually answered (after I spent 20 minutes pushing every conceivable number on my phone to get a human being) and asked if he could help me. I started in.

After a short while, Jack interrupted me. "Mr. Bugg, I think you will be pleased to know that as of November 1, the Mayo Clinic is a network provider for your insurance plan." "Pleased?" Are you kidding me? I wanted to kiss Jack. I'm glad my conversation with him was recorded "for quality control purposes." I told Jack to immediately go and give himself a raise. While we were prepared to do "whatever it takes" to get this consultation, this certainly was good news. While we had made efforts to move up the appointment at Mayo when it initially seemed "far off," this important insurance issue was resolved 1 week before my appointment.

Sunday night was "Trunk or Treat" at Jenny and David's church. I had planned for weeks to attend. I went in the wheelchair and really enjoyed seeing my grandkids and also visiting with friends from many years ago. Jenny and David had a "booth/car trunk" handing out candy. Jenny's theme was from the movie "Up." She and Andrew and Megan dressed in character.




Dear God, thank you for everything you do and have done for me over the years. Give me an attitude of gratitude this entire month. Thank you for friends and family who are standing by me and who are praying for me. I pray that you would bless their lives. Father, give us a safe trip to Minnesota. Be with the doctors that I will see. May their knowledge and years of experience enable them to devise a plan of attack to counter this "nasty little disease." May your will be done. Give me strength to do whatever it is you want me to do - I pray that even now, I would be able to serve you, that somehow I might be a blessing to someone else. More than anything, I thank you for Jesus.

Until next Friday! God willing.
Bob

Comments

Looking forward to your update next Friday! Praying for you and Patra and your newest journey to Mayo.
Anonymous said…
Bob: We are so grateful for your posts. You have reminded me that I need to be thankful for the things I have. I need to concentrate on the positive. I understand the "taste" situation. Can you drink the Boost or Ensure? At least that gets you the vitamins and minerals. You don't realize how much our "taste" means to us. Can you have shakes? At least the cool in the mouth might help with the "metal" taste.

You continue to be a blessing to us all and we will pray for a heat wave in Minn as well. I am glad the insurance situation worked out as well. One relief! I understand wanting to spend time with the grandchildren; they are so precious! Hopefully we can see our this week-end!

Take care my friends, we will be praying for you for your trip, the doctor's knowledge and that the course of treatment will be ready to go for you.

God bless you all!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob,
Did you check out the dog team yet? Just in case your request for warm weather in MN is delayed along the way!!Get there between fronts.
We are rejoicing with you for the good news concerning the insurance situation. God's timing is always right.
We are continuing to pray and praise with you. Our God never takes a vacation; HE is with us working things for our good. We BELIEVE HE is working all for your good.
Love you and Patra,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob,
That's so exciting to hear about the insurance!!! God is always on time, isn't He. We are praying for you and Patra. He is faithful and will continue to guide your steps. We love you all.
Tom and Margie.
Anonymous said…
Be assured of our thoughts and prayers as you go. May the Lord continue to show Himself BIG in your lives.

Ben & Karin
Anonymous said…
Bob, Patra and Adam,
All of you are in our prayers. I was just thinking about Bob and Patra requestiong pray for a safe trip for Adam after he graduated from college and he and a friend decided to travel out west. Who would have thought then what a "grown-up" role he would have now...what a blessing to have such a such wonderful adult children. We love you guys and "God willing" we hope to share many more years of friendship...you do know that we are moving back home in January, don't you?
Praying for a good report next week,
Charlotte and Donnell
Anonymous said…
So happy to hear the news that you are safe in MN, but even more happy about the insurance situation being resolved in a positive way.That is a huge relief to not to have that concern. We will continue our prayers for all of you and the doctors who will be caring for you (and I'm sure poking you a few times) while you are there.
Love the halloween pics of the children. They are all growing so fast. I know those little cousins will have so much fun together growing up. Maybe we could give them a few pointers. :)
Know we are thinking about you. Stay warm. ~~~ Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Hi Bob and Patra, Kids and G-kids:
I just learned about your blog. Talked to Rana to get an update.

You guys can't possibly know how your response in faith and courage to this terrible time encourages all of us who know you. You are "living teachers," Bob and Patra. You are teaching all of us by your example: this is what faith looks like in real life.

I took a walk down memory lane today. So many wonderful memories of you and us. Seems like a millenium ago, and yet just yesterday.

We love you. And we are praying for you. Just knowing that the Light on your path is enough for you, encourages me.

Rhonda Randall
Anonymous said…
Bob,
Thank you for your post this morning. I have always been interested in medicine and in my daydreams thought I would like to be a dr. Larry just shakes his head which is a good reaction because I do tend to glamorize my "what ifs". All this is to say, when you give details I can pray very specifically and it energizes my prayers.
And thank you for being so real in your feelings and in your praises. What a team you and Patra are. And just think, God knew all this when he brought you together.
You are a precious blessing to all of us. I feel bad about saying that considering what you are going through that enhances your blessing to us but it is true, you show us the walk of faith in action.
We love you,
Mary C