"37 Window is Having a Bad Week"

Friday, October 22, 2010 "37 Window is Having a Bad Week"
I am so appreciative that Jenny and Emily kept everyone up to date for the last couple of weeks. While in the hospital last week, I woke up from a nap one day during a shift change and heard some of the nursing aids outside my door discussing the status of patients. As I ordered my meals during the week, I would identify myself as being in the "window" bed in "Room 37." It therefore caught my attention when my aid told her replacement, "37 window is having a bad week." After numerous consultations and a great deal of medical jargon, she summarized my situation pretty succinctly. I was having a bad week!

For the last couple of weeks, there have been more bad days and fewer good moments. The major problem is "orthostatic hypotension" which means that my blood pressure drops to very low levels when I sit or stand up. As a result, I have "syncopal episodes" which means I faint or pass out. A week ago Sunday I passed out twice and the episodes were more severe than normal so Patra contacted Moffitt and was instructed to call 911. Basically for 5 days I was instructed to stay in bed (the alarm on my bed wouldn't even let me cheat a little) while the doctors conducted numerous tests and exams.

Again, we were treated so kindly by the medical and support staff and we are so appreciative and thankful.

The cardiologist started a new medication and I have three scheduled appointments per week at Moffitt for fluids and I.V.s as needed.

Because my physical condition has deteriorated, the doctors decided to stop my chemo-therapy until after I have my consultation at the Mayo Clinic in November. I would appreciate your prayers that the doctors will be able to "pump me up" so that I can physically make that trip.

We will be flying to Minnesota and Adam is coming with us. I call him my designated "catcher." His role is to keep me from hurting myself if I pass out.

Patra and I firmly believe that my hospitalization was a "divine appointment." We had many opportunities to share our faith and to talk about spiritual matters. Although the hospital was very busy and active during the week, one afternoon it seemed like "Somebody" threw a switch and things got very quiet. We had a wonderful Christian nurse with a young family that had been with us for a couple of days. We talked to our nurse about raising a family and the issues that young couples face. As Patra shared, I couldn't help but think how fortunate this nurse was to be getting advice from "the best." (Patra and I really are a team and my teammate is pulling a lot of the load during this time.) After a few minutes we prayed together.

Later that evening, as her shift ended, a young nursing student came to my room to say good night and told me she would pray for me. Then she said she knew that Patra and I were a couple of faith and she asked if I would pray for her. She shared some specific prayer requests and I assured her I would pray for her. I haven't missed a day since then praying for her. What a privilege and honor to pray for others.

I confess that I asked God if there might not have been a way to have these "divine appointments" without having to spend 5 days in a hospital bed. Seriously, I pray that God will use this time however He desires and that we will be faithful and obedient to His will.

I also have great news concerning Andrew. While I was in the hospital in North Pinellas, Andrew was at All Children's in South Pinellas having brain surgery. Patra was literally driving "back and forth" checking on Andrew and taking care of me. Fortunately, Emily spent the week here helping out and Adam missed some of his classes at the law school to babysit Dad so Mom could spend time with Andrew. Andrew went through the surgery well and was released from the hospital on Thursday. He continues to recover but for someone who had the surgery he had, he is doing remarkably well. What a great kid! He brightens my day!

And today, October 22, 2010, Megan turns 1! Happy Birthday, Megan. It is hard to believe a year has passed. I received word that she was born just as I was going to my first appointment with the nephrologist (kidney doctor.) We were early in the diagnostic phase which would eventually lead to the diagnosis of my "nasty little disease."

Avery (Adam and Sharon's daughter) was born 6 days later so these are going to be close cousins. Happy Birthday, Avery! We celebrated their birthday the other night and I've asked Jenny to include a short video of the girls eating cake. If you have a minute, please check out the personalities of my two granddaughters.



Since Emily was home, we were able to spend time with Austin (4 years old) as well. He and Andrew are best buddies and we all enjoy watching the two of them interact. Austin spent the night with Andrew one night and they had a great time "camping out." I am warning my children that these cousins have just enough "spice" to make sure their parents will have their hands full.

My brother Chuck flew down from Kentucky this week for a visit. He is my mentor in many ways. My children tease me about how my mannerisms are the same as his. Although far too short, we had a great visit.

So in the midst of the "tall weeds," God provides an oasis of His care and protection. Divine appointments, caring health workers, divine appointments, a wonderful family and wife. Who could ask for more?

"Father, thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for Patra, the kids and the grandkids! Thank you for the opportunities to share with others. Thank you for taking care of Andrew - may he get stronger and heal completely. I am so blessed."

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob,
It is SOOOOOO good to hear from you, Bob1. Our hearts rejoice with you. Thanks for all the info and for sharing the girls' birthday party. They are truly little dolls.
We are safely back in TN and on our way to join our church group to go to DollyWood for the gospel singing fest. Many of those church folk are praying for you. We will share your update with them.
We are continuing to pray for you and all those medical staff in charge of your care. Now, we will focus particularly on the Mayo trip, consultation, and help that they can give you.
We continue to pray for Andrew's complete healing and for your sweet Patra as well as wonderful children and grandchildren. There is nothing like a supportive, loving family to pump one up, is there?
Love and prayers,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
It is so good to hear from you, Bob. We love the updates from Jenny and Emily but you are where are hearts are and know, dear brother, we are in constant prayer for you and Patra and your family as well. Andrew sounds like a real "trooper" just like his grandfather. Aren't grandkids the best! What cutie pies!

Sometimes in the "worst" of situations, that is when our testimony means the most to those who surround us; whether it be extended family members, friends, caregivers, etc. Your faith and your sharing with Patra and yourself have touched countless lives; some may never mention it to you, but everything you do is being observed and taken to heart and that is where your light shines! You have not hidden under a basket!

Know we are thinking about you and your trip to Minnesota. Better take some warmer clothes and a hat. You lose the majority of your warmth thru your head. I know I slept with a cap when I lost my hair!

Take care my friends and know that you are thought of often.

Ted & Carol W
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
The girls are absolutely adorable!
Loved watching their reactions.
Kids have a way of reminding us not to take life too seriously....Father is in charge and sometimes we get cake!
Glad you are home! Loved the video. My father and daughter Jennie also have orthostatic hpotension... Jennie actually broke her hand falling on it at the beach one summer. BE CAREFUL!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for your update. I so so loved the video of the girls eating their birthday cake. Oh, to watch that over and over again.

JEN Harvey