"You look good."

(Friday, June 11, 2010) “You look good.”
Next Thursday (July 17) I return to Moffitt to check on the edema (swelling). Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any improvement in that regard. Every time I look in the mirror, it reminds me of film clips from the end of World War II when American troops liberated the concentration camps. I look like a “holocaust survivor.” The muscles in my shoulders and upper body have atrophied and my upper body is “skin and bone.” My belly is distended (swelling). I would say that my body shape is like a pear but that would insult the fruit industry. Patra’s cure is “stop looking in the mirror.”

With my grandchildren so young, I often think about how they will remember their grandfather. I fear sometimes they will only remember me as being “sick.” So it was a very special moment this week when Andrew (5 years old) ran over to me as he was leaving the house and unprompted by any adult said, “Grandpa, when you get well, you have to take Austin (his cousin) and me to McCabe’s for breakfast.” He remembers our Saturday morning trips to breakfast. I can assure you, when I am physically able, he and I are going out for breakfast! (I’ll even teach him about a low sodium diet.)

Since we walk most days at the mall, I am definitely a “mallrat.” One night this week while we were walking, we passed a young men’s clothing store and I told Patra, “that’s what I need.” In the window on a mannequin was a “muscle shirt” – a sleeveless workout shirt. My wonderfully supportive wife immediately said “you look scary enough.” She knew that would make me laugh.

Later that same evening, as we were finishing our walk, we saw a young man we have known many years. He grew up in our neighborhood and was a good friend of our son. In addition to playing all sports, whenever a neighbor would discard furniture, appliances or Christmas trees, they would drag them home to repair, rebuild or construct a fort. He is now married, has his own business and a beautiful 2 year old son. When he saw us walking, he came over. “Mr. Bugg, you look great.” (Remember this is the “holocaust survivor” whose loving wife said he looked “scary” only 20 minutes earlier.) I wanted to thank him but I was preoccupied gulping down my bottled water. Since we were near the end of our walk, my focus necessarily had to be on breathing and standing up right. But Josh continued. “You look really good; you look like you’re getting stronger. Keep up the good work.” What an encourager! He was stretching credulity but it sure made me feel good. He made me feel like I could run a lap around the mall and I would have except for the fact that I needed to quickly get to the car and collapse.

But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV

Patra and I have been blessed by many encouragers who have strengthened and comforted us. Thank you!

I wanted to give a quick update to those who regularly read the blog. I have learned that one of the important requirements for an “ambassador” is to be a good listener. Recently at work, someone walked into my private office and shut the door. They proceeded to share their story of a difficult personal journey. My mind immediately went to my recent blog entry and my desire to be an ambassador for Christ to this person in need. I was thinking of what I might say to help. After several minutes of sharing, he thanked me and opened the door and walked out. I had said almost nothing. No words of advice, no magic bullet to solve the problem, no recommendations. Yet I felt like I had been an encourager and a comfort. I was a good ambassador … just by listening!

Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Friday morning,
You've come a LONG way, Bob - remember that! Remember those others at Moffitt that you mentioned a few weeks ago that didn't have the privilege of going home? And how thankful you were to be able to do that?
My father, when I was in "Junior High School, had come down with pleurisy and was out of his bakery work for a year! God provided a baker and others to help keep it all going at such a time as that.
Yes, he recovered with renewed health and strength, returned to work at his Bahmiller's Bakery for another 15 more years or more!
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!
Reminds me of the hymn, "Count your many blessings, count them one by one.... and see what God has done"! Isaiah 40:28-31 & also Isaiah 26:3,4~~~~
For you and Patra to keep on with such love and encouragement to each other - and for you to be able keep in touch in so many ways, plus writing with this blog - you are encouraging us, which enables us to be able to encourage you, too.... amazing!! "God is good all the time"- Praise Father, Son and Holy Spirit! Colossians 1:9-14
In Christ's love and prayers,
Ruthie Q. (Dave hasn't seen this blog yet)
Anonymous said…
Hey Bob and Patra,
Well, as we are walking up and down these TN hills, we remember the cool walks in the mall. While the temps here are not bad EARLY in the morning and LATE in the evening, the in between gets a bit warm. So we hit the hills between 7 and 7:30 AM.
Bob, we are anxious for you to be able to get rid of the fluid build up too. We are praying that the doctor will have a successful option for you to try when you see her on Thursday.
As far as your looks, you look GOOD to us. Of course, you don't have your nice figure back yet; however, we are believing that will occur. The hard part is the waiting and the patience. Those are challenges for all of us.
We continue to pray and praise and love you. As much as any of us can love you, Jesus loves you more, and HE will work and is working in and through you. We rest in that assurance also.
Thanks for keeping us posted,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Again, Bob, we feel so blessed to share in your journey and know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers multiple times a day. It was so good to see you last Sunday, your eyes tell your story and we see the faith and tenderness there for us as well as all who are on this journey with you.

Your testimony continues to come through during this ordeal and we know the Lord's hands are in it all.

May you continue to build strength and I know it is hard to get rid of "fluids" expecially in our summer heat.

Take care my friend; leaving to take care of the grandbaby today & I know you share in the joy of seeing the little ones that God has blessed us with.

Take care and see you soon!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Mr Bugg,
You certainly are an ambassador and encourager. You writing inspires and the way you share your struggles with such openness is so refreshing.
I think you should write a book.
Jennifer N.
Anonymous said…
[url=http://garciniacambogiaselectz.weebly.com]
health benefits of garcinia cambogia[/url] is the superior adipose burning force out present in hawk contemporarily a days. Yield upto 10 kg in 1 month. garcinia cambogia select