"Party Time at the Bugg House"

(Friday, September 17, 2010) “Party Time at the Bugg House”
More good news! We really do praise God for all of the blessings He gives to us as a family. Right after we “went to press” las
t Friday, Emily was advised she passed her comprehensive exams for her Ph.D. She will be working with her advisers over the next several weeks getting her dissertation topic approved. Then begins the process of writing her dissertation. It was exciting to me to hear her talk about the areas of interest that she will be addressing in her dissertation. She has spent the last four years getting to this point and she is thrilled. Her goal is to teach at the college level – teaching and training teachers. She will be terrific. We are proud of her!

Emily and Austin came home and we celebrated Adam and Sharon’s pregnancy and Emily’s success. A good friend drove over from Ormond Beach Friday nigh
t for a quick visit. Andrew (5) and Austin (4) were in a party mood and associated Chobee’s visit with the party. “Uncle Chobee” became the main man and when he left, they wanted to know “if the party was over?”

I wasn’t feeling good physically because of finishing another cycle of chemo-therapy last week but I enjoyed the weekend. There was lots of laughter and celebrating. The house was noisy, active, alive.

Saturday morning he and I got up early and went to breakfast. (Patra gave explicit instructions on how to care for me if I passed out or needed emergent care.) I custom ordered breakfast. Unfortunately, I was at that stage where food still smells good but once it hits my mouth, it has absolutely no taste or appeal. So after a couple of bites, that was it. But we were still able to talk.

Faith, family, friends. As I thought about his visit and our time together, several thoughts came to my mind about our "friendship."

We share a “history.” Chobee and I have been friends for basically 50 years. We went to junior high school, high school, college and law school together. That has resulted in a lot of memories and stories. Our "history" is rich.

We share a “faith.” We were in the same youth group during junior high school and high school. We talked about how we had been encouraged to memorize scripture while we were in the youth group and how even today, those scriptures still come to mind. I told him that during the hospitalization for my bone marrow transplant, there were many days I was unable to read. Some days I didn't even want to open my
eyes. During those times, I would lay in the bed and scripture and hymns would come to my mind and bring comfort and peace to me. I did not know when I was first learning those verses how they would be used, but I am thankful that God prepared the way many years ago.

We talk about “everything.” Although much of our conversation was about my “nasty little disease” we talked about many other things. We just shared our lives. With good friends, there are no topics that are “off limits.” Chobee asked some really penetrating questions. I told him that during the night I had thought several times about questions he had asked me earlier. At one point during breakfast, Chobee asked me how I was really doing. I told him I am really doing fine. I quickly followed up by saying that I know I am doing fine only because of God's grace. I make no guarantees as to how I may do tomorrow or the next day. It is certainly my prayer that God will be glorified every day of my life and that He will continue to be gracious in that regard but I do not know what tomorrow will bring. I fully expect that there will be even more difficult days ahead and while I may not be OK temporarily, it is most important not to get stuck in the "tall weeds." I also told him that if those difficult times come, I will let him know and he will need to make another "road trip" to Clearwater! That's what friends are for.

September 13 is an "anniversary" for Patra and me. This year, it was the 42nd anniversary of our first date. I'm getting really good at making these special days "special." When I woke up Monday morning, I couldn’t stand up. Every time I tried, I would get very dizzy and have to immediately sit down. (This is not a good way to be. There are many activities which require standing.) Patra used a walker to get me in the car and we headed to Moffitt. I was very dehydrated (orthostatic hypotension) and required a lot of fluid and potassium. They took x-rays and ran a number of tests to rule out other problems. I was prescribed additional medications (I'm getting quite a collection) and home health care will be doing additional blood work. Once again, my "anniversary" meal was a hospital tuna sandwich and chips. But at least we spent it together!

At one point a nurse came into my room and asked which arm I wanted her to use to draw blood. I was so pleased that my port would mean no need for another "stick." “You won't need an arm. I have a port and it’s accessed.” “I know you have a port and I will use it to draw blood but this particular blood culture requires we also take blood from your arm.” Who wrote that rule? Is somebody changing the rules on me?

My daily I.V. fluids have been increased. I am now "hooked up" to the I.V. pole about 6 hours a day. I am thankful that it is on wheels and I am thankful that it's height can be adjusted to get through doors in the house. I'm becoming quite proficient at negotiating the house while "connected." I have suggested to Patra that she go to Home Depot and see if they can custom make me fittings so that I can hook my port up directly to the garden hose. That might save a lot of time.

By the way, if you are driving down Belcher Road and notice a gray Honda with an I.V. pole sticking out the sun roof, please honk and say hello!

Wednesday I wanted to get out of the house (and out of the recliner) without going to a hospital. We decided to get a quick bite to eat. The restaurant staff was so glad to see us. It had been months since we had been there. As we walked in the door, everyone yelled out, “Welcome to Moe’s.”

Andrew (our 5 year old grandson) is scheduled for brain surgery at All Children’s Hospital on Monday, October 11. (There is a neurosurgeon in St. Petersburg who is really being prayed for by a mediator in Clearwater!) My appointment at the Mayo Clinic is scheduled for November 8. While we tried to get an earlier consultation for me in Minnesota, once again it appears that God has graciously worked out the timing. Patra and I want to be here for Andrew's surgery, hospitalization and initial recovery. It seems like that will work out. Our prayer is that by the time we go to Minnesota Andrew will be well on the road to a full and complete recovery. Your prayers for Andrew and our entire family have meant so much. Thank you.

Father, we praise You for all of the blessings you have given to us. You are good... all the time. Father, in the midst of this journey, I pray that I will never miss the blessings. Thank you for Emily's good news - may she be used by You in a special way to minister to others. Thank you for friends who have supported us, loved us, cared for us, prayed for us. Help me to be that kind of friend. Father, I do pray for Andrew and for his surgeon. May the surgery be successful and may his recovery be quick and complete.

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen and Amen again! Lord, we thank you for Bob Bugg and his precious family. Their faith and testimony speaks to our hearts and Lord we ask you to bless them in so many special ways. We thank you for the good news of Emily, we pray for the upcoming surgery for Andrew and especially Lord for the healing of Bob's "nasty little disease" We ask that the knowledge you have given the doctor at the Mayo Clinic will be the key to his healing. Amen

Best buddies are so important and it is good to have someone that you can talk to about anything. Bless you and Patra on your anniversary of meeting; that definitely is an important day in any married couple's lives. I remember ours very well also.

Unfortunately our family is into some "tall weeds" as well and we ask for your prayers also; we know there is power in prayer.

Take care all
In His Love
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Good Morning, Bob, from Countryside rather than TN this AM.
Thanks for the info; we will keep our eyes opened for that Honda with the pole sticking out. You will hear us before you see us.
We will continue to pray for the special dates of Andrew's surgery and your trip to Mayo. God's timing is always right; we just don't always see it at that particular moment.
Well, Lex is scrounging through the refrig trying to find a piece of something to toast for breakfast. I think that Publix is calling our names.
Love you and continuing to pray and praise.
Linda and for Lex
Anonymous said…
Good Morning Bob & Patra,
My heart has been so full of praise these past few days as I've reflected on Gods goodness to us. He is our protector, shield, defense, hiding place, rock, friend, and in truth, He is our everything. I've reached across time and researched to contact Thom and Chobee...feeling such an urgent need to say to all...your faithfulness inspires and deeply blesses my heart.

Our prayers are for Andrew on October surgery date. With you all on your November date...and today, that God will lift you up physically and spiritually as you continue walking through those very deep and tall grasses.

I can say with truth, I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always with every prayer, making requests.

It's all Because of Calvary, sending our love,

Ritchie and Sheldon
Anonymous said…
Bob, my sister emailed me your blogspot so that I could share in praying for you, Patra, Andrew and your entire family.
It has been challenging to read your insights and comments as you read and study scripture.
You remind me that we are all to have a constant, conscious awareness of our dependence upon Him and his purpose in our lives.
In high school, I always looked up to you Thom and Chobee as you seemed to have a strong, secure sense of Gods' hand on your life. God is already using you in a great way to touch hearts and lives-

Mahala Oldham Mallicoat
I have been thinking of you a great deal Mr. Bugg. And praying for you. And I love this...how you said that you are REALLY fine only by God's grace He has given TODAY. A daily faith walk. Not too little. Not to overflowing. Just enough. And I love how you said you make no guarantees for what tomorrow will bring. Because of course...today has enough troubles of its own. And really, I laughed OUT LOUD at the imagery of an iv pole sticking out of your car and someone beeping a friendly hello. And about the rules...yes. The rules are never the way we write them. I have certainly learned that. And I have now learned one can never get too comfortable with their port. :)
Blessings,
Jessica
Anonymous said…
Cheap and trendy deisgner clothing from ronkaclothing.com where we sell: TOM BINNS, Sergio Rossi, Alternative Apparel, Sheila Fajl, Under £50, Kettle Black, Tibi, Gypsy 05, LITTER, Tank, Jarbo, Textile Junkie, http://www.eicop.org/pc-254-7-american-retro-daphne-hooded-cardigan-sweater.aspx, Romper, AG Adriano Goldschmied, Paige Denim, Charms, under.ligne by doo.ri, Equipment, Wilt, Kimberly Taylor, Bootcut Jeans, Nuj Novakhett, Friend of Mine, Adrienne Landau, Joie, William Rast, Carrera, Samantha House, JET by John Eshaya, Love, Yu, MINKPINK, Alex and Ani, Clutches, Luna Luz, Eco Friendly, Shorts, House of Harlow 1960 Jewelry, Shorts, Velvetine, Nightwear, Cosabella, Fortune Favors the Brave, Catherine Malandrino, Elegantly Waisted, Style Stalker, Yoana Baraschi, Hollywood Trading Company, One Teaspoon, Nicole Miller Handbags, Corsets and Basques, Vitamin A Gold/Miami, Tigerlily, Betsey Johnson, Atria, Low Luv, Goddis, Susana Monaco, Zambos & Siega - all available from our online designer clothing store at 50% off sale! Check out http://arts.harvard.edu - harvard university arts and fashion.
We admire work of Harvard University Arts and Fashion - best school of arts where great designers learn
how to create great looking designer clothing!