"Back in the Saddle Again"

Friday, November 26, 2010 "Back in the Saddle Again"
Happy Thanksgiving from MinneSNOWta!
We were released from the hospital yesterday. I will return as an outpatient for dialysis and physical and occupational therapy. While this was not the plan of my treating doctors, the insurance company did not approve the intensive physical therapy program that my doctors recommended.

The doctors (who had to be extremely frustrated) kept the focus on my care and were willing to adapt to the situation day by day. They assured me that they would deal with what they were presented with. With their support and the assurance of scripture that "all things work together for good to those who love the Lord, who are called, according to His purpose," I am confident that the "new plan" will work well in getting me strong for the trip home in about a week. It is interesting that some really bright, wonderfully trained physicians and surgeons, at one of our most prestigious medical facilities, would have their considered opinion as to my medical treatment nullified by an insurance company account representative who has never seen me, examined me or probably spent any time in medical school.

On Monday, November 15, I had my surgery. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but the procedure involved a bilateral laparoscopic ligation of the kidneys, hand-assisted. Both of my kidneys were "shut down" and now I will be on dialysis for the rest of my life (unless medical science makes some really significant advances.) The important point to me right now in my recovery is that little phrase - "hand-assisted." The surgeon told me before the surgery that because of significant fluid retention, he would probably need to make an incision for hand assistance. After the surgery, when we looked at my belly, there were the typical "holes" where the laparoscope would have been inserted. But what shocked me was the size of the incision for the "hand-assisted" portion of the surgery. Every time the doctor came to see me in follow up, I looked at his hands - he has big man hands! Patra says it looks like I had a C-section.

It is taking longer than I expected to recover. These have been some of the darkest days of the journey so far. You wonder if you will ever feel "normal" again. Pain medication dilutes the discomfort/pain but it is always a balance where too much "assistance" leaves you "foggy". We never expected to be here this long - 18 days so far. I was in the hospital 12 days. It is cold - this was the coldest Thanksgiving in Rochester in 25 years. We miss the kids and grandkids more than we could have imagined. They were great about calling Patra several times on Thanksgiving to get her opinions about cooking the Turkey meal.That helped to make her feel a part of the festivities!

Patra and I had our Thanksgiving meal in my hospital room. As we prayed for our meal, we were both overcome with emotion thinking about the family so far away. Please understand that it has not been all tears. We are so thankful for the blessings God has poured out on us. We honestly believe that we now have an opportunity for a longer and productive life.

Several times I have just cried out to God - calling His name and asking Him to comfort me, to cover me with His presence - yes, to take away the pain and discomfort.

I have layed in bed listening to my I-pod and God has used the musicians and their words to bring comfort and peace to me. Listen to these words from Mandisa - it's as if they were written just for me!

Mandisa "He is with You"
He is with you
When you're in the ICU
and the doctors don't know what to do
and it scares you to the core
He is with you!

Patra has been there every step of the way, sleeping on a cot in my hospital room so that she could help me through the night. As one of my nurses told me - "I hope you are getting her a great Christmas present."

The Mayo Clinic is quite a place. It employs more than 30,000 people. I have met and been treated by some wonderfully dedicated, talented people. I want to do more reading about the Mayo brothers (Will and Charles) and the work that has been and is being done here.

I have a tube coming out of my stomach for draining fluid. It looks like a hand grenade but is actually a "Jackson-Pratt" drainage bulb. As my nurse was changing and draining and cleaning my "Jackson-Pratt" she mentioned that she had gone to Mayo High School with the daughter of either Dr. Jackson or Dr. Pratt. History comes alive!

As you pray for us this week, the schedule is to undergo dialysis Friday, then Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week. The dialysis takes about 4 - 4 1/2 hours and I am very fatigued when we are finished.

I will meet with the outpatient physical therapist Friday and set a schedule for therapy next week.

Next Wednesday one of the surgeons from the transplant team will assess me and make a decision as to whether it is OK to undergo a procedure to remove the "Jackson-Pratt" drainage bulb. They would like to have that removed before we go home.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, Bob and Patra, we didn't forget that today is Friday as we did last week.
We watch the weather channel constantly checking the MN weather. We know that the cold must "cut" right through you, hopefully, leaving no holes. It is good that you don't have to go out into that snow and COLD.
However, we are so sorry that the insurance company is not allowing the intensive therapy that the doctors want you to have. We pray that God will turn this into something for your GOOD.
Bob, one never knows how God is using him. Just think of all the medical staff with whom you have had contact. You are probably sowing more seeds than you can imagine.
We know that your children and grandchildren missed you yesterday; however, they are looking at the big picture of having you be more healthy to spend time with them.
Well, we have to get ready to leave for Chattanooga for a day with long-time friends. We carry you both in our hearts as we go.
Love you bunches and continuing to pray and praise on your behalf.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Bob & Patra: Thanksgiving has more meaning than ever before, especially for you and your family. I know it tears at your heart strings when you cannot be together; but think of the long term outcome. I know my heart is not "whole" when all my family is not together. Our son had to work yesterday, it is Cracker Barrel's busiest day. Angela & Zachary were able to meet us at my Mom's, my brother went to pick up Daddy from the VA facility and a niece was down from Indiana. My sister that had her breast removed last week was there as well, along with the newest nephew, six weeks old. He has bright red hair so we know the Jett tradition will go on.
Your journey has inspired the rest of us and your testimony still speaks volumes to those around you. The insurance companies make me mad too; do file an appeal, we have to fight for what is right; I know my doctor had to go "to bat" several times, especially to get the Herceptin approved and the Procrit shots. It is bad enough that you are feeling bad, having surgery, having all this and trying to heal and get strong and they have the nerve to deny what the doctor has deemed necessary. Unbelievable. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now and concentrate on the power of prayer for your recovery and your coming home from Minnesnowta!
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra, We have shared your blog with many praying friends here in East TN who are following your progress and are encouraged by your spirit and trust in a brighter tomorrow. We will hope for a heat wave to hit MN, but don't count on it. Love and prayers, Don and Kathy Larson
Becky said…
Mr Bugg,
I can't help but be so encouraged each and every time I read your blog or get to update someone on how you are doing...as I begin to explain what your latest update is words to the effect of "but he is so solid in his faith and trusting that God is doing what he must to be glorified" always end the update. I will continue to pray that the treatment goes well and you get home to those amazing kids and grandkids of yours. I know how special Thanksgiving is to your family and thank you for letting me share in it a few years ago...it blessed me more than you know.
Until next time,
Becky Heyse