"Living Day by Day"

(Friday, July16, 2010) “Living Day by Day”

“An Update on Andrew”

Last week I asked you to pray for our grandson, Andrew (5). This is Jenny’s update.

"We met with the neurosurgeon at All Children's Hospital today [Wednesday, July 14.] All in all, the appointment went very well. … Andrew has something called Chiari Malformation. Basically, the base of his brain (the cerebellum) extends down past where a normal person's brain would stop. Therefore, it's creating a sort of cork at the base of his skull which hinders the flow of important spinal fluids up and down the spinal column and around his brain. … After speaking with Andrew and asking him to perform a few "tricks" for him, the doctor looked at us, grinning. "He is doing remarkably well!" He went on to say that, by looking at the MRI images, he would have been very concerned for the child the images belonged to. But in looking at our boy, live and in person, he was greatly encouraged. One thing I am most grateful for was his conservative, sympathetic approach to the treatment options. He told us that he could do surgery. He could make the "picture (referring to MRI image) look prettier", but if the condition was having such little effect on Andrew, he was reluctant to do something just to make his brain "look" more normal. So, in about six weeks, we'll go back to the hospital for a day of tests, including a full MRI of his spine (we need to see whether spinal fluid is being inhibited from flowing properly by that "cork effect" I mentioned). At that point, we'll talk about the surgery v. wait-and-see approach. … A lot of new information, but our hearts are just abounding with grateful praise. We know it could be much worse, and we thank God for protecting our boy these last five years from more significant symptoms. We're thankful for a kind, smart doctor and for the prayers and thoughtful wishes of all our friends!” Jenny

“I will live my life day by day, but with eternity clearly in view.”

From the day of my diagnosis, people have repeatedly advised me to live one day at a time. I have tried to envision living my life two days at a time or a week at a time. I’m not sure how you would do that. I have decided there is no other way to live than one day at a time. That is the way God intended us to live. “This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24 NASB. If I didn't live day by day, I would definitely miss some of His blessings. "The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23 NASB But I have also learned that I must live my life with eternity clearly in view. That is also the way God intended us to live.

Tuesday night I received a call from Moffitt. Unfortunately, my most recent test results were significantly worse than just a month ago. My kidneys are throwing off a lot of protein. Therefore, I will begin treatment on Monday with Velcade, a drug which has demonstrated some success in multiple myeloma and amyloidosis patients.

After the phone call, Patra asked if I was OK. "Yes, I am OK, but I was really hoping for different news. I will live my life day by day, but with eternity clearly in view." One of the reasons this new phase is difficult to accept is because clinically I am doing very well. I am definitely getting stronger, definitely losing a lot of the fluid and enjoying working part time. Patra and I have gone to dinner a couple of times on Clearwater Beach. A short drive and a quick dinner and we felt like we were on vacation. I am hoping that we will be able to continue with all the positive developments.
We thank you so much for all of the prayer support we have had.

So how does one live day by day but with eternity clearly in view. My family doctor told me several years ago that the formula for a healthy and active life was really simple. (Provided of course, you don't get blindsided by a "nasty little disease.") Diet and exercise. That's it. But so many people want the magic bullet, the newest contraption advertised on TV. Diet and exercise are too familiar to them and therefore can't possibly be enough. I think the same thing is true spiritually. The best way for me to live day by day but with eternity clearly in view is to daily spend time in God's Word and daily spend time in prayer. Bible study and prayer. Almost sounds too simple. Surely there must be a magic bullet, a new path.
And as I seek to live one day at a time next week there are some practical things I must do as we begin the next phase of the journey.
  • I must put the bone marrow transplant behind me. (I confess that I wonder why we had to go through an apparently unsuccessful bone marrow transplant.)

  • I need to get my good friend “TUB” ready for action. I struggled with nausea and vomiting while hospitalized. I couldn't have made it without “TUB.” (Throw Up Bucket) According to our Internet research, Velcade has many of the same side effects as the transplant chemo. It looks like “TUB” and I will renew our acquaintance.

