"A Great Father's Day"

(Friday, June 25, 2010)
I had a great Father’s Day. Jenny’s gift was a bag of potato chips which made me laugh. (I do wish I could find where Patra hid those chips. By the time I finished opening my other gifts, those chips had disappeared. If you are new to my blog, you may wish to go to the blog entry for March 31, "Boys Will Be Boys" or click POTATO CHIPS to appreciate Jenny's gift.) I also received photographs of the grandkids, some clothes and wonderful cards.

Andrew (5) gave me $1.07 but later asked me to check and make sure his “shiny quarter” didn’t somehow mistakenly get in the mix that went to Grandpa. He seemed pleased when I told him that I planned to spend his gift on chewing gum for both of us.

Walking the mall every night definitely paid off for me this Father's Day. Every night as we walked by the kiosk in the center of the mall, I would stop and watch demonstrations of remote controlled helicopters. Patra surprised me with my own small remote controlled helicopter. Now, I sit in my recliner and fly it around the living room. My goal is to get proficient enough to fly it out of the living room through the door into the kitchen and back out to me. Megan and Avery (8 months) love to watch it hover above the coffee table. Andrew (5) is already a pretty good pilot and when Austin (4) comes, I’m sure he will be able to take it apart and repair any damage from the crashes. (Yes, there have been a few dramatic moments but thankfully no injuries.) I have had more fun with my helicopter!

On Monday morning I made my first solo shopping trip to a store since my transplant. I had to get batteries for my helicopter! On Sunday, we “borrowed” batteries from every remote in the house. It’s not good when you have to make a choice between being able to fly your helicopter or watch TV. Now, if a hurricane comes, we can take the batteries out of the helicopter and listen to the radio for emergency instructions.

Patra and I are going to the Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville) for a consultation next week. I am so pleased with all of the care I receive at Moffitt but there is concern about what the future holds in light of the fact that the recent tests did not show that the bone marrow transplant has yet “worked.” We look forward to having another pair of eyes review my case. Once again, your prayers for a safe trip and good information would be appreciated.

This will be our first “road trip” since my diagnosis. Immediately after my transplant I did not want to be more than a few minutes from Moffitt and my doctors. I am improving in that I am willing to venture this far from home, although we will break the trip up by stopping for one night in Gainesville, spending time with Emily, James and Austin. (There is no truth to the rumor that I intentionally made Gainesville part of our itinerary because it is home to Shands Teaching Hospital. But that is comforting to know, isn’t it?)

A part of me is excited about taking an “out of town trip” but the reality is that I still need an afternoon nap and I will be asleep no later than 9:00 p.m. I was never much of a “party animal” but even my life has slowed down considerably.

The Mayo web site states that there are only 3,000 diagnosed cases of amyloidosis a year in the United States. With a population of 300,000,000 Americans, that means my odds of getting this “nasty little disease” were 1 in 100,000. I went on the internet and learned I had better odds of marrying a supermodel. (Patra reminded me that I did!*) Statistically then, out of 20,000,000 Floridians, about 200 of us will be diagnosed this year with amyloidosis. I can’t tell you how special I feel!

Patra will need to prepare food for our trip because a “low sodium” diet is definitely not compatible with eating out at restaurants. One meal at a fast food restaurant exhausts my daily sodium allowance. I will try to be good but I am probably going to cheat a little (after I see the doctor) on the trip home. I can already hear a whopper calling my name.

Until next Friday. God willing.

Bob
* Special thanks to Floyd

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so glad you had a good Fathers Day. What a special family you have. Have you bought the gum yet? Don't chew it all it once, you want to spread the enjoyment over several days for sure! The helicopter sounds like fun and spare batteries are always a good idea! We celebrated Fathers Day bringing Daddy back to mom's. My brother was off so he could transport him. He was pretty coherent and enjoyed the meal immensely and ate everything (of course, we made his favorites)!! I made a powerpoint presentation of his life and had music with it, etc, but my sister's computer wouldn't play the music so a little disappointed. I chose the song "My Dad" by Paul Peterson from 1962. He played the son on the Donna Reed show. I searched for that song and it was still in print and it is still one of my favorites, the other was Wind Beneath My Wings! Sounds like your family knows you as their "hero" also. I know your SS class does! We will pray for your trip to Jacksonville and for the best results! The stop in the middle sounds fun as well and will be "refreshed" for the rest of the trip. You are a "rare" individual even without the diagnosis of amyloidosis and have a special place in our hearts and we continue to share your journey with you my friend. Take care and God bless!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob,
We can just see tht helicopter zooming about your house. Try hard not to have a crash and splatter all over. Sounds like you and your grandsons will have much fun with that one. Patra is a wise woman making such good choices. You agree, right? Look who she chose to be her hubby!!

We will be praying as you take your big trip. We are praying right now that the Lord is preparing those doctors with, even as we speak, new knowledge of that "nasty disease."

Good to hear of your solo trip to the grocery, as long as you didn't buy potato chips. However, a Big Mac does sound rather tempting even this early in the AM.

Give everyone our love.

We continue to pray and praise on your behalf and LOVE you.

Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Our thoughts and prayers are with you for your journey and trip to Mayo...Really loved being with you all on Father's Day..so nice to be included..love Jon/Marilyn
Anonymous said…
Keep flying dear brother! All of this makes us appreciate the really simple things in life...fun, family, laughter and friends. There is not a day that goes by that we do not pray for you and Patra. God has begun a good work in you and will continue it....You are a warrior for Him! Keep fighting. We love you...The Barnaky Boys Club