"Meet the Neighbors"

Last Friday, Patra accompanied the girls and grandchildren to Busch Gardens. Adam was assigned the responsibility to babysit me. Although I wasn’t feeling great, I asked him to take me to the Christian bookstore to buy a Mother’s Day card.

As soon as I entered the store, I began to get light-headed. I quickly selected a card and proceeded to the checkout counter.

I can only imagine how bad I must have looked. Here was a skinny bald guy who was having trouble breathing (much less talking) with his son trying to keep him upright. I was afraid I would pass out, which would probably not be good for business and rather distracting to the other customers behind me. (I just hate it when that happens.)

Then, in one of those special moments of grace, the employee reached across the counter, took my arm and began to pray a prayer of healing for me. I confess that one of the best parts of her praying was that I now had an excuse to close my eyes. I also confess that I silently prayed that her prayer not be too long or I would be saying “Amen” from the floor. When she finished, I couldn’t say much of anything but somehow completed my purchase and Adam got me to the car.

In a couple of weeks, when I am feeling good, I want to go back and thank her. I pray that her act of kindness will be an inspiration to me when I see others who are in distress.

We have had several special friends come visit with us the last couple of weeks. Thanks! On Saturday morning, two of the men in my Bible study came over with their wives to walk with me. After our walk, Patra made breakfast and we had a great time of fellowship. Before they left, they prayed for Patra and for me. I couldn’t help but think that their physically walking with me was a picture of how they and many others have “walked with me” through this journey. I appreciate them giving up a Saturday morning to encourage and support me. I pray that I will remember to “walk with others” who need encouragement and support.

Patra says she had a great Mother’s Day because she was able to spend time with all of the children and grandchildren. After we posted my picture last week with the grandchildren, I knew she couldn’t wait until Mother’s Day to get her own picture.

IMG_7153

Today I finish my trilogy of children stories. I thank Jenny, Emily and Adam for everything we have learned together and for allowing me to share “their stories.”

IMG_7181

"Meet the Neighbors"

Adam was born in full motion. He never needed time to get his motor running. He was never malicious or mean spirited but as a young boy he often got into “predicaments” because he was always busy and active. We knew early on that some day he would be involved with law enforcement - we just didn’t know how he might be involved. Fortunately when he graduated from college he went to work “on their side” as a police officer.

A couple of weeks after we moved into our current home, Adam celebrated his 5th birthday. He came home from his party and proudly emptied his bag of presents. As the toys fell out of the bag one caught my attention – a SLINGSHOT.

We immediately had a very clear discussion and laid down the rules. He was not allowed to use the slingshot without me present. “Do you understand?” “I understand.”

Within seconds of our discussion, and while I was assembling a toy, there was a very loud knocking at the front door. When I opened the door, there was a large, angry man with one hand around my son’s neck and his other hand rubbing his own neck. My eyes focused immediately on the SLINGSHOT which was hanging from Adam’s left hand.

[My son, only moments after receiving my clear instructions about the SLINGSHOT, had gone outside with his SLINGSHOT, picked up a rock in the yard and shot my neighbor in the neck. Adam has always been very athletic and lo, these 25 years later, I must acknowledge that he made quite a shot through a moving car’s passenger window before hitting the driver in the neck. ]

Although I had never met my neighbor before this occasion, it did not seem like an appropriate time to introduce myself and young son. He seemed very angry. Moreover, he wanted to take it out on ME. Even back then, I had a keen interest in conflict resolution (particularly when it involved saving my own skin) and I knew that this would require all of my professional skills. (Please do not attempt this at home.)

There were a number of things I had to do. I had to get his left hand away from my son’s neck without having him then place both of his hands around MY neck. Fortunately, my neighbor was a man of reason and I was able to appease him by convincing him that this situation would be handled and assuring him that my son would never again shoot him or any other neighbors.

Adam, even at 5, knew the instructions. But the allure and desire of the forbidden was too great.

James 1:22 “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.” (NASB)

As with each of our children, Adam survived this incident (and a number of others) and I am pleased to report that just this week he completed his first year of law school. I am even more proud of the husband and father he is proving to be.

Bob

Comments

Jenny said…
Great story. It's so much funnier almost 25 yrs later, when you're not the 10 yr old sister in the background dying of embarrassment bc of your little brother's antics. haha!

Thanks for sharing about the friends who came for b'fast and a walk and the lady at the store. I think we all are learning very practical ways to reach out to others during their times of illness, heartaches, etc. through the ways others have reached out to us.
Anonymous said…
Hey ---- been missing your daily blogs and look forward to Fridays to hear how things are going. Sounds like slow and easy is the key here (especially on going shopping!)Glad you are able to do your walking. Sounds like you are in good hands over there. Patra, I love the pics of you and the kiddies. Thats a pretty big Mother's Day smile!Bobby,
hope all your numbers are getting higher and you continue to get stronger. We think of you and keep you all in our prayers everyday. ~~ Mary Lib
Anonymous said…
Hey, Bob,
Thanks for the update. We are so eager to visit you.
So be on the look out; we will be over your way SOON!!
Still praying and praising and loving you guys.
Lex and Linda
Pat Murphy Findlan said…
Beautiful pictures of the family in this weeks blog. Sorry I didn't make mention last week, Bob...just didn't come to mind :)

Love you all,
pat
Anonymous said…
Love the story about Adam..how did we even survive till they grew up with all their antics...now he has a little girl who will provide antics of her own...she has both her mom and dad's personalities..hopefully we will be able to see you both soon..love and prayers going your way.
Jon/Marily
Anonymous said…
Yet again, we have been blessed by your posts! Prayer, at any time, is so important and it sounds as though the clerk knew it was good to pray for you. Sometimes, we have to "take the moment" & do what is right. The look on Patra's face says it all about the grandkids, that is for sure! What precious little faces! The story of Adam brings back special memories with our son as well; a lot of times, just the twinkle in their eye, means they are thinking something for sure. I know one time, my son called me (he was in sixth grade) & just kept saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it won't happen again, I promise" When I picked my heart up off the floor, I blurted out - what did you do! He had gotten super-glue on my brand new sofa; I thought he had burnt the house down or something! Another time, he had the tape recorder sitting outside the garage door, with a note taped to it, saying "listen to this first" before coming into the house; I didn't know whether to enter or not. But now, he is a fine Christian man raising our first grandchild. It definitely helps to know that we stayed calm during those "storms" of life and the way we handle it as adults says so much to our children. Yes, we can be firm with the discipline and teach them there will be "consequences" to things, and to follow thru and lessons will be learned by all.
I love your "posts" and can't wait to read them each week!

Going to see my Daddy tomorrow; it being Armed Forces Day, two singers will be there along with an ice-cream social by the American Legion.

We continue to pray for your healing of your physical body! Take care my good man!

Ted & Carol W
Anonymous said…
Bob,what a sweet, beautiful family you have!!! Praise Him from Whom all blessings flow~~~ I know I say that lot - but the older I get, the more meaningful it becomes!
So you are getting out into little adventures now! How good it must feel to have more energy to do that! I pray that God continues to strengthen you as we trust Him by faith to heal according to His will.
Dave and I continue to pray together for you, dear teacher. We are looking forward to your teaching us again when you feel up to it again! Philippians 1:6
Love and prayers,
Ruthie (& Dave, too)