Perfecting Plan "B"

Plan "A" was that you would be reading my dad's weekly update & thoughts right now.

But this week, you're getting Plan "B", also known as Jenny.

Which is kind of appropriate, because our family seems to be perfecting the art of Plan "B" lately.

On any given evening at my parents' house, you might overhear several phone conversations between me, my mom, and my brother as we set out a strategy to conquer the next day's itinerary. My dad's work schedule, the babies' naptime schedules, law school, law practice, t-ball practice, chemo - they all get factored in and each member of the family gets their assignment.

And undoubtedly, with the dawn of the new morning, we are already on Plan "B" because someone is sick or a class got cancelled or a game got moved, or the home health care nurse is coming at noon. While Plan "B" usually gets us through the day, we are known to line up an arsenal of back-up plans for our back-up plans.

We are like the boy scouts - always prepared...

But this past week sure has tested our skills.

For instance, take Saturday.
Plan A was for Mom (Patra) & Dad (Bob) to come watch my son's first t-ball game of the season with our family and my brother's family, then head out to a quick lunch afterward. Dad did great at the baseball game. We had a seat for him under some shade, close to the restrooms, not a far walk from the parking lot. He made it to, through, and out of the ballpark just fine. We went to a great little lunch place near the ball field, and Dad ordered a nice big lunch. Before our dishes were served, he asked Adam to help him to the restroom.

Plan B was that Adam adeptly caught my Dad as he passed out in the men's room, kicked the door open wide enough to make eye contact with someone in the dining area, and shouted in his best former-police-officer-stern voice for, "SHARON!" This command sent my sister-in-law running for the bathrooms, followed by my husband and my mom. I stayed behind with the 3 bewildered children.

A few tense moments later, Dad regained consciousness and, obviously not prepared for the change of plans, asked my brother, "Why am I on the floor?" Adam is getting pretty good at catching Dad - I think this is the 3rd time he's been in the right place at the right time. We are often grateful for God's providence (and Adam's tall, strong stature) in these moments.

Lunch took on a different tone after that. Dad tried to make us all feel a little better by staying conscious and eating some of his meal. We all pretended to eat ours, while taking turns staring directly at him to make sure he remained upright. We quickly finished and got him in the car and home for fluids.

Saturday turned out to be a pretty good indicator of the week to come.

On Monday, Plan A was to start Week 4 of his chemo treatments.
Instead, the hospital staff took a look at his pallor and test results and called for Plan B - NO CHEMO. He just wasn't strong enough this week to handle the course of treatment, so it's been pushed back another week to allow his body to recover a bit. Monday's back-up plan included all-day fluids and albumin.

Tuesday's plan was for Dad to feel much better after a day at Moffitt and be able to work in the late afternoon.
Instead, we cancelled his mediation and he spent the entire day at Moffitt for a blood transfusion and more fluids.

On Wednesday, Dad was once again scheduled to mediate a case in the afternoon. As I walked into his house to pick him up for work (he wasn't up for driving), I had very little faith in Plan A. (I think my dad was a little concerned about getting through the day, too). Remarkably, he managed to summon up the energy to do what he does best... it was a great few hours at the office!

On a typical Friday, Mom & Dad get to spend the morning watching Adam's little girl.

But Plan B has already been set in motion, as Dad will be scheduled to get more all-day fluids and albumin at Moffitt today.

It has been a tough week physically for him, but as always, your prayers, comments and words encourage our WHOLE FAMILY as we walk this particular path.

You know, I think we can get carried away planning and replanning for all of life's possibilities. Some of it's necessary, of course. But I find more and more comfort from the simple (and powerful) verse found in Romans Chapter 8 (v. 28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.").

He has a MASTER PLAN. And it's a whole lot better than Plan "A", "B", or any other course we can come up with. And He is working it out for my Dad's good... for my Mom's good... for the good of everyone who loves Him.

And just because He likes to give us glimpses into His goodness, He provides those extra little blessings along the way. Like the fact that, because my parents are away all day, I get to have both baby girls this morning to myself.

Sometimes... Plan "B" comes with beautiful blessings!


Jenny

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jenny, Bob & Family: Our hearts are there with you. Thank you for the beautiful words of encouragement from our Lord. The emotional journey and the strength of your family are beyond words; the tears I share with you as I read the blog; always hoping for Plan A, and understanding that our plans are not always God's plans, but still we feel we lose control of the situations in our lives that we want to be in control of. I struggle with this & our human nature is to be in control. Thanks for the reminder that we need to let go & let God. We all are on this journey with your family and know that the prayers go up daily for your precious family.
Take care all!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Jenny,
We feel as if we have heard directly from your dad as you are so much like him. As we have told you, you are Bob2 in expressing yourself. Thanks for sharing with us in your definite Bob style.
Jenny, we continue to pray as God guides you and your family along the way. You all are such an encouragement to all of us who are traveling along with you.
We love you dearly and you are in our hearts constantly. Please know that we continue to pray and praise on your family's behalf. We feel honored to be walking with the family.
Lex and Linda
melody said…
For the last week or so, God has been showing me that I consider His plan for me to be Plan B--only in case of emergency, in case my plan doesn't work out. His will--in case I don't get mine. What He wants--if I can't get what I want. Thanks for bringing me back to Romans 8:28. His good and perfect will... He is FOR me.
-- E's friend
Anonymous said…
Our prayers for 'God's will be done' continue for Bob,Patra and your whole family...Take care~~~I Peter 5:7
II Peter 3:18 Psalm 91:11
In Christ's love,
Ruthie & Dave