"What a Comforter"

Friday, October 1, 2010 "What a Comforter"
Thanks to Jenny for helping me out last week. Jenny wrote about our family having to change plans frequently over the last many months. I feel like we have gone way beyond "Plan B." I think we have been through the alphabet (at least once) and are now on "Plan Z."

Unfortunately my computer bit the dust and is now in a repair shop. I am hoping to get it back soon.

Our prayer priority is our grandson Andrew's surgery which is scheduled for next Monday, October 11. We were able to move my appointments at Moffitt to the 12th so that Patra will be able to be with the family at All Children's Hospital for the surgery. We continue to solicit your prayers and are so thankful for the support you have shown us through this.

The last two weeks have not been good weeks physically. We spent many days at Moffitt getting fluids and other medications. This week has been better but I am still having difficulty with my blood pressure. I thought I was doing better on Monday but my "vital signs" disagreed. My blood pressure was rather "wacky" which raised some concerns. I was able to resume my chemo-therapy treatment so we are now in the midst of Cycle 4 of the Velcade regimen.

"Theater of the Absurd"
Sometimes you don't think straight when you don't feel good. (At least that's my excuse for most of my behavior.) One night last week I woke up in the middle of the night very nauseous. I looked around and couldn't find T.U.B. (Throw Up Bucket.) I looked all around the dark bedroom. T.U.B. was AWOL. At that point I had no choice but to wake Patra and tell her I was nauseous and needed T.U.B. quickly. She ran into the bathroom. I heard a lot of noise and then she brought me a substitute bucket.

At this point the story moves in an unexpected direction!

"I can't use that. It's dirty."
"It's not dirty. It's just make-up. I emptied my make-up into the sink." (the noise I had heard)

Here we are in the middle of the night engaged in a discussion with respect to the suitability of the receptacle I was being offered to use as a vessel for making a deposit. OK, I confess - I have some "quirks." I do not want my toothpaste squeezed in the middle and if a restaurant serves me a cup of coffee with lipstick on the cup, it will be months, if ever, before I return. And I want a clean "bucket."

By the way, T.U.B. is fine. With the busy and difficult week, T.U.B. had been placed back on "active duty" and inadvertently left in the car after a trip to Moffitt. I have forgiven T.U.B. for not being there when needed, provided it never happens again.

No matter how puny I may feel when I get to Moffitt I always feel better when they bring me a warm blanket. Most hospitals have blanket warmers and there is nothing better than the feeling of that warm blanket.

I am reminded of that same comfort through my faith. No matter how difficult the day or week may be, when I focus on the promises and provision of God, I get that same warm feeling. What a comforter!

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort." (2 Corinthians 1:3 NASB)

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Bob,
We are sorry to hear about your computer. At least you know what to do with it when you have it operational. At the Wiggins house we are very tech challenged. This new blackboard update at the college is causing many trips to campus to talk with someone about "how" to do this or that. Most of the time the written directions are too difficult for our simple minds. Anyway, we always go armed with brownies, apple muffins or blueberry muffins, etc. The trick is to make the tech people on campus addicted to such so that they will be asking us to come for help.
We have been praying extra much these last few weeks. We will continue to do so. God's comfort blanket is what we all need during our life times. So glad that Moffitt is supplying those WARM blankets. We are praying for Andrew and will have his special treat ready when he gets out of surgery.
We love you.
Lex and Linda
PS Remember the big game on Saturday....the Elephants and the Gators!!! Either win is a win for us. So Roll Tide!! Chomp,Chomp Gators!!
Anonymous said…
I am still praying for your family and you will be comforted to know that Lindsey, my 4 year old prays for Andrew daily and I have never heard such heartfelt prayers- for his peace, not to be afraid, for god to take care of him,for his doctors to know what to do, etc. If anyone has the ear of God on Andrew's behalf, certainly it is her. What could be more powerful pleadings than the prayers of a little one for another?
stay strong- you remain one of my heros!
Jennifer N.