  • Jenny and Emily are officially put on notice that they may need to fill in for me with the blog. I want them to have time to think of some nice things to say about their “old man.”

  • I will count my blessings. Yes, blessings! Patra and I realize the many ways God has blessed us. When we list the blessings, naming them one by one, seeing what God has done (if that doesn’t bring a song to your mind, you didn’t grow up 50 years ago in a Baptist church) we are truly grateful. We are walking through some “tall weeds”** at the moment, but with eternity clearly in view, the blessings far exceed these temporary trials. “For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.” 2 Corinthians 4:17

So, I will live day by day, but with eternity clearly in view.
Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob
**
My good and wise friend Tom Bentzel first used the words "tall weeds" in an encouraging email to me early in this journey. It has proven to be a very apt metaphor.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We are so grateful for the mercy and grace God has given us. I breathed a sigh of relieve upon reading about Andrews situation & will continue to keep him in our prayers; that the spinal fluid is flowing the way it should be. Also praying for you and Patra as you continue this journey. I know it is hard sometimes when we get the discouraging news; but your journey has far-reaching effects that you may never understand but God has a purpose for. My friend and doctor of oriental medicine may be able to help you if the nausea & vomiting occurs on this new medicine. If you would like, I will gladly give you her name & number; she is right on Bryan Dairy just east of Belcher and she is wonderful. Let me know. Thank you also for reminding me to take "one day at a time". I constantly forget that one - I am always worried about what is going to happen down the road; I need to enjoy today and thank God for it! We are so blessed to know you and Patra and your family and their strength and love thru this journey and know you are loved back, for sure! Take care, have a good day, enjoy the joys and blessings of the day!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
From Ruthie:
"Until next Friday. God willing." You are quite amazing to be able to write such a blog as this, Bob. I remember our son saying to me when he about 8 years old: "Mom, it doesn't matter if we are here on Earth or with God in heaven, we are with Him wherever we go."
One day at a time.. Our prayers are with you all - and especially Andrew, too - May 'His peace that passes all understanding keep our hearts and minds on Him.'from
Philippians 4:7 continuing into verses 8 & 9.
Thinking of the hymn, "Be strong in the Lord" and be of good courage; Your mighty Defender is always the same...Be strong in the Lord; And rejoice, for the victory is yours."
from Dave:
I'm glad that you are able to be with your children and grandchildren.
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Q.
Surviving 4 said…
I just have to tell you, I hate TUB. Just reading about him brings on a bout of nausea in me and, I suspect, Jenny. :) But your mentioning him allows me to draw from a specific time in my life in order to pray for YOU.

Lord, I pray for Mr. Bugg and ask for Your hand of mercy to be on him as he begins the Velcade. The research isn't reassuring, but You, Lord, are bigger than any drug. It may seem like a small request to some, in light of the overwhelming big picture, but I pray that You will release this brother in Christ from the side effects of nausea and vomiting. (Humanly speaking, there are few things more miserable, I think.) Yet I pray for the effectiveness of the drug, or better yet, Your miraculous healing.

Thank you for the weekly updates! I find such encouragement in your walk with God, and will continue to pray for you and your wonderful family.

Blessings,
Kari Mattingly
Anonymous said…
Dear, dear friend,
We appreciate much your weekly updates. One day at a time is the only way to do it. Sometimes we try to run ahead, but are reminded that God's way is the BEST way.
We do continue to pray, praise and love you. Our hearts are there.
Today, we have prayed again and again that the treatments will not hinder the good things that you have been able to do such as eating out, working and enjoying your family as well as church, etc. and that the treatments will accomplish the goal of complete healing.
God knows you and loves you even better than we do. He truly knows your heart and will continue to be with you at all times in all situations.
Just keep remembering all of us.
Love,
Lex and Linda