"Walking on Water"

(Friday, August 20, 2010) “Walking on Water”
This is always a busy and exciting time of year and even this “nasty little disease” can’t change that. Andrew (5) started kindergarten on Wednesday. When his first day was done, he told his mother that he really liked his school and therefore there was no reason for him to go to college. We are keeping Austin (4) for a couple of days while Emily is in Texas taking comprehensive exams (written and oral) for her Ph.D. Adam starts his second year of law school Monday. (He is doing much better than I did. I have mixed feelings about that. He is doing MUCH better than I did!) Adam’s wife, Sharon starts teaching next week so Patra will sometimes watch Avery until Adam picks her up after class.

All the talk in our family about school made me realize how much I miss teaching. Normally, I would be getting ready for a new year of teaching Community Bible Study and a new semester teaching negotiation and mediation at the law school. And, just so I didn’t get bored, I would be teaching my adult Bible study class at church. While my plate was probably a little too full, in less than a year, all of those opportunities to teach have disappeared. While I am physically unable to teach presently, God has graciously opened another door of ministry through this blog.

I made it to our Bible study class party last Saturday night. It was great to talk to a number of people. Thanks to Steve and Bobbie for their leadership, hospitality and particularly thanks for making such a comfortable recliner available! Thanks to all of the class members who are such prayer partners and encouragers.

This was a good week. I completed the chemo-therapy portion of cycle #2 and next week is a “rest week.” With every treatment the last two weeks, I have been given fluids and proteins and that has definitely helped me stay hydrated. I am really going to try and avoid any emergency runs to Moffitt or an E.R. We will be doing some testing next week which may give information to the doctors about whether or not the treatment is working. Your prayers would be appreciated.

I am regularly reminded how many people are experiencing “storms” in their lives. For some of us, it is an illness or a disease. For others, it is financial or relational or legal. In the Gospel of Matthew, we are told about an incident where the disciples experienced a “storm.” (Matthew 14:22-36)

Briefly, Jesus had instructed the disciples to take a boat and he would meet them later. Unfortunately, while at sea, they were battered by a storm. Not only were they frightened by the storm, they were also frightened when they saw Jesus walking on the water toward them. They thought they saw a ghost. (Apparently they didn't think Holy Ghost.) After Jesus reassures them, Peter asks for permission to come to Jesus. Permission is granted (“Come”) and Peter initially does very well walking on water. But as Matthew 14:30 points out, Peter became afraid and began to sink. He prayed a quick prayer, “Lord, save me!”

I would like to share three thoughts about this story. (It is a rich story and there are certainly many more thoughts and truths to be gleaned from it.)

Sometimes when you are in a storm, God wants you to get out of the boat and do something exceptional. I believe that God still wants to use me. He is going to get me out of the boat of this “nasty little disease” and He is going to let me “walk on water.” I believe that God is going to enable me to do something that I can’t even define at this moment that will be beyond what I believe I will be able to do. I'm praying that I will again be able to teach a Bible study class.

For me to get out of the boat and walk on water, I’m going to need to trust Him. At some point, when He tells me to “come” or to “go” or to “do,” I’m going to have to get out of the boat and obey. As long as I keep my eyes on Jesus, I’ll be OK, but when I take my eyes off Him, I’ll sink. Again this week, I was reminded how this is a daily journey. The other night I woke up and began to think about the future and my mind wandered where it shouldn’t go. (Sometimes my mind wants to go even deeper in the tall weeds than the disease has taken me.) I was sinking. Fortunately, I was able to regain my focus, spent some time praying and thinking about God’s promises to me. His mercies were new in those early morning hours. It is my prayer that I will be faithful to His call when it comes.

God answers prayers, even short ones. When he was sinking, Peter prayed, “Lord, save me!” I am becoming a master of the short prayer. “God, give me strength for today.” “Father, thank you.” “God, I am afraid.” “You are so faithful.” “Please help me.” “Protect my family.” He hears them all.
Getting out of the boat may be hard. Some days, it takes a herculean effort to get out of the recliner. I have always thought that scripture shows Jesus to have a keen sense of humor. The other night as I was thinking about this scripture, I thought of Jesus calling to me. "Bob, it's time to get out of the boat. There is something I want you to do. It will be OK. Just get up, get out, start walking, and keep your eyes on me." As I looked at Jesus, I began to smile. In His hands he held a bag of Oreo cookies and potato chips. Looking at Jesus always cheers my heart. (Regular readers of this blog will know that Patra has used Oreo cookies and potato chips to motivate, encourage and reward me in my recovery and therapy.)

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bob: Again, we have been blessed by your blog and your stories. I am so glad to hear the stories of the children and your walk with Jesus. I am glad your treatment went well this week and you have stayed hydrated. The small quick prayers are good; we are keeping Jesus there all the time and our focus is with Him. Sorry we missed the party; probably just as good for you as Ted had a cold. We got to see our Zachary on Sunday and those precious moments with a grandchild cannot be replaced and the memories are there forever! I am so glad yours are close by and you get to experience a lot of those special "moments", I love the answer of Andrew and glad he likes his school, otherwise he might have wanted to go to college now! Are you a "dunker" or take the Oreo apart and eat the icing first? Also, they do make "low salt" chips; also I was told to switch to sea salt which we have used ever since; although I still don't use salt in things; use other spices instead. It is not that hard to lose your taste for salt and then when you eat something too salty, you don't like it.

Well, time to get "out of my boat" and go have my six-month oncology check-up this am; so I am praying for you as I drive to my doctor.

Take care my friends and yes, your ministry continues thru this blog. I know more people are reading it and wish more would comment because I know they are being blessed as well thru this blog!

Bless you my dear ones and have a "good" day and stay out of the weeds! There could be "chiggers" there!

Ted & Carol W
Mimi said…
I don't comment often...but know that we am following along with you, and pray for you daily...
Hugs,
Carol & Joe Nelson
Jenny said…
God does have something big for you, and He's already doing it through you, Dad!
Love you!
Jenny
Anonymous said…
Bob,
You are so right in your talk about prayer; God does hear and answer even the very short ones.

Also, remember that God can STOP the storm with a short command.

We have known all along that God does have something quite special for you to do. He is already using you to exhort and encourage us all through this blog each week.

We continue to pray and praise on your behalf.
See you soon in about four weeks, God willing.

We can just "SEE" Patra with those chips and cookies; truthfully, Jesus' hands could carry more of them. So run to Jesus every minute of every day.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
I really love reading your blog every Friday..I come home from work and the first thing I do is check out your blog..so happy that you had a great week...know the grandkids will put a smile on your face and having Avery will make you laugh...we had so much fun at Disney with her...Adam is such a wonderful father and know he learned that from you...am sure God has plans for you to be a wonderful grandpa too...until next week hugs and prayers your way..
Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
What a pleasure to read your encouraging thoughts for this week, dear teacher!
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow~~~~ Let's keep on keeping on trusting Him through it all!
~~~Romans 8:28 Philippians 1:6 come to mind at the moment~~~
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie
Anonymous said…
Please post when and where bible study will be because I want to come!! I think I recall Jenny saying you led men's studies....maybe I will sit in the back...
Jennifer N.
Anonymous said…
Bob,
This is Bob Adams. Janice just shared with me your weekly blog. You write from the "tall weeds" with eyes that see more inside than outside, and there is always more to see inside than outside. II Cor. 4 - "we have this treasure in earthen vessels that the surpassing glory may of God and not ourselves." You are an incarnation of that truth. Thank you!