"HOPE - Confident Expectation"

(Friday, June 18, 2010)
It has been a good week. I was able to mediate 3 cases this week and drove myself to the office twice. We went to Moffitt yesterday. I lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks so the diuretic seems to be working. We were looking for slow and steady loss of fluids without dehydration so that is going well. Now if we can just get some good numbers in a couple of months on the kidney front. Please keep praying for those good numbers!

My hair is growing back! I am going to need a haircut soon. Unfortunately, hair growth also means I have to shave again. It was pretty nice having a few months off from having to shave.

I am also encouraged by the fact that I have more energy and a desire to spend time studying. Several weeks ago I wasn’t sure I would ever be able to teach again because I didn’t have the energy to prepare a lesson. In the last couple of weeks, I have enjoyed doing some topical studies. I thought I’d share some edited thoughts from a study I have been working on. It is significant to me for a number of reasons. I have a number of friends (including some new friends) who are walking a similar journey. They have taught me a great deal about how we should walk. As Christians, we are able to make it through this journey because of the HOPE we have. Your journey may not be a life-threatening illness. You may be walking through a financial crisis or a relational crisis, difficulties in a marriage or difficulties with a child. No matter what kind of “tall weeds” you may be walking through, you need HOPE.

If a person doesn’t have HOPE, they are in trouble. This is easily demonstrated by merely thinking of the opposite of hope – hopeless.

“HOPE - Confident Expectation”

The Bible uses some really important words. Faith, love, atonement, repentance, sin, salvation, trust, belief. The list goes on. Often we hear these words or use these words without really understanding what they mean or appreciating all they mean. In my journey with this “nasty little disease,” these words have very real and important implications.

HOPE. Please understand that I have not “arrived.” We are not at the end of our journey – we don’t know where we will end up or how long it will take to get there. It appears that more difficult days may be in front of us. Some days are better than others. I don’t have all the answers and I know I don’t. But at the end of every day, when the lights are out, the house is quiet and Patra and I are alone, we often comment about how well we are doing. Even “under the circumstances” we are doing well. We know that would not be possible were it not for HOPE. HOPE is a very important word to us.
Biblical HOPE is different. We use the word hope often in everyday conversation. “I hope the Rays win tonight.” “I hope it doesn’t rain during our family picnic.” “I hope I get good presents on Father’s Day.” (The foregoing commercial was for the benefit of my three wonderful children!)

As we make this specific journey, I often think in “hopeful” terms. “I hope I keep getting stronger.” “I hope the tests come back better in September.” “I hope my fluid levels stay balanced.” “I hope I will be able to work this week.” Using hope in that way, it is really nothing more than wishful thinking, a possibility. I have no idea whether those “hopes” will come true. They are not solid or firm; there is nothing about my “hopes” that I can hang my hat on.
In the New Testament, the Greek word for HOPE, elpis, is different. It doesn’t refer to wishful thinking. This word for HOPE refers to something that is firm, solid, grounded, real, assured. It refers to something we can bank on. The word elpis means “confident expectation.”
Biblical HOPE is not dependent on me, it is grounded in God.
The refrain of the hymn “My HOPE is Built” states clearly, “On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand.” My “confident expectation” rests in the character and promises of God. Where do you place your hope?
A few years ago, I had high hopes in the stock market. The charts we prepared showed that if I continued to work hard (and long enough), I should be able to retire comfortably. Sinking sand? Within the past year, I expressed the hope that I would continue to mediate a high number of cases for at least another 5 years. I had a lot of hope in myself and my physical ability to be able to do that. Sinking sand? Wishful thinking? Yes.

But my HOPE , my “confident expectation,” is in God. He has never failed me (or anyone else). He will keep all of His promises. He is able to deliver. He is all powerful, all knowing. He is love.
I have probably gone too long in this “short” summary, but I want to leave you with one great verse on HOPE.
“Now may the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13 NASB)
Until next Friday. God willing.
Bob

Comments

Jenny said…
I often say that I don't know how people go through difficult times without knowing Jesus. And you summarized the reason why - our sure HOPE in Him. "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness... I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus name!"

Oh, and on a side note... duly noted about the Father's Day gifts. Just to give you a heads up... Andrew's already decided that he's going to give you "One Whole Dollar!" for Father's Day.

Maybe you can put it towards a haircut.
Anonymous said…
Yes, I agree - Hope is one of my favorite words. It was what got me thru my treatments and hopefully (ha,ha) I gave hope to others as I shared my testimony over the years about what the Lord did for me when I had my cancer. I could see their eyes light up when I told them I had 10 positive lymph nodes and - "here I am! Fat & Sassy! If that gave an inspiration to keep on keeping on. then my journey was worth it. The Lord has a reason for each journey we take and which path we will need to walk. Yes, we all got "muddled" sometimes in what is going on in the moment, but we take the few seconds to reflect back during our day or our week, we all can then say - I saw or heard about a person that had a lot bigger problem or concern that I had and then our "problem" doesn't seem to big after all. I have been reminded of that over and over and I am great! I am tired tonight, but I am great. My computer is trying to trying to defeat me on my powerpoint presentation for My Dad for Sunday, but my sister just sent me another way to try to convert the music so I told her I would look at it in the morning when I am "fresh" again. So take care, have a wonderful Fathers Day and don't spend that dollar in one place!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Hello. So happy to hear you are getting stronger, able to work and drive and your hair is growing back! That's an awesome report this week. Hope you have a blessed Father's Day with all your family. We send our love. I really enjoyed your message today.
~~Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Hey, Friends,
The thoughts about HOPE were timely for us to read. We have just returned from LV where there seem to be so many young people with hopelessness written on their faces. As we observed those girls who looked so young, as mothers, our hearts went out to them knowing that they are someone's babies.
Even though we were not out late in the pm, it was a heart breaking sight.
On a positive note however, we met with an alum who is helping in a church there. He sees much hope through their work there. Praise GOD!!
Bob, we are glad to hear the positive news about your working, your driving, your hair growing back and your strength improving. We do keep praying for that kidney situation. God is able; we keep praying that the kidneys will respond to the treatment.
Good to hear from you.
Thanks for sharing.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
The other man stayed inside and talked with his mother, while the first manwalked him out to his car and leaned against the hood. The other problem was that Melvin and I wanted more than one child,and we had wanted them close in years of age, but nature played byits own rules.
short beastiality stories with men
forced bondage fantasy comming true stories
free adult lesbian stories
nifty free sex stories
post your sex stories
The other man stayed inside and talked with his mother, while the first manwalked him out to his car and leaned against the hood. The other problem was that Melvin and I wanted more than one child,and we had wanted them close in years of age, but nature played byits own rules.