"A Quart Low"

Friday, May 21, 2010 “A Quart Low”

Yesterday (Thursday) turned out to be a more eventful day than we originally planned. I was scheduled to go to Moffitt for tests; but when I woke up, I told Patra, “I feel a quart low.”

When the nurse took my vital signs, she said, “Oh, Mr. Bugg.” I had heard that statement and tone before, and I knew it wasn’t good. Sure enough, orthostatic blood pressure testing confirmed that I was dehydrated. So, after completing a bone survey, I spent the afternoon receiving I.V. fluid and albumin (a protein used to try and make sure the fluid goes where it is suppose to.) I am still having problems retaining fluid, so it is always a balancing act to give me the proper amount of fluid to combat the dehydration.

Since my I.V. started at noon, Patra and I ate bag lunch sandwiches. For those of you who have followed the blog, you will be pleased to know that there was a bag of salty potato chips in my bag. Patra just looked at me and we both laughed. I remember as a child my parents would give me a treat when I went to the doctor. Since our plans changed (and I was going to spend an extra 5 hours at the clinic), we both realized that the chips would be my treat.

Our day at Moffitt reminded me that I am so blessed. Patra and I have been home for over a month. A transplant patient who was discharged from the hospital the same day I was is still living in the transitional apartments and hoping that he will be allowed to go home today. Another patient finished his transplant before me and arrived at the clinic still having to use a wheelchair.

I am really looking forward to going to church this Sunday for the first time since my hospitalization. All week I have thought about a verse that I learned as a very young boy. King David really had it right. “I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord.” (Psalms 122:1 NASB)

I returned to work this week. I mediated one case. It was so good for me. Fortunately I was not dehydrated that day. Although I was very tired when it concluded, it was professionally very satisfying. I still thoroughly enjoy being a mediator. Below is a picture of my “first day of work.” Notice the lack of a tie. I woke up that morning and could not imagine putting a tie around my neck. I’m not sure I even remember how to tie a tie. (I have thought about trying to encourage a dress code of sweat pants and t-shirts for the mediator.)

DSCN3993

Comments

Pat Murphy Findlan said…
You look good, Bob! Coat's a little baggy. Good excuse for a shopping trip, we ladies always say.

Not everyone thanks the Lord for allowing them to go to work. Perspective,,, gratitude... a victory!

Praying for the day you make it to work 5 days in a row.
Anonymous said…
Bob,
The professional look suits you well. Maybe the tie could be deleted from the outfit always. As a professor many years and wearing a tie every day, the first thing to go was the tie when I retired.
We are so happy to see your progress and continue to pray and praise on your behalf.
Keep up those walks and that great determination of yours. You and Patra make a good team. Cheating occasionally is quite healthy I am told.
Love you,
Lex and Linda
Anonymous said…
Dear Bob & Patra,
It's wonderful to see your happy smile! Praise God that you you had the health & opportunity to mediate again! Thanks for sharing with us!
They still put potato chips in those bags ~~~~must have been great for a laugh together!!!!
Dave and I will specifically pray that the doctors figure out how to help with the dehydration concern.
Your desire to be at church is such a testimony of your life, dear teacher....It's been a joy that Patra could join us...
Psalm 37:4-5 "Delight thyself in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass."
As He leads and may His will be done in our lives...
In Christ's love & prayers,
Ruthie & Dave Quarles
MIgirls said…
Mr Bugg,
Thanks for continuing to share your journey over your blog! (and to all your great blog helpers)! We continue to check in and pray for often.
Blessings,
Lisa (Adams) Thomas (& Steve too)
Anonymous said…
Bob: So glad to see your post again. I do apologize for not answering right away; but our computer was on the "fritz" since Thursday night so finally was back up tonight. I got a good chuckle about the potato chips; I too, need to avoid salt, but every once in a while; you just "gotta". I do sometimes buy the low sodium or the kettle chips but try not to get them too often. Sorry you were a "quart" low. I felt that way yesterday & today after working on planting flowers. I was totally drained yesterday, took me the rest of the day to recover. Still sore today though and we put together a shelf for the garage and rearranged all that was on the previous shelf that was so tilted, I felt it was going to cave in at any moment. You look just fine for your mediation; I know you were anxious.
You and Patra make a very good team & if you went to church this am, I am sorry we missed you. Awaiting the cable guy to come to fix the computer. Take care & have a good week!
Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
We're here on a daily basis...praying and hoping for God's continued touch on your family and all those who He is using to work on your body. Bob, we thank God for your journey of triump through the difficult days that have been your constant companion. At this Thanksgiving time, we can say with complete sincerity, "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer making requests...
(Emily - thank you for your regular posts to keep us up on your dad's progress)
Ritchie Oldham Hale