"Unusual Uncertainty"

(Friday, July 30, 2010) “Unusual Uncertainty”
In testimony before the Senate Banking Committee last week, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke spoke of the future of the US economy in terms of “unusual uncertainty.” I understand that phrase. My “nasty little disease” has caused “unusual uncertainty.” Investors were upset by Chairman Bernanke’s admission that the future is uncertain. It made them “jittery” and as a result, the stock market fell immediately following Bernanke’s testimony. I understand that concern. I have been a little "jittery" myself and I think my own stock has fallen recently.

Uncertainty makes it hard to set goals, particularly long-term goals. I have decided against learning to play a musical instrument or learning to speak Spanish, although I am tempted whenever we walk by the Rosetta Stone booth in the mall.

I did however set an important goal this week. Lately, I have spent more time reading about the Bible than reading the Bible. It is easy to do because there are so many good Christian resources available to us. I have been reading excellent books, blogs and web sites. I have listened to wonderful podcasts. They have helped me understand the Bible and apply it to my life.

But as Hebrews 4:12 points out, it is the Word of God that is living and active, incredibly powerful. This week I was challenged and convicted as I read the testimony of a chemistry professor at one of our leading research universities who spoke of the importance of reading the Bible daily. I have decided to read through the Bible and, in just a few days, the time has been well spent. I read several chapters from the Old Testament and several chapters from the New Testament. I first read through the Bible in this manner while in law school. It has been many years since I've read the Bible cover to cover so I am excited about my new goal. (I realize this is not the best way for everyone to read the Bible – but for me, at this point in my journey, I firmly believe God will use it to His glory and my advantage.) Maybe next year, if my “unusual uncertainty” turns out well, I will read through the Bible in Spanish! Bueno!

Next week is my “rest week.” Yesterday (Thursday) was the last injection for the first “cycle” of the Velcade treatment. My initial reaction when the doctor described the treatment plan was that we not take time off to “rest.” My thought was we should keep injecting the drug until we get a positive response. After two weeks of treatment I now understand and accept the need for a rest period. Our bodies can only take so much of a good thing. I’m beginning to feel like a pin cushion. I miss the catheter (port) which was implanted for the bone marrow transplant. I wish we came into the world with a port – maybe we could trade an appendix or a spleen for a port. My veins will appreciate the week off. Looking at my arms would give someone “reasonable suspicion” to think I was abusing something.

I told my nurse that the treatments were having more of an effect upon me than I anticipated. She replied, “Yeah, it knocks you on your fanny, doesn’t it?” Yeah, that kind of sums it up. When you get knocked down, the important thing is to get back up. So I think I’ll use my rest week to get up off the floor, dust my fanny off, and see if I can’t keep my footing during the next “cycle.”

While I have a number of side effects from the treatment, the main problem is fatigue. It is more than just being “tired.” This is “hang my head,” “fall asleep in the chair,” “not enough energy to chew my food,” FATIGUE. I am also having “emotional moments” which is “weird” because I have never been an emotional person. These episodes usually occur when I read or hear about friends, particularly my young friends - the children and the infants - who are also walking through the “tall weeds.” When I think about them and the grace, strength and faith of their parents, it is hard not to be overcome with emotion.

I am confident some would say this is a good thing, that expressing my emotions is beneficial and “cleansing.” When I first told Patra that I was having these unexpected, short, intense bouts of emotion, she said, "now you know what every menopausal woman feels like." Patra knows how to make me laugh. But after thinking about it, I am withholding comment on that except to say that I do have more compassion for women now. The bottom line is that knowing me like I know me, it’s been “weird.”

I shared a couple of weeks ago that the doctor at the Mayo Clinic had given me an honest but certainly not optimistic prognosis. My heart was cheered this week when I read what Matt Chandler’s doctor told his wife in response to her question as to the best and worst-case scenarios. (Matt is the young pastor of a large church in Texas who suffered a seizure last Thanksgiving Day and subsequently had surgery for a malignant brain tumor.)

“The best-case scenario is that God heals you. . . The worst-case scenario, honestly, is that you get killed in a car wreck on your way home today.”

Now that is a wise doctor.

Patra and I are overwhelmed by your continued responses of love and concern. This journey has lasted long enough that we sometimes fear our friends must be getting tired of walking with us. But you have stuck with us and we are humbled and honored and blessed beyond measure by your support and prayers. Thank you!

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your continued wit and wisdom still amazes me! You speak from your heart and there are emotions there that maybe you hadn't really thought about before. Yes, "nasty" diseases change you both physically and emotionally and your faith is what is important and yes, we don't know what God has in store for us, but we must stay the course and "let God". I know I should read my Bible more and study, and you teach us such good "life lessons". Thank you for that. Emotions, yes, your whole body reacts differently when it is "invaded" and there are blessings to be emotionally touched by what is going on in other's lives, especially those of children. I totally understand because I continue to experience those emotions as well. God has given us a special insight. Rest when you need to rest, take one day at a time. Keep your nutrients going; even if it is Boost, Ensure, etc. Your sense of humor is so encouraging as well my friend!! I still have trouble remembering the little Spanish I have picked up from my daughter-in-law and I am sure I need to learn more with Zachary being bi-lingual! I am surprised they took your port out? I had mine for seven years!
Take care my friends!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
What a joy to get on your blog, dear teacher -- I thank God that YOU were able to write it AGAIN!!! I was expecting that it would be written this week by your faithful wife or by one of your dear daughters!! It is hard to hear of your having to go through all this,Bob. We hope you feel better - I thank God for your coherent mind. - God gave us emotions, too! Your humor and Patra's comments brought a few needed chuckles!!! Thanks!!!!!!

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow~~~~"God is good all the time", as you so often would say during your teachings in Bible Class.
Yes, God's Word - "...sharper than any twoedged sword..." - an amazing thought, isn't it?!
I Peter 5:7,8 comes to mind: (Also verse 6,9,10 as I checked the Wording):
6 "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time:

7 Casting all your care on Him: for He cares for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, Who has called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you..."

As we continue to pray for His strength & courage in all kinds of way,Philippians 4:13 Joshua 1:9
Matthew 6:10 II Corinthians 1:3,4...

Take care. Praying with continued hope that God reveals to the doctors,etc how to help you heal...and that God blesses you, your dear family & friends, according to His will~~~~
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie Quarles (Dave hasn't seen this blog yet, but we continue to pray together for you)
Anonymous said…
Bob and Patra,
Remember that it took 116 years to fight the 100 years war; in light of that, you are moving right along.
Be assured that we are in this for the long haul. We will not be detoured.
We continue to pray and praise on your behalf. We continue to LOVE you and have you in our hearts.
We would be less than truthful if we say we haven't questioned; however, we are CERTAIN that our God is there with you and that HE LOVES you more than any human can.
So, please hang in there knowing that lots of people are pulling for you.
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Hello to all of you. We've been in North Carolina for a bit so I havent been very current on any kind of news lately - which was really kind of nice. Glad you got one treatment session behind you and hoping your rest week turns out to be just that. It's so awesome that you can keep your sense of humor through all of these ups and downs you've encountered. (However I think Patra brought me my smile of the day with the menopause comment.Good call Girl!)I felt like we were a little closer to God when we were in the mountains, so I'm hoping some of my prayers for you and your family maybe got to him a little faster those days. Sending our love and thoughts. Love all of you. Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob & Patra,

This is our first time on your blog as we just now got your info from Sarah W. We pray for you each day. We love the pictures.
Milt & Phyllis
Anonymous said…
Mr. Bugg,
You continue to be one of my heros!
Keep up the good fight and the great, inspiring, God-glorifying and amazing writing.
Jennifer N.
When i was little ( many years ago) and growing up in Oregon we were surrounded by fields of tall weeds and grasses. One day the neighborhood little rascals found a huge piece of cardboard and drug it to the middle of the tall weeds creating a secret sanctuary. We would lay for hours on our backs looking at clouds, eating wild blackberries and basking in the warm sun surrounded by the safety of those weeds. I hadn't thought about this much until I read your tall weeds comment. I am one of those parents who is navigating the tall weeds today with 3 special kids who haven't caught a break since their births. Your post is a good reminder that it's possible to find sanctuary in the midst of the weeds as long as you have the guidebook tucked under your arm. While you're resting this week be sure to look up at the clouds.
I wish I had the words (though I often possess too many) to express my complete fascination with you. Christ in you. Odd wording but I suppose it is due to this beautiful mixture of candor, wit, hilarious humor, sensitivity, and deep abiding love of Christ all rolled into this person that is you. On top of it, we get this wonderful glimpse of it in your writing. And I believe when we write, we pour out more of ourselves then we do with the spoken word so it seems more pure in a way. I feel completely full of myself to talk about how your writing and wisdom affects ME rather than talk about YOU.Yet your sidebar says you hope to bless someone so that someone is ME! I continually walk away from a post you have written...changed somehow. Is that weird? I feel weird to admit that yet God is at work through you in a way that seems so GINORMOUS! I am still laughing about being born with a PORT. And the emotion you are so in touch with...amazing. This blog is a tool of the Almighty. And I smiled that you wonder about any of us sticking with you along this journey. How can we not? If you forget, look back on my infinite amount of words for you to read. I mean, you just said you are "too tired to chew your food" kind of tired. Did you take two naps reading this thing? Sorry. Being concise is not possible for me.
Anonymous said…
Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.
Anonymous said…
http://eekshop.com
Use short feathering heart attacks and concentrate colour everywhere over the going to be the go above and beyond beds and borders of brows. To help to increase their shape, consult an all in one professional which of you can assist your family in your completely direction all the way to an shape does rarely ever fit all are Follow their bits of advice at a completely new one to have a little help from a brow-shaping kit slightly like Benefit Brow Zings